The Italian Job Reviews

• Dec 20, 2019

Why are you even reading reviews of this it's a classic just watch it 10/10

Why are you even reading reviews of this it's a classic just watch it 10/10

• Dec 15, 2019

Very quirky heist movie. Half expected Austin Powers to pop up for a dance scene. The "mafia" as depicted is very funny. Benny Hill in the cast is brilliant along with the other bumbling "pros". The heist and car chases are exceptional. Great Site locations. Very entertaining movie.

• Aug 13, 2019

I had to write a review because there are so many bad ones. Frankly, what's to dislike? I don't get all the stuff about it being British. It's not a film about Britain. Quincy Jones contributes a great song but it's not because he's American. I know most people don't like remake but give the Coen Brothers some credit: they make (mostly) great films (American as it happens) so they know a thing or two about what other great films look like. This is one of them.

• Jun 06, 2019

The longest Mini commercial I've ever seen...

The longest Mini commercial I've ever seen...

• Apr 29, 2019

The Italian Job (1969): 7 out of 10: Michael Caine plays recently released prisoner Charlie Croker who comes across a plan to steal Four million dollars in Chinese gold from the Italians. Charlie gets a mob boss (Noël Coward) to fund the expedition to Turin Italy to steal the gold. With his crew of thieves and drivers and one computer expert (Benny Hill of all people), they plan to create a traffic jam, steal the gold and escape in three mini coopers. The Good: I can watch Michael Caine in anything. Yes, even Jaws 4 the Revenge. He is simply one of the most watchable actors that have ever come down the pike. He is in full Michael Caine mode here, and this is indeed his movie. Lovers of old cars are in for quite a treat here. I won't start to list all the great vehicles featured in the film, but it is a lot more than just mini coopers. Okay, I will mention two, there are an absolutely gorgeous Lamborghini Miura and an Aston Martin DB4 convertible, I think the cars in the film are worth more than the gold they steal. Lovers of cars and Italian scenery are in for a treat as well since, as you can imagine, there is a bit of car chasing going down in beautiful Italian locations. The Bad: Michael Caine is excellent everyone else is⦠well there. Benny Hill is wasted, and I am much less of a fan of Noël Coward imprisoned mob boss than most. I am in general, not a chap who likes men in prison movies (Women in prison movies tend to be an entirely different genre) and Coward's character's arc seems to contain some of the worse tropes and silliness of the genre. Every time in a film there is a scene where all of the prisoners are cheering the one guy like it's some Adam Sandler sports comedy my eyes threaten to leave my head they roll so hard. The Italian Job is a very patriotic film bordering on nationalistic. The movie, of course, took place during a bit of a panic in Britain as it was considering joining the European Union, and had had a bit of economic malaise. Such feeling of Britain first became nostalgic as the years went by since the release of the film. With renewed interest in leaving Europe (To say the least), the nationalistic undertone of the film seems somewhat more in the forefront to the modern viewer, The Ugly: Speaking of nationalistic stereotypes, I am unsure if the Mafia in this film are hilarious or some sort of Italian blackface. I also have mixed feelings about the ending of the movie. Though kudos to taking the term cliffhanger to it's literal extreme. In Conclusion: This is fun. The scenery is excellent, The fashions are Austin powers O.G., The cars are fantastic, and it has Michael Caine. The rest of it well⦠did I mention the gorgeous Lamborghini Miura?

• Feb 02, 2019

Fun and stylish, the non CGI stunts stand the test of time, with the Mini escape sequence still great.

• Dec 26, 2018

Stealing Your Attention. The Italian Job Collinson's hilarious heist neither takes its audience seriously nor its characters. Infamous concept of his that has driven many of the heist storytelling in future, his intake on brimming his characters and incidents with light humor that helps move the pace with a smoothness that echoes throughout the course of the film, is frankly impressive. Having said that, it doesn't suggest that it is filmmaking at its peak, in fact the execution is too chalky and cheesy to pull off a decent conversation on screen. A conversation between Caine and Vallone that takes place in the middle of the tale, that is crafted out to ooze power and rage among these characters as they go head to head on screen, but unfortunately with corny camera work and questionable pauses, the entire sequence gets damp and soggy to hold on its own. Overstuffed with multiple characters, Collinson is the apt puppeteer to handle them on screen with ease. Among many highly dosed action sequences with long car chase and the makers boasting off on a larger margin of the production value through projecting jarringly behemoth antics, the bickering among the troop denses the material. And as much as appreciative this hard work is, it also raises skepticism among the viewers. Caine as the finest schemer among his radar speaks and walks with a calculative panache that neither grows shallow nor cheap to be off putting. With people pleasing one liners and cutthroat sarcasm, he stands along for his comical performance. Contrary to popular belief, amidst all the commercial hokum there lies an ironical and satirical layered concept left as a last knockout punch that undoubtedly comes as a surprise. Collinson's world is broken and mended repetitively, in its own uproarious stage, The Italian Job is a job done with passion if not utter talent.

• Jul 14, 2018

What a strange little film. So much of it was shot with little style or flair, but every once in while, when things get interesting, it can get very surreal. I have no idea why Noel Coward was in this movie, for instance. He was very entertaining though. And so many beautiful cars get destroyed. Still, Michael Caine makes just about anything entertaining. And I love the ambiguous ending. He's always got a great idea.

• Jul 11, 2018

Classic much better than the remake

Classic much better than the remake

• Jun 29, 2018

Kinda goofy. Some classic Caine.

Kinda goofy. Some classic Caine.