The Babe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Babe Reviews

½ September 22, 2016
John Goodman is great as Ruth. I just wish it was all true instead of based on real events. It could have been pulled off.
½ June 6, 2016
This film exemplifies the far left liberal desire to destroy white hero's and relegate all of their achievements to a few bathroom habits or peccadilloes. Something they never, ever do with their heros LBJ, Obama, Karl Marx, Mao or any minority member no matter how dirty or corrupt. The goal is always hatred of America, White Males and Capitalism.
½ April 23, 2016
John Goodman stars as the baseball legend Babe Ruth. The film documents the beginning of the Babe's start in a religious school, to his retirement. The film portrays Babe for the attributes he was known for which include the drinking, womanizing and generosity to orphans. The scenes which feature him doing this are not too great. The parts of the movie that document his baseball career could be better as well as the significance of some of the games is not evident. The Babe is not a horrible movie, but the great baseball legend deserves a better film.
March 5, 2016
John Goodman was great as the Babe
½ November 12, 2015
I watched some of this on TV a long time ago. From the bits and pieces I saw I liked it. I also saw The Flintstones movie on TV around the same time. And bought the movie right away. I don't watch movies I TV because they always take out the good parts.
August 8, 2015
As a life long Yankees fan, I have read a lot about, and admired Babe Ruth, since I was very young, but I never saw the film based on his life. I heard nothing but bad things about it, and as it turns out, my fellow critics were correct. The Babe is supposed to be a bio-pic from the birth of Babe Ruth, until his untimely death, however the focus of the film is a problem. Film makers portrayed Ruth as an ignorant man-child, a drunk, and an emotionally abuse husband and father. At times, he may have been all of those things, but they were merely a small part of his overall story. Little, if anything is mentioned about Ruth's infections personality, his generosity, or his activities off the field, besides his drinking. Ruth is portrayed as a man who gained fame, simply because of his ability to hit home runs, in a way that insinuates, he was lucky and didn't deserve all the fame and attention he received. The portrayal of the Babe isn't the only problem with this film, as the timeline and historic accuracy aren't even close to the truth. They show Ruth more with the Red Sox than the Yankees, insist that the majority of his fame came in Boston, and finally, they show his big seasons much later than they actually occured, and even go as far as to insulate, that they were in response to the media saying he was done. John Goodman stars as the Babe and he does a spot on portrayal, from the voice to the mannerisms, he was very very good, but it's overlooked by a film that stretched the truth to the point of being insulting to Ruth fans. The only thing I really enjoyed about this film, besides Goodman's performance, was a series of short films Ruth did with some orphans in the 1920's, that were included on the DVD. These shorts were much better and painted a much more accurate picture of the man, than this film ever did. The Babe is worth seeing for the performance of John Goodman, but be warned, it's a bio-pic that is more fiction than truth.
May 25, 2015
I loved John Goodman as the Great Bambino! This is an average bio pic, but he does a great performance!
December 24, 2014
Tres estrellas con todo y la maldiciĆ³n del bambino para mis red sox
½ December 16, 2014
I thought Goodman would be perfect for this role.....not so much that I was wrong but that I was dead wrong.
½ September 13, 2014
Like all true baseball fans Babe Ruth is still where we go when we begin speaking of the game that we love so much, and John Goodman is one of my favorites, which just makes the fact that this thing is this bad makes it even worse. Every time MLB plays it I end up watching, but I hate myself afterwards.
July 26, 2014
John Goodman is perfect as The Babe.
May 18, 2014
Certainly one of the top baseball films ever made. Fun for the family and also for baseball fans and non baseball fans. John Goodman does a good job at playing this difficult character that once walked this Earth.
½ December 28, 2013
A huge disappointment. The Babe paints a very harsh portrayal of an American hero. It has to be one of the worst baseball movies I've seen. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
MANUGINO
June 30, 2013
There Was Only One.

Good baseball movie! This film was genuinely uplifting and to all who only saw the negative side of this film, shame on you. John Goodman is a huge Babe fan and even he felt that this was an acurate portrayal of the Bambino. The film is inspiring, positive for the most part and it's made me feel good every time I've seen it.

The Babe is a biopic of George Herman 'Babe' Ruth. The film follows his seemingly bi-polar life from being abandoned by his father at an orphanage, to the discovery of his tremendous home-run hitting ability and finally to his later days. Several items from his legend are included (whether true or not) including: His calling of of a home run, the promise to a dying youngster to hit two home runs in a game that day, and the quote that he had a better year than the president.
½ June 29, 2013
Possibly the worst sports film I have ever seen. Goodman is absolutely dreadful and full of more ham than an entire delicatessen. Frankly, this film is an insult to Babe Ruth and everything he did. I wish this film was never made.
May 5, 2013
One of the best baseball movies. I thought it was entertaining throughout and undeserved of critics' "criticism". Hollywood just could not come up with a fictional Babe Ruth. I would suggest picking-up HBO's "Babe Ruth: The Life Behind The Legend" DVD.
TheDudeLebowski65
April 22, 2013
Considering that Babe Ruth is the greatest Baseball player that ever lived, you'd think that a film on his life would a memorable and highly entertaining film. The Babe is not a great film, but it's not an awful one either. As a whole it a fun little film that is good, but leaves a lot to be desired. There could have been many things that could have been improved upon, but for what it is, it's mindless entertainment value. I felt that considering Ruth's story, a film based on his life could definitely have been something great, but this film falls short. I enjoyed the film, but considering that Babe Ruth was such an icon, it could have been much better. Despite the inaccuracies, John Goodman is quite good in the lead and does what he can with the material. This film may appeal to Baseball fans, and they mind it entertaining and it is, but it far from what it could have been. The script is underdeveloped and there are clearly good ideas at work, but it plot could have been better structured. With The Babe, we get an underrated biopic of Babe Ruth, that is better than what most critics have said, but the definitive film on Babe Ruth has yet to be made. Entertaining and amusing, The Babe was made with inaccurate facts of Babe Ruth, instead opting for your typical Hollywood style storyline. Although flawed, I liked it, buy like I said, it could have been better as well. Although not the greatest Sports drama filmed, it is not the worst, that honor belongs to The Rookie, which was awful. Goodman gives the film its charm, and he is quite good here. The Babe is a fun little film that manages to overcome its imperfections due to an interesting subject.
½ March 30, 2013
Didn't learn a darned thing about Babe Ruth from watching this.
½ March 11, 2013
I enjoyed this movie. Sure,there are better baseball movies and this might not be 100% accurate, but still very entertaining.
February 5, 2013
In honour of the last regular season game at Yankee Stadium approaching (as well as the fact that it was on TV), I watched "The Babe" again. Not a great movie, but it is fitting that John Goodman was the right age, weight, etc to play a perfect Babe Ruth. Even the swing is perfect. The movie itself, is only fair. But worthy of a watch, just to see how flawed an American hero like Ruth, truly was. One weird trivia point: James Cromwell, not only plays in "The Babe" (Brother Mathias), but also became widely known for portraying Farmer Hoggett in "Babe". Weird.