Medicine Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Medicine Man Reviews

October 25, 2018
Reviews don't do it justice. This movie is really amazing and should be required viewing.
October 14, 2017
What does not imply this is not a great movie with a pragmatic theme ?
August 5, 2016
MEDICINE MAN CURE CANCER!?!?
August 2, 2016
ok so in there effort to stop the bulldozing of the forest they burn down the whole forest, worst movie ever
May 5, 2016
Loved it. Felt motivated to write a review because I discovered it had a very low score. Damn kids these days wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the ass. I liked it then and I still like it now.
April 25, 2016
I thought this was a great movie. Well acted; beautiful scenery. Thoroughly enjoyable.
½ April 6, 2015
Connery is worthy the admission almost always just not in this crap.
September 4, 2014
I spent the summer of 1995 in Los Tuxtlas, Balzapote Mexico working for Earthwatch. This is where the movie Medicine Man was filmed. In addition to making fake, plastic trees and leaving them in the forest to confuse the ecosystem, the fire scene was real. The fire they started got out of control and so they simply filmed it! This movie actually burned the rainforest and it is was all about Hollywood trying to capitalize on the popular subject of conservation. When you watch the end where the fire burns the rainforest you are witnessing the real thing. People should know the truth.
-Sarah Pounders
½ August 26, 2014
How could a really good director disappoint me. Before this, John McTiernan gave us classics such as Die Hard and Predator, I have not seen The Hunt for Red October yet so I can't personally say if I think it is a good movie yet, but it would have to be better than Medicine Man. I looked and saw the bad reviews before I watched this, but I was still optimistic about this and kept an open mind and I didn't compare it with his other good movies and I thought maybe this would be just average, but I was still really let down by what I had been given with this film. I thought everything that I saw on screen could have been done in a better and more interesting way. The very beginning of the film, I was interested to see what would go down and as the movie went on, the story, plot, and pacing really dragged on, became boring, and I became less and less interested in the film as it went on. The script and dialogue could really have been improved upon and throughout the film I cared less and less about the characters. Lorraine Bracco who I loved in GoodFellas, became more and more annoying and unlikeable as the movie went on and I felt sorry for her being in this big disappointment and I wished I could have been more invested in her character. John McTiernan, what happened with you here? I really respect you as a filmmaker and you could have done so much more with this story and actually gave me characters I could really get behind and make things more interesting. Another thing that really bugged me about this movie was the dvd transfer, I thought it looked like crap and was lazily put together, I could have enjoyed the scenery and cinematography more if the dvd transfer was better done, I have seen dvds of movies that were older than this that looked far better. Reading the movie info on the back of the dvd case saying it had "thrilling, nonstop excitement" and throughout the whole movie I was asking myself, Where is the excitement?, and for me it was nowhere to be found here and the reviews on the dvd cover tell lies in my opinion. Besides all the bad things that brought the movie down, there are 2 positives I can still name. I thought the premise sounded really intriguing and it gave me a gleamour of hope that it could be a good movie and the last positive I have is Sean Connery's presence. He showed a little heart to his character and he was just a bit enjoyable to watch on screen, but he was still wasted here and he could have been given better material to work with.
July 20, 2014
One of the best movies of all times, so much critics tend to shield from its moral considerations
½ May 15, 2014
A family fav, its a sentimental jungle drama
½ February 22, 2014
While at times Sean Connery can get a laugh at times and the cinematography looks okay, the story is dull, the characters are annoying, and the message is so pounded into your head that mine actually began hurting after watching it.
½ February 10, 2014
Medicine Man is a decent film. It is about the value of preserving the rain forest for the preservation of our diversity of life. Sean Conner and Lorraine Bracco give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. John McTiernan did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.
January 27, 2014
The characters are complex and thoughtful, the story is both smooth and well paced and the look is wonderfully rich. This is one of the few action/romance type films I have seen where I actually buy into the premise that this could happen to two people. Add to this the realistic backdrop of ecological disaster and field research and this is a movie that is a cut above the usual fare. Unfortunately, it does not conform to the typical over-the-top stunt spectacular that is the typical adventure film, so will likely fail to entertain the attention challenged.
½ October 11, 2013
Lorraine Bracco was horrible in this.
August 16, 2013
older but still good
August 3, 2013
I liked the score by Jerry Goldsmith. I also like the environment as it was presented in the film.

I liked the scenes in the trees on the climbing harness. Those views were awesome.

I liked Sean Connery's character in this film but the girl from New York acted like a dumb blond who knew her science but nothing more.

The film is about who has the right to destroy someone else's environment on the basis of money when a home and a cure for medicine are at stake. The problems with threatening an ecosystem for anyone else's personal gain.

A themes in this film are still very applicable today.
½ May 23, 2013
An interesting drama/thriller about a rogue scientist so called medicine man and his miracle cure that supposedly cures cancer.

A rather low key, simple film that I was surprised that it was such a box office & commercial failure. I guess it's a little unusual in its story & performances.

Lorraine Bracco was great as the sidekick doctor that holds her own & the scenery & the look if the film is quite good.

It's a good solid film that just came & went, a surprise reply since its rarely mentioned.
May 13, 2013
I absolutly love this movie its right up there with lost in the barons and white fang in my book
March 5, 2013
Extremely boring. I don't think old Sean Connery makes a good action hero.