Homecoming - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Homecoming Reviews

½ March 8, 2011
Homecoming is an enjoyable piece of film making. It is about a doctor who joined the army as something to do rather than the patriotism. Lana Turner and Clark Gable worked well together and were likable in this World War II drama. The screenplay is well written. Mervyn LeRoy did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the romance. Homecoming is a must see.
October 18, 2010
Homecoming (1948)

This post-war romantic melodrama was directed by Mervyn LeRoy. The older, more mellow (and yet still very romantic) Clark Gable is more what I'm accustomed to seeing as I was growing up watching movies and this side of him is shown at it's best. The story is told in flashback, as a broken Major Ulysses Johnson (Gable) is shipped back from the war in Europe.

Before he was a shallow surgeon at a prestigious hospital. He enjoys his privileged lifestyle as well as being married to beautiful and loving Penny (Anne Baxter). When his old friend Dr. Bob Sunday (John Hodiak) asked for his help influencing his colleagues, to do some pro bono work to right the terrible health conditions in a poorer neighborhood of town, he's just too busy to help. Later Ulysses joins the Army and is shipped off to Europe to work in a MASH unit.

He's assigned a mouthy Lieutenant Jane McCall (Lana Turner) who everyone calls Snapshot and the sparks fly. Snapshot is a very efficient nurse and really takes good care managing the MASH unit, but she's not above telling Ulysses, (who she nicknames Useless) what she thinks.

You know that in the dangers of battle that these two will grow fond of each other and that will blossom into love. It's not only the war that changes Ulysses, but the love of idealistic Jane. Of course this has always been an on-going theme that is in Gable movies.
July 19, 2008
Thoroughly enjoyable movie, very moving and contains some very stirring moments, some which left a few tears on my face. Sadly, it's almost a look into what Clark Gable really suffered as he lost his beloved wife, Carole Lombard, in a plane wreck as she helped in the war effort and how after Gable returned from his own war duty he was a changed man. Terrific performances by Gable and Lana Turner. Turner's performance in this movie should be considered one of her best.
February 14, 2008
i have not seen this one
September 19, 2007
my moms and i fave of all time!!!
September 17, 2007
I don't think I've ever watched the whole thing.
½ May 14, 2007
i think i saw this in english class
½ April 19, 2007
i think it's a imagination of someone who creative his opinion.
½ February 1, 2007
Anne Bancroft gives a stellar performance in this sure to be family classic. The young actors are great in their roles too.
½ December 7, 2006
Rip my heart out, why don't ya?
½ November 16, 2006
This was a good movie about the Walton Family.
½ June 15, 2006
Id cry if my mom was insane and abanond me too!