Conquest of Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conquest of Space Reviews

½ December 12, 2014
I know that this film can be regarded as something of a classic 50s sic-fi movie, but my word is it bad. The opening, pre-credit sequence is actually very impressive but my advice would be stop it there as you've seen the best of it and save yourself the agony of the awful acting and terrible dialogue. Yes the film does predict some technological advances that at the time of its making could only be dreamed of but these are mere pretty window dressings to the crass performances and wafer thin story. Clearly based on a hackneyed story of a bullying commanding officer going loopy and leading his charges to the brink of disaster, the crew of the first manned mission to Mars seems largely to be made up of second rate Sergeant Bilko cast offs. These days, the cartoony personas, which may once have seen humorous are now just toe-curling and I wouldn't trust this lot to be able to organise a trip to the supermarket never mind land on the red planet.
½ August 31, 2013
Realistic and only slightly cheesy vision of the future 1950s style. Never dull.
½ August 17, 2013
George Pal's last SF film looked great in pre-Apollo days, but now it's a relic of the time. A real let down after War of the Worlds. Strictly for genre fans.
½ May 9, 2012
I loved it....incredibly interesting to watch.....if you want me to type more.... then I would say that at times it's bizarre.....it's always interesting visually...has a great soundtrack......and that I've never seen anything like it before.
½ July 24, 2010
Hadn't seen this in awhile and I must be in the mood for old spfx movies, and George Pal is one of the best! Made in 1956 it still carries the feel of World War 2 war buddy comradeship. A good performance by later Wild, Wild, West TV star Ross Martin who dies in a very disturbing way when a micro-meteroite punctures his space suit. Sometimes Pal's vision was very close to modern plans in travelling to Mars, but it's funny when a rocket comes to dock at the giant space station everyone has to fly over in space suits and then climb down inside the corridors on fabric ladders. His take on the mental breakdown of the General who builds the ship and station into a religious psychosis was very interesting, and how his son the Captain and the Sergeant (the Gen's Aide try to cover for him) Especially, in today's political climate. There's also an odd Father- son dynamic to the story where the son whose been on his Father's coat tails/ shadow ( Army war hero, space pioneer) has to deal with his Father's psychosis almost alone. I'm not sure Pal really meant to inject anysort of social commentary on the 1950's culture, but check it out for yourself. It's worth a watch.
½ April 12, 2009
Really cool, funny Technicolour space romp with more scientific trivia than it knows what to do with.
½ August 13, 2008
they don't conquer anything
½ March 4, 2008
The whole religious aspect of the films seems out of place and is rather curious, but the special effects are impressive. The story and the acting are fair.
December 30, 2007
George Pal's semi-goofy space opera starts out like a WWII navy drama set in orbit, but quickly degenerates into a weird Bible allegory about Man invading God;s domain. Brief subplot about sustainability, and not-entirely-laughable SFX for the time.
½ November 27, 2007
Man, I want to live in this future instead of the one I'm stuck in. The strangely innocent seriousness which is brought to the rigours of space life is very appealing.
½ November 1, 2007
Vintage stuff. A trip to Mars like it will never be! Special effects are not convincing, but there were no computers in the 50's.
½ July 1, 2007
Good effects for it's time, weak on the story.
June 10, 2007
Oh PUHlease!! Will you look where I'm from? Ha Ha!!
June 4, 2007
Another cold war space movie favourite of mine, Chesley Bonestell worked on this movie also which is an added bonus. The science may have been wrong as we currently understand it (plants on Mars) but it still is beautiful if retro by todays standards.
June 23, 2006
50's military stereotyping as it's finest. You could take this plot and it would work well in just about any enviroument. You *do* have to applaud the bravery of those folks willing to just float from shuttle to "The Wheel" without tethers or attitude jets of any kind - and NOT ONE missed!!