Grand Canyon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grand Canyon Reviews

June 16, 2012
Lawrence Kasdan and his usual players. What could go wrong? A lot. This whole movie felt forced and phony, like an early rehearsal.
June 12, 2012
If you're a thinker rather than a casual viewer, this movie can give you something.
June 12, 2012
There were some parts that were enjoyable, but they were few and far between and as a whole, the film was almost unwatchable. I probably would have walked out after the first 30 minutes had I not been watching it as a class assignment.
½ May 25, 2012
Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. Watching this in 2012 reminds me of how pompous the LA crowd is.
Critique Threatt
½ April 7, 2012
I really enjoyed this picture and a film like this (another being Crash) is what Americans need to see today. It made me learn more about people who are living in a heartless society, coping with near death experiences and split second discisons to act. America will always be plauged with race, class, gender and other issues (Capatalism at it's finest) but films like these is what's needed because it's a wake up call for the better. "Grand Canyon" isn't a film about certain types of class of people is more about breaking down barries and seeing life from a different angle with characters who happen to bump into each other and hopefully audiences will seem to care.

Director Lawrence Kasdan's Grand Canyon is a gathering of random events, uniting the film's wildly divergent protagonists. Driving home from an LA Lakers game, Mack (Kevin Kline), an immigration attorney, is stranded in an unsavory part of town when his car breaks down. He is rescued from a gang of hoods by Simon (Danny Glover), an African-American tow truck driver, inaugurating a friendship between these two men. Mack offers to repay Simon's kindness by helping his sister (Tina Lifford) find an apartment in a better neighborhood, and by arranging a blind date between Simon and Jane (Alfre Woodard), a friend of Mack's secretary Dee (Mary Louise Parker). Woven into this fabric are the tribulations of Mack's best friend, a pompous exploitation movie producer (Steve Martin), who is later wounded in a robbery similar to the one threatening Mack at the beginning of the film; of Mack's wife Claire (Mary McDonnell), who adopts an abandoned baby, and disenfranchised son Roberto (Jeremy Sisto); and of Simon's nephew (Patrick Malone), who is contemplating joining a street gang.
March 29, 2012
This movie made no sense to me. It's timeline went back and forth. Too confusing.
½ March 21, 2012
Wow, this film has a lot more nuance than "Crash". Maybe not as iconic as "The Big Chill", but still compelling. Lawrence Kasdan takes a look at urban life, albeit from a white elite perspective. Still, the film has something important to say about the sad state of the world we live in. Because not a lot has changed since its release, the film is not really dated either.
February 13, 2012
Solid film driven by the strong cast and script that remains watchable and relevant 17 years after it was released.
January 19, 2012
An uplifting drama from Larry Kasdan that takes a peek into the modern urban life, about the fear and confined spaces within which everyone's living.
The plot revolves around six characters, each of them having trouble to get on with their daily lives, for several different reasons. As these lives serendipitously criss-cross each other, they're convinced eventually that there's hope at the end of the tunnel.
November 18, 2011
One of the best American movies of the 90's. Still fresh and relevant today.
½ October 27, 2011
Not as melodramatic as 'Crash' and its characters are better drawn as well.
October 15, 2011
October 10, 2011
Another movie that I love to watch again and again.
September 28, 2011
Typical 80's film here. Black people in the 80's were (generally) ridiculously portrayed by Hollywood. This film is an uber example.
August 28, 2011
Its a tad pretentious and overblown overall, but the points it makes on race, integration, change, and understanding are remarkable.
August 7, 2011
Interesting but sad.
July 16, 2011
Dramatic and occasionally riveting. It really hammers home the social commentary and liberal navel gazing. A clumsy dream sequence is misplaced. The soundtrack is excellent.
July 8, 2011
Perhaps a bit overly dramatic at times and a bit too fantastical at others, but this is an interesting film nonetheless. It's basically "Magnolia", only almost ten years earlier and far more melodramatic than the more appropriate tone found in the later film. Maybe it was just Mary McDonnell's acting (and some of the minor characters) that bothered me here now that I'm thinking about it.
June 16, 2011
This was a very good movie. Similar to Crash, in everyone is interconnected.