The Sea Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sea Wolf Reviews

October 14, 2016
A Hollywood classic from the golden age of film, with an outstanding Oscar-worthy performance from Edward G. Robinson and an excellent performance by John Garfield. Great old character actors, wonderful black and white cinematography, a marvelous score by Eric Wolfgang Korngold , and a story by Jack London as the basis of the script--what more could one ask for?
August 24, 2016
When will this be available on DVD please?
½ August 7, 2016
A tyrannical reign of a captain over a crew of convicts. Some great nautical drama here.
November 6, 2015
Mildly interesting sea drama.

An assortment of characters are travelling on a passenger boat when it is accidentally rammed and sunk by a freighter. The survivors are picked up by a ship, captained by the callous, ruthless Captain "Wolf" Larsen...

Reasonably interesting but not overly so. Plot doesn't always develop in a coherent or plausible fashion. Still, quite intriguing and exciting at times.

Performances don't help the movie. Edward G Robinson puts in a good, suitably dark and sinister, performance as Captain Larsen. However, much of the remaining performances feel quite hammy - grandiose language, speech-like dialogue, overly dramatic, like a play. John Garfield and Alexander Knox are particularly bad. Ida Lupino is reasonably convincing in he role though.
October 16, 2014
Beautifully shot film, with incredibly atmospheric street, ship and sea based scenes, remarkable considering it was surely all set-bond work. Eddie G is typically great as a repulsive yet compelling character, he really sells Wolf Larsen well (except for arguably the physicality of the bloke). The support cast are variable, with Fitzgerald as Cookie a standout. Garfield and Knox are ok as the nominal heroes, but Lupino doesn't really amount to much more than a tacked-on romantic subplot. Plus the film ditches some of the best stuff from the final half of the book. Yet the story is still solid and the themes about the darkness and desperation of men at the end of their tether with no way out are palatably grim. In a good way. Certainly no Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but totally worth a look.
May 3, 2014
An ego like this must be constantly fed.

Captain Wolf Larsen is a ruthless leader that delivers his orders very deliberately. The crew mutinies and causes an uprising onboard. There are a couple men who don't want to get caught in the middle and try to get off the boat; but at every turn, they find themselves in the thick of things. Will the crew or Larsen ultimately control the ship?

"You're soft like a woman."

Michael Curtiz, director of White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawks, Dodge City, Four Wives, Four Daughters, We're No Angels, Breaking Point, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Kid Galahad, delivers The Sea Wolf. The storyline for this picture is fairly entertaining and the villain is very well done. The acting was solid and the cast includes John Garfield, Edward Robinson, Ida Lupino, Alexander Know, and Barry Fitzgerald.

"You're disobeying orders."
"I don't like the way you give them."

I am a huge Michael Curtiz fan and watch as many of his films as possible. I grabbed this off a Curtiz marathon on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). Overall, I definitely found this to be an entertaining picture and a nice addition to the genre, but I would only watch this once and wouldn't purchase it.

"Good first mates are hard to find."

Grade: B
March 10, 2014
good action adventure yarn
April 22, 2013
A work of poetic literature skillfully put on film.
June 14, 2012
Would love to see it.
½ April 1, 2012
Atmospheric and Exciting!!
½ April 9, 2010
A grim tale of desperation, but Edward G. Robinson is the focal point of the movie with his strong performance.
April 1, 2010
April 1, 2010
83/100. Michael Curtiz has done a remarkable job creating the atmosphere for this film. The cast is superb. Edward G. Robinson is excellent, John Garfield, Ida Lupino, Alexander Knox Gene Lockhart and Barry Fitzgerald all give powerful performances. The cinematography is very moody and the score is top notch. The story is excellent and the characters are well established. Good art direction and the special effects were nominated for an Academy Award.
½ March 22, 2010
Edward G. Robinson owns this movie. He is a huge jackass. I like the way he tortures the crew. I would do the same. This is a great looking movie as well. Take a look if you have the chance. You wont regret it.
½ March 16, 2010
Edward G. Robinson again in classic form. I am so used to seeing him as a gangster, this is refreshing to see him as a sadistic sea captain.
½ February 21, 2010
Compelling (and notably acted) character drama justifies peculiar narrative point-of-view hops that take place naturally and almost without notice.
½ November 8, 2008
before you judge, see this movie. because of the visual style and its release from warners, it has the noir feel. it's more psychologically driven than most noir, but it is as connected to the idea of opposing corrupt forces as 'chinatown'.
jjnxn
September 7, 2008
Great atmosphere and performances.
½ October 30, 2005
I haven't seen [i]Saw[/i] in its entirety since it was in theatres, so it's hard for me at the moment to say whether I liked [i]Saw II[/i] better than the first, but I think it's definitely just as good. Each had their own better aspects than the other, and each were really great. I'm enjoying the [i]Saw[/i] series, and I wouldn't mind having a new film come out each Halloween.

I made sure to see [i]In Her Shoes[/i] this weekend before it left theatres. I think Curtis Hanson is one of the best directors working today, and his new film keeps that thought in my head going. [i]In Her Shoes[/i] is really funny at times, really dramatic in others, sad in some, and happy and fun the rest. It covers all the bases, and I had a great time watching the women of [i]In Her Shoes[/i].

[i]Capote[/i] was just as great as I was expecting. I went into the film not really knowing anything about Truman Capote other than being the author of [i]Breakfast at Tiffany's[/i] and [i]In Cold Blood[/i], so it was pretty new to me. And pretty fascinating too. Phillip Seymour Hoffman better get the Oscar he's so deserved for so long.

[i]The Sea Wold[/i] is the second of four films I'm watching in the Edward G. Robinson retrospective at the Cinematheque in my school. I'm especially excited for the next two though, [i]Double Indemnity[/i] and [i]The Cincinnati Kid[/i]. But anyway, [i]The Sea Wolf[/i] for those not familiar with it is about an overbearing captain who picks up two survivors of a shipwreck, but makes them work on the boat until they reach a dock, which he said would be a long time. And it's about the new people aboard, and the captain and troubles there are on board, as they sail all day and night without stopping as they're being chased. Anyway, crappy summary, but great film.