Ned Kelly (Ned Kelly, Outlaw) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ned Kelly (Ned Kelly, Outlaw) Reviews

February 18, 2016
Blame it on the Kellys.

You'll never get that ditty out of your head after you watch this. It's an oddity from the 1970's, more like a midnight movie actually, in which Mick Jagger makes his acting debut as the legendary Irish folk hero. Much like many of the films of this caliber, It's so kitschy that it's memorable. Mick Jagger is fantastic, and I love how it seems in almost any minute of this film, he looks like he's about to burst out dancing. The music is hilariously out of place, trying to sell this off an an American western when it is anything but, and yet that's what makes this film really charming. It feels rebellious and carefree. Unlike the Oscar-bait 2003 remake, this version of Ned Kelly truly captures the spirit of an outlaw.
November 10, 2013
Mick Jagger as Ned = legend
½ July 12, 2012
No Moves like Jagger in this one....no acting either. Good thing he always had The Stones. Worth a view for the soundtrack and a laugh.
September 28, 2011
A rather ponderous biopic on the Aussie/Irish outlaw. Some strange musical song segments slows the film down too
August 14, 2011
Never seen the movie but bought the album in 1970 and though the album is long gone there are some song s from it tha are still fixed in my mind
½ December 16, 2010
An interesting movie, which tries to show that Mick Jagger is a brilliant actor, I wouldn't say he's that good, but he's alright. The story is pretty good. It's a pretty good movie, but it could be better.
January 22, 2010
Could have been an interesting and deep study into what turns certain people into criminals, but wrecked entirely by Mick Jagger's acting. Probably the most unconvincing performance in the history of cinema.

Direction is fairly unimaginative too.

Interesting as a documentary / biopic only.
May 31, 2009
Australian western starring Mick Jagger. Shot in New South Wales rather than on location in Victoria. Original songs for the movie written by Shel Silverstein and sung by Waylon Jennings. In my opinion, this movie is awesome.
April 27, 2009
Ho ho ho.Total tosh. Another film I should have seen years ago but was spared til now. I just don't understand why Sir Mick doesn't do 'Wild Colonial Boy' at Stones concerts. I'll write and ask him to for the next tour.
½ November 21, 2008
Really f'in' boring.
September 15, 2008
From Oscar-winning British director Tony Richardson, comes his version of the telling of the titular Australian outlaw, but it isn't without it's faults. Released from Beachworth Jail in 1871, it has Ned Kelly (Mick Jagger) coming home to his family, and resorts to stealing horses to keep his family, but after his mother is wrongfully imprisoned for shooting a policeman, he turns against the state with his 'gang of brothers'. It looks good visually, and the countryside of South-Eastern Australia looks beautiful, and the soundtrack comprising of songs sung by Waylon Jennings, (best known for The Dukes of Hazzard) is top-notch. The film is only let down by it's lead in Mick Jagger, merely a piece of stunt-casting. Kelly was well-built, Jagger is skinny, plus he struggles with an Irish accent and has a very stupid beard. This aside, it's well made, oh, and look out for Mark McManus (from Taggart) as Kelly's mate, Joe Byrne. :P
July 26, 2008
Very tough to watch, Jagger should not lead a picture and he is no tough guy! He is funny though, doing those rooster poses at times... The whole Irish resistance against the English in Australia was confusing, especially with the absence of any local Aussie accents! The tunes from Waylon Jennings who did them old 'Dukes of Hazzard' was also annoying after hearing it over and over.. I really want to see the more recent remake that seems more straightforward...
July 12, 2008
Hmmmm.... an interesting casting decision to say the least, but Mick was the only one to get screen time and the whole story was a mess.
½ June 7, 2008
Should have been called "Ned Kelly: The Folk Musical". Underwhelming movie, interspersed with country/folk narrative songs. Barely watchable.
½ May 11, 2008
There's little one can say about this because, in large part, this was just confusing. Some of the scenes aren't connected at all, and it seems that they took several historical instances, filmed them, but didn't bother to explain how one gets from instance to the next, other than by having scenes that they play country music over.
March 28, 2008
This was pretty boring. I actually don't have anything to say about it, except that Mick Jagger's beard was hideous.
January 29, 2008
For referential posterity, never ever score a movie, based in 19th century Australia with Irish characters, using a corny country singer like Waylon Jennings. Just a thought. Mick Jagger's actually not bad in this but there's too many bad musical segues for pace.
½ January 25, 2008
haha, obviously loved it :-)
January 16, 2008
I bought this cuz the box looked cool. Great story and soundtrack, but I don't connect with the characters and it's too slow
January 14, 2008
very well acted, and much better than the remake, which i couldn't even get into. i just think that the pace of this is a little more believable.