Kid Galahad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kid Galahad Reviews

August 1, 2016
all star wb cast in yet another boxing picture!
April 18, 2016
Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, with Michael Curtiz in the director's chair. What's not to like? No one did these socially conscious crime dramas like Warner Brothers. OK Wayne Morris in the lead role was a little flat but the rest of the cast put in great performances. Forget the Elvis Presley remake It was films like this that inspired Scorsese to make Raging Bull.
½ October 27, 2014
This gangster-boxing film with Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart and Bette Davis, though predictable, really scored a knockout with me. It definitely ranks amongst my favourite boxing films now.
½ October 5, 2014
You cannot possibly go anywhere near wrong in a film that has Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, and Humphrey Bogart...Knockout entertainment--Entertaining all star boxing drama with a strong emotional charge, and superb interpretation... Fast Paced Boxing and Betrayal!!
½ January 31, 2014
Decent boxing scenes (probably "swell" by 30s standards), but this is less a Rocky-style inspirational boxing film and more of a cross between the darker ringside dealings of the boxing industry and a typical romantic love triangle/rectangle melodrama. Thus the only (or at least main) reasons to watch it are the acting chops of the great Mr. G. Robinson, and those Bette Davis eyes...
½ September 14, 2013
Kind of a hokey boxers-and-gangsters picture, with some good actors in it to keep things entertaining. I like Edward G. Robinson as the larger-than-life boxing manager, and Bette Davis looks particularly fetching in this. The "Battling Bellhop" himself (Wayne Morris) is a vanilla stiff, and Humphrey Bogart is still going through his period of playing generic gangsters, so no great shakes from him. Predictable and sentimental ending aside, if you're a fan of any of the actors involved, 'Kid Galahad' is still worth a watch.
March 12, 2013
Edward G. Robinson is cast as a tough manager who discovers, quite by accident, a young bellhop (Wayne Morris) with a punch he feels is strong enough to win a championship for him...

When the fighter falls for his sister (Jane Bryan), Robinson decides to double-cross him and arranges a bout with a tough opponent he feels will beat the kid to pieces...

Bette Davis shows a softer demure and fierceness when required at the flick of a switch. I enjoyed this film!
½ December 17, 2012
Again, there are a lot of themes we've seen before... from movies that came later. That says a lot! The dynamic relationships are what's most intriguing here. Like most good stories this one is about friendship, love, idealism, loyalty, and redemption.
November 23, 2012
2: Davis looks great. I still don't really understand the fascination that gay culture has with her and Crawford, but she works well enough here. Bogart and Robinson turn in decent performances as well, but everyone seems to basically be going through the assembly line motions. This is no ones best picture, especially Curtiz's.
March 24, 2012
One day I'm going to meet a guy that can go the whole distance.

Nick Donati is a crooked fight promoter that wants revenge for a championship fight he was recently upstaged and lost a significant bet money on. He finds a young naive kid with a wicked right hand that has the potential to be a star; however, the kid's career can go many directions once he experiences some success. Can Donati groom the kid to become the eventual champion or will the kid fail before he ever reaches his potential?

"With a mother as nice as yours I can't understand how you turned out the way you have."

Michael Curtiz, director of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Hangman, We're No Angels (1955), White Christmas, Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and The Sea Hawk, delivers Kid Galahad. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. The acting is outstanding and the cast includes Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Edward Robinson, and Jane Bryan.

"You have dynamite in that right hand of yours."

I found this movie while flicking through Bogart pictures and was surprised at his role in this movie. He was a supporting character but played it very well. I really enjoyed watching the depiction of each character as they each seemed to have their demons to conquer. I strongly recommend seeing this picture. This is not Bogart's best film but this picture was fun to watch unfold.

"It's your own foul temper and dirty mind."

Grade: B
½ October 20, 2011
Edward G. Robinson puts in another impressive performance in this boxing film. Bette Davis is also very good and Wayne Morris does a fine job. The story revolves around the corruption of boxing and it is very entertaining.
½ August 25, 2011
Bette Davis, Edward G. Robinson and Humphrey Bogart. What more can you ask for.
½ August 16, 2011
Well-executed boxing tale has everything but it's primarily the story of ambitious, self-involved manager Nick Donati (Edward G. Robinson), who clings to grudges and dumps great fighters at the tiniest slight. Along comes Ward Guisenberry (Wayne Morris) - a pure-hearted bellhop with an explosive right - and everything changes. The story gets a bit maudlin in the last quarter, but Robinson and Davis are so good together it doesn't matter much.
February 16, 2011
Kid Galahad is just an okay boxing movie when you consider the talent involved. Edward G. Robinson seems to be just kind of... there and Humphrey Bogart merely turns in a canned Murderer's Row performance. Bette Davis plays a forgettable role but considering she's never looked better, I didn't mind. Kid Galahad definitely doesn't fall into the essential viewing category but if you're on an Edward G or Bogie kick that just won't die, its not a bad way to chase the dragon...
January 26, 2011
If you guys wanna check-out another good movie, here it is, Kid Galahad. The entire cast does a really great job moving the story along. [Edward G. Robinson was the best of the bunch.] Anyhoo...It's worth watching..Njoy!!!
½ September 18, 2010
This movie brings the words quaint and sentimental to mind. This movie combines elements of romance and sports drama in a nice way, but it was too nice I think, it could have been more realistic. In other words more conflict. Good, but it could be better.
January 25, 2010
Kid Galahad is an amazing film. Edward G. Robinson is excellent in his role. Bette Davis is up to her smart-as-a-whip self which makes it even more entertaining. Humphrey Bogart puts on a role of a scheming man that makes him look better than he already is. Near the end, the film started to derail a bit and got a bit pointless, but it was in good taste. It was well-directed with Michael Curtiz at the helm. I couldn't imagine anyone else directing this. This was an enjoyable movie.
½ December 3, 2009
Bette Davis, Edward G, and Bogart? How could I resist? Bette is beautiful and at her best as the gangster's moll, Edward G. is as always the quintessential mobster (all others are pretenders to the throne, and that includes Cagney!), and Bogart is a believable bad guy. This is head and shoulders above any other remake, and a damned good boxing movie.
December 2, 2009
despite bogie, edward g and bette davis, the film is just ok. the usual boxing cliches...anyway it's gotta be better than the musical remake with elvis :p
½ November 28, 2009
A great and realistic Boxing Drama with the one and only Edward G. Robinson as Box Manager and Humphrey Bogart as his Antagonist