The Babe Reviews

February 16, 2010
There Was Only One.

Good baseball movie! This film was genuinely uplifting and to all who only saw the negative side of this film, shame on you. John Goodman is a huge Babe fan and even he felt that this was an acurate portrayal of the Bambino. The film is inspiring, positive for the most part and it's made me feel good every time I've seen it.

The Babe is a biopic of George Herman 'Babe' Ruth. The film follows his seemingly bi-polar life from being abandoned by his father at an orphanage, to the discovery of his tremendous home-run hitting ability and finally to his later days. Several items from his legend are included (whether true or not) including: His calling of of a home run, the promise to a dying youngster to hit two home runs in a game that day, and the quote that he had a better year than the president.
April 21, 2013
Considering that Babe Ruth is the greatest Baseball player that ever lived, you'd think that a film on his life would a memorable and highly entertaining film. The Babe is not a great film, but it's not an awful one either. As a whole it a fun little film that is good, but leaves a lot to be desired. There could have been many things that could have been improved upon, but for what it is, it's mindless entertainment value. I felt that considering Ruth's story, a film based on his life could definitely have been something great, but this film falls short. I enjoyed the film, but considering that Babe Ruth was such an icon, it could have been much better. Despite the inaccuracies, John Goodman is quite good in the lead and does what he can with the material. This film may appeal to Baseball fans, and they mind it entertaining and it is, but it far from what it could have been. The script is underdeveloped and there are clearly good ideas at work, but it plot could have been better structured. With The Babe, we get an underrated biopic of Babe Ruth, that is better than what most critics have said, but the definitive film on Babe Ruth has yet to be made. Entertaining and amusing, The Babe was made with inaccurate facts of Babe Ruth, instead opting for your typical Hollywood style storyline. Although flawed, I liked it, buy like I said, it could have been better as well. Although not the greatest Sports drama filmed, it is not the worst, that honor belongs to The Rookie, which was awful. Goodman gives the film its charm, and he is quite good here. The Babe is a fun little film that manages to overcome its imperfections due to an interesting subject.
June 14, 2007
John Goodman turns Babe Ruth into an asshole - pretty much sums up the film.
½ November 20, 2007
its been a while but i remember liking this movie. john goodman is always good and the babe is a good time. while liking this flick, it was fairly historically inaccurate, but most of these movies are.
December 14, 2007
As a life long Yankees fan, I have read a lot about, and admired Babe Ruth, since I was very young, but I never saw the film based on his life. I heard nothing but bad things about it, and as it turns out, my fellow critics were correct. The Babe is supposed to be a bio-pic from the birth of Babe Ruth, until his untimely death, however the focus of the film is a problem. Film makers portrayed Ruth as an ignorant man-child, a drunk, and an emotionally abuse husband and father. At times, he may have been all of those things, but they were merely a small part of his overall story. Little, if anything is mentioned about Ruth's infections personality, his generosity, or his activities off the field, besides his drinking. Ruth is portrayed as a man who gained fame, simply because of his ability to hit home runs, in a way that insinuates, he was lucky and didn't deserve all the fame and attention he received. The portrayal of the Babe isn't the only problem with this film, as the timeline and historic accuracy aren't even close to the truth. They show Ruth more with the Red Sox than the Yankees, insist that the majority of his fame came in Boston, and finally, they show his big seasons much later than they actually occured, and even go as far as to insulate, that they were in response to the media saying he was done. John Goodman stars as the Babe and he does a spot on portrayal, from the voice to the mannerisms, he was very very good, but it's overlooked by a film that stretched the truth to the point of being insulting to Ruth fans. The only thing I really enjoyed about this film, besides Goodman's performance, was a series of short films Ruth did with some orphans in the 1920's, that were included on the DVD. These shorts were much better and painted a much more accurate picture of the man, than this film ever did. The Babe is worth seeing for the performance of John Goodman, but be warned, it's a bio-pic that is more fiction than truth.
½ February 13, 2010
A huge disappointment. The Babe paints a very harsh portrayal of an American hero. It has to be one of the worst baseball movies I've seen. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ June 29, 2013
Possibly the worst sports film I have ever seen. Goodman is absolutely dreadful and full of more ham than an entire delicatessen. Frankly, this film is an insult to Babe Ruth and everything he did. I wish this film was never made.
½ February 11, 2012
In the world of baseball, there's no kid out there who hasn't heard the name Babe Ruth. I can't even remember how I first learned about the Sultan of Swat. Maybe Ted Marrugi?

It was good to learn a little history about the man I knew so very little about. The movie seemed very rushed, especially the Babe's highlight years with the Yanks. But in the end, it was decent and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it.

Man, I can't wait for the season to start. Watching these baseball movies makes me want to go read tons of history and biographies about these teams and players.
May 11, 2007
Hands down the worst Babe Ruth movie ever made. Not only over the top, but so overdramatical that it tarnishes Ruth's memory.
August 11, 2006
This movie was great. John Goodman's protrayal of Babe Ruth was classic and perfect... just a huge lumbering drunken ass
May 25, 2015
I loved John Goodman as the Great Bambino! This is an average bio pic, but he does a great performance!
½ December 16, 2014
I thought Goodman would be perfect for this role.....not so much that I was wrong but that I was dead wrong.
½ September 13, 2014
Like all true baseball fans Babe Ruth is still where we go when we begin speaking of the game that we love so much, and John Goodman is one of my favorites, which just makes the fact that this thing is this bad makes it even worse. Every time MLB plays it I end up watching, but I hate myself afterwards.
May 5, 2013
One of the best baseball movies. I thought it was entertaining throughout and undeserved of critics' "criticism". Hollywood just could not come up with a fictional Babe Ruth. I would suggest picking-up HBO's "Babe Ruth: The Life Behind The Legend" DVD.
½ January 15, 2013
I like movies that make me think. If a movie can't do this then it probably won't keep me long. This was so entertaining that I couldn't help but continue watching. Goodman is very good as well as the rest of the cast. I'm not sure how accurate it was but they certainly relied on coincidence to allow for as many (historical?) events to make their way in as they could. There will be no tribute to this film in Canton anytime soon due to the fact that the film doesn't take itself too serious but Ruth is painted as a bit of a tragic figure without resorting to being sappy. NOT for children.
½ January 7, 2013
This film's quite boring in my opinion.
August 1, 2011
I didn't think this was as bad of a movie as most of the critics say. I mean, it is pretty cheezy, but it does tell the life of Babe Ruth pretty damn well. The acting wasn't the best, but they did do a really good job of making John Goodman look really young and then old too. Besides the end, when Babe has throat cancer, this is a pretty mood raising movie. It was really fun to watch, and although it has some flaws, it's a good movie all in all
July 4, 2011
the best movie by the great part that the hit with the fact of two home runs for that one sick boy that and has one of basball gods like hank aron barry bounds. watch it....
½ February 2, 2010
Could they have gotten a character double for the baseball scenes? I look more like a baseball player swinging the bat than John Goodman did. Movie was rather slow, and distorted some realities of his life, while not showing me anything I didn't already know. C'mon who is going to believe that the best and most popular baseball player of all time is focused on managing while still at the height of his talent and fame as a player? In reality, only when his skills had diminished did he yearn to become a manager.
November 27, 2009
This was a pretty decent film and I would say that John Goodman did an excellent job playing Babe Ruth. The one thing that bugged me was the fact that they tried to fit all of Babe Ruth's life within 115 minutes. So you could say that the film jumped around a lot and it did test my nerves a little. The rest of the cast was ok. I actually liked Kelly McGillis's performance more than Trini Alvarado. The movie was just a nice little film that was fun to watch. You find yourself enjoying how they bring up all the other baseballs players from the past.