Grand Canyon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grand Canyon Reviews

½ October 12, 2010
I was very pleasantly surprised by this film. Wonderful directing, writing, and cast. Very profound. About as deep as...I won't say it.
½ September 7, 2010
Revisited this one over the weekend for the first time in almost 20 years. When it was released, months after the Rodney King beating and the L.A. Riots, I think that this film felt more important. Hell, it won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival. Watching it now, it just feels like a mess.

"The Big Chill" remains one of my favorite films, but Kasdan doesn't capture any of the joy of that film here. Instead, "Grand Canyon" feels like "Boyz N The Hood" filtered through white guilt & privilege. Furthermore, Kasdan needed an editor. At a bloated 134 mins, the entire subplot with Mary-Louise Parker is extraneous.
August 7, 2010
Atrocious. Shockingly so. Coming off being perhaps the best screenwriter of the 80s, I can't believe that Kasdan turned out this utter dreck. Every single character's behavior is utterly perplexing, and then they all take pains to explain out loud what they are feeling, and that makes even less sense. The inciting incident of the whole film rings false, and everything that follows does likewise. The thing with The Big Chill, despite its flaws, is that it presented interesting situations, and semi-charming characters. This does neither. It feels like Altman borrowed from it to make Short Cuts at times, but even if he did so, he made the far superior film. A tedious, thorough disappointment.
July 22, 2010
A very interesting story with good performances...not over dramatised...and yes definitely very melancholy feel throughout but probably a realistic view of the world...i'm sure LA isn't all that bad though !!
½ July 17, 2010
goes into the catogory that Little Children and American Beauty go into...only not as good as those films, but still not a bad movie.
June 17, 2010
Your Senator happens to be very Liberal.You know who.
½ June 12, 2010
Grand Canyon (1991) -- [7.5] -- This ensemble drama from "Big Chill" director Lawrence Kasdan is perhaps the most metaphor-laden movie I've ever seen. The screenplay (cowritten by Kasdan and his wife, Meg) gets pretentious and overreaching at times, but a well-meaning message and a strong cast do a lot to compensate for it. Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Mary McDonnell, Steve Martin, Alfre Woodard, Mary-Louise Parker, and Jeremy Sisto are all terrific in their roles. Composer James Newton Howard contributes to the metaphor with a catchy, contemporary score that paints L.A. as the jungle it is.
May 20, 2010
A bit over the top but still a goos movie to watch if your in the mid life crisis stage
May 18, 2010
Almost like an unofficial prequel to Crash, but it really doesn't have the unique style or writing. It's pretty obvious that this was made to be an edgy race film and it almost has no purpose aside from that. A lot, if not all, of the characters are one-noted. It's good for a casual viewing in your high school classroom, but it is so unrealistic and negligent that it can't be taken seriously.
May 17, 2010
Felt a bit long, but it was alright.
May 4, 2010
When a lawyer's (Kevin Kline) car breaks down in a dangerous
Los Angeles neighborhood, a tow-truck driver (Danny Glover) arrives just in time to save his life. The two men begin a deep friendship that sets off a chain of unsettling and surprising events involving their families and friends for years to come.

also stars Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell, Mary-Louise Parker, Alfre Woodard, Jeremy Sisto, Tina Lifford, Patrick Malone and Shaun Baker.

directed by Lawrence Kasdan.
½ April 28, 2010
A nice, quaint and sentimental film that pats itself on the back in self-indulgence. This was the first film I watched in which Steve Martin does a dramatic turn, and while he was impressive, I found the film totally overrated.
½ April 9, 2010
This seemed like an even less-interesting predecessor to Crash (2003). A lot of characters have real, but common problems, and I didn't care about them because they all had about twenty minutes of screen time to deal with them. Just boring and stupid.
March 21, 2010
Originally saw this in the theater in 1991, and just watched
it again on DVD. I forgot how terrific this film is. It
is similar in many ways to "Crash", so if you liked that
film and haven't seen Grand Canyon, I'm confident you'll
like this too. For my part, I wish it was an Academy Award
winner, because I liked it far more than "Silence of the
Lambs", which won best picture in 1991.
February 20, 2010
Min absoluta favorit bland filmer.
January 30, 2010
A very well done character driven storyline, superbly acted by everyone in the film. The underratedness of this movie is a crime!
½ January 8, 2010
I could stand bits and pieces of this one...Watching the whole thing was out of the question..."
November 25, 2009
A pretty ensemble film about a bunch of peoples lives interconnecting in Los Angeles. It has a lot of great actors in it, and for the most part they do a good job. I definitely enjoy the film but I just cant rate it much higher given the abundance of better films with similar themes (Short Cuts, Magnolia, etc.)
November 9, 2009
A satisfactory drama that does make one's funny bone tingle once in a while; otherwise, ho hum!
October 19, 2009
This ensemble drama follows the lives of a couple of Los Angeles residents in the early 90s and their exceedingly pessimistic view on their lives and the state of the world at that time. Carried by excellent performances (Kevin Kline, Mary McDonnell and Steve Martin in a surprisingly serious, yet not entirely humorless role) the film develops a quite mesmerizing pace, despite of a few slow scenes (especially the dream sequences could have used some editing), also thanks to James Newton Howard's great soundtrack score. The fact that the film doesn't feel the need to end in a pretentiously dramatic and bad way is another big plus. It's keeping its optimistic view throughout the small twists of fate the characters have to go through, stating that it pays off to care about others and trying to help them out. And the final moments of the film are as overwhelming and humbling for the characters as for the audience. A smart, touching and heart-warming experience.