Edward II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Edward II Reviews

½ January 26, 2009
One of the worst movies ever. Tilda Swinton was the only good thing about this film.
November 7, 2008
Very interesting movie--not what i expected.
July 30, 2008
In my book Tilda can do no wrong, but a Shakespeare-esque story with this much queerness should hold my attention better than this film did. I started and stopped it four times! yawn.
½ July 9, 2008
I hated it utterly. The acting was horrible, and Tiernan makes Gaveston so despicable that I couldn't see how Edward could love, or even like him. Horrid.
June 23, 2008
Yeah...not one of my favourites.
April 4, 2008
bon admettons, la scene avec annie lennox est bien aussi. et au moins elle ne trahie personne.
½ March 31, 2008
This is good but tres gay so those not into the culture stay away.
February 25, 2008
I didn't enjoy this as much as other Jarman, but it does not deserve 3 stars. So 4 it is.
February 18, 2008
what a great movie!!! such stark contrasts on the visuals!!! such anachronism!!!
January 30, 2008
I fell so in love with this film, absolutely loved the cinematography. Totally encapsulating. Annie and Tilda shine.
January 26, 2008
Starkly beautiful. A chilly, erotic update of the Marlowe play. The performances work perfectly with the austere sets. Jarman's use of light is especially interesting.
January 6, 2008
Average cast. I doubt the background of the history...
½ January 3, 2008
Sexy in a freaky way, and the scene in the hall with Annie Lennox is just astonishingly emotional, poignant and beautiful.
½ December 23, 2007
Of course, my favorite scene is when Annie Lennox appears and sings "Everytime We Say Goodbye" as Edward and Galveston part; and I loved every scene with the amazing Tilda Swinton in it! I have seen this film numerous times, and Derek Jarman's vision of Edward II (as well as AIDS funding and gay rights in the Thatcher era) never gets old! Shot entirely in a warehouse, the set, lighting and cinematography is stunning! I first saw this at a Jarman retrospective a year after his death, yet it is one film that has stayed with me ever since.
December 13, 2007
the masterpiece by Jarman, perfect cast, tiernan is jaw dropping gorgeous at tilda magnifiscently venenous
December 8, 2007
History is always a fantastic topic for making films. I think this film is an experiment.......and the data show that it's successful.
December 5, 2007
Jarman's adaptation of Christopher Marlowe's play still resonates, but more from its depiction of power-at-any-cost than bold representation of homosexual love and culture.
November 23, 2007
Not everyone can experiment with history and get away with it. RIP Derek Jarman.
November 15, 2007
Tilda Swinton is amazing, such a theatrical brilliance seldom to be matched. However, everything else seems just too much - there's too much dissillusionment with aithority and faith, too much pain... It's an interesting film, artistically, and somewhat true to the spirit of Marlowe (I think...), so I'll give it a ***
½ October 20, 2007
A bit shocking (if you're not used to homo erotic images) and sometimes a little melodramatic (the "i die a little" song was so cheese), but... it's very well made, and creepy.