The Cutting Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cutting Edge Reviews

½ November 6, 2017
The Cutting Edge is a decent film. It is about a temperamental figure skater and a former hockey player who try to win Olympic gold as a figure skating pairs team. D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Paul Michael Glaser did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
½ June 15, 2017
I?m not one who typically subscribes to the idea of ?guilty-pleasures.? I usually wear my opinions on my sleeve and don?t back down from praising movies I love, even if they are unpopular or much-maligned. So, I?ll just come right out and say, I have always loved The Cutting Edge. It is one of those movies that I connected with at the right age, and I have watched it regularly since then. The classic story of a romance born out of hate is done brilliantly here, because there?s some serious animosity between the two main characters and it shifts gradually over years. There?s something more authentic about that portrayal, and also more engaging to me.

Moira Kelly?s character is vicious, but it is born out of a real place of being both overly protected and overly spoiled. This makes her sympathetic despite the attitude. D.B. Sweeney isn?t the greatest actor, but he has a grasp on sarcasm that works well for his character. Finally, Roy Dotrice has one of the best fake accents I?ve heard, to the point where I just thought he was Russian. I like his mix of toughness and sweetness used to motivate his skaters. There are a number of other actors in the film who play off the leads nicely, so I wouldn?t replace any of them either. I also think the world of Olympic figure skating is shown with all its flaws and serves as a nice backdrop for their story.

The big flaw in the movie is one that is almost impossible to get around, because the actors aren?t really figure skaters. There are extensive quick-cuts and odd shot selection in the skating routines that don?t work all that great. The rink where they practice has almost no lights in order to make it easy to hide their faces. We don?t even get a good shot of their big move in the climax, I suspect because it isn?t even possible in reality. I forgive a lot though, because The Cutting Edge impacts me emotionally, and has a romantic story that works. It?s not going to be for everyone, and some people might want to ?revoke my man-card? for saying this, but I kind of love it.
April 21, 2017
only watch high. so 90s it hurts!!
March 7, 2016
Funny and charming, The Cutting Edge attempts to shoot for the stars and succeeds with flare due to the delightful, charismatic chemistry between D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly.
January 28, 2016
I lovvvveeedddd that movie! So, so, so kitsch, that's the beauty of figure skating !
January 8, 2016
I don't care that this is schmaltzy and over-the-top predictable. I don't care that anyone who watches actual skating knows that this isn't even close to a real competition. I've loved this movie for 23 years and the only thing I ever wish for is that Moria Kelly and DB Sweeney would have done more movies. This is my go-to when I'm sad and have a pajamas and Hagen-Daz kind of night.
April 27, 2015
Excelente filme. Todo filme deve ter uma proposta. The cutting edge tem uma proposta te promete algo e cumpre. Os personagens devem convencer e Moira Kelly e D.B Sweeney convencem.
½ April 7, 2015
Another in the list of chic flicks guys should run from.
February 25, 2015
A sports drama for the ladies. (But also not so estrogen-filled that it would alienate an open minded male audience.)
February 20, 2015
An enjoyable early '90's flick.
½ February 4, 2015
An interesting skating movie. Love the ups and downs.
½ December 31, 2014
Essentially the figure skating version of "The Taming of the Shrew." Moira Kelly plays a difficult figure skater who's too good for any of her male skating partners. That is until her coach gets desperate and pairs her with recently injured hockey player D.B. Sweeney. The taming portion of the story is fairly short, but the budding romance between the two is more of a star crosse story of snobs vs. slobs. During my video store clerk days this was a film that I never watched due to my dislike of romantic comedies, which really hasn't changed, but my like of Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney finally overcame that. The film was written by Tony Gilroy, who's go on to write major films like the Bourne films and "Michael Clayton" so despite it's feeble rom-com trappings, it's a plucky little script, ably directed by Det. Dave Starsky, Paul Michael Glaser. There's really nothing original here and it's completely predictable, but the film has two likable stars and it's all competently made, so you could do worse if you're in the mood for a light romantic comedy. This film did make me wonder what ever happened to these two leads. I really did like them back in the day. Sweeney came to my attention first in "Eight Men Out" as Shoeless Joe Jackson and I liked Moira Kelly in "Billy Bathgate" and "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" (she was also really cute in "With Honors"). Since they're 90s heyday, they really haven't done too much of note, which is too bad because they are both quite good actors. Also, look fast for Michael "Colonel Saul Tigh" Hogan who has a bit part as a doctor. I didn't recognize him, but I immediately recognized his voice.
June 28, 2014
One of the best romantic comedies ever. Very funny
½ June 19, 2014
Placer culpable... peliculón!!!
½ May 11, 2014
Two down and out athletes, a figure skater and a former hockey pro, team up for a series of training montages to become figure skating champs! This movie takes the training montage to a new level, having one after the other for the first 40 minutes, making sure they try to do each kind of training montage they can. Obviously they begin to fall for each other while their personalities get in the way...oh cliche movies! There are certainly worse movies, but this is more like a montage of montages.
February 1, 2014
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ January 23, 2014
This film is the turn off of all romantic films. It is unbelievably cliched, unbelievably corny, and it is believably terrible.
½ December 31, 2013
where the hell did moira kelly go? she was such a delightful actress who could act bitchy on screen, but yet so easy to love at the same time. the guy who plays starsky from starsky & hutch moved into directing films. one of his early works was the running man with arnold schwarzenegger. he reached the finality of his feature film career when he made the crappy movie kazaam with shaquille o' neal. now this film only works luckily to the great performances between moira kelly and d.b. sweeney. they make this film tolerable and enjoyable despite it's silliness.
½ December 8, 2013
been liking it since 92
November 29, 2013
An extraordinary work! The best love story ever told.