Matinee - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Matinee Reviews

November 3, 2016
john goodman should be walter sobchak in every movie he's cast.
½ September 10, 2016
I'll be honest, the first hour felt like a drag and so boring, minus the scenes with John Goodman and the B-movies spoofs, but in the last 34 or so minutes of the film, that was where things got good and suspenseful.
½ June 13, 2016
Cute, charming flick by fav Joe Dante, with Goodman and Moriarty making a nice duo. However, the nuclear crisis is something I find hard to be humorous about, since the Soviets gave the order to launch and only a Soviet officer named Archipenko saved the world from nuclear war by refusing to give the third code. He was dismissed from the military in dishonor for saving the world. And now there is Republican candidate Trump threatening to "nuke 'em" if other countries do something he doesn't like. I wonder if one of our officers would end his career by refusing to launch if Trump wins and gives the order.
May 1, 2016
Matinee is an absolute gem! Easily my favorite movie about watching movies. If someone were to ask me why I love movies so much, I would just tell them to go watch Joe Dante's Matinee. Probably the most under-rated, under-valued, and criminally under-seen film in existence. A film that is a love letter to the joy and wonder that film is along with the experience that goes with watching a film at the cinema. I smiled constantly for 95 minutes. One of the sweetest films I have ever seen. A new all-time favorite of mine. If you're a fan of cinema, this is an absolute MUST SEE!

P.S. - John Goodman is sensational in this role. This honestly might be my favorite performance of his. Just another reason why John Goodman is my favorite character actor of all-time.
April 21, 2016
Not spectacular, but a moderately entertaining period piece. It was a nice tribute of sorts to cinema and movie premieres. (First and only viewing - 4/20/2016)
January 4, 2016
A heartfelt homage in love with the movies. Great cast led by a wonderful John Goodman. Thank you Joe Dante.
½ December 15, 2015
If Joe Dante made a Spielberg movie
½ May 30, 2015
Matinee is possibly Joe (Gremlins, The Burbs) Dante's least known film, which is a shame because it's great, a wonderful coming of age, nostalgia piece set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, its both a funny, sweet love letter to old b-movies and a kind of parody, sometimes tone is a problem, after the mostly grounded first two thirds the final act swing into an out and out teen adventure type movie, with it's peril and action, is a bit jarring, but it's so well made, so smart and lovely that it's easy to just go along with some of the more unbelievable stuff. It's also got an incredibly bitter and tragic sting hidden underneath it, hinting at the real life horror to come in this chaotic period of American history, if you pick up on it, you'll never hear "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in the same way again. Chilling.
April 8, 2015
This is the one movie I wish I could have been in as a kid.
½ March 8, 2015
Though you may drift off at times, Matinee is a very creative, intelligent, spot-on homage to B-movies that is well worth your attention.
½ November 10, 2014
im a joe dante fan, and id never gotten to seeing this one of his, its fun and enjoyable, especially if you're familiar with those cheesy 50s sci fi films, goodman and moriarty are both good, tho i wish dick miller and john sayles had more scenes, the kids did good jobs too
½ August 6, 2014
Inspired spoof based on a not-so-far-out premise. It meets the B-movie half way; John Goodman's character saves the day but is unable to save some of the bad acting
June 8, 2014
I actually quite enjoyed this one, I had never seen it before. It's a love letter to movies, and in particular William Castle. It's a lot of fun, from the director of "Gremlins". if you like movies, give it a try.
May 24, 2014
Fun! Carl Jung wrote a book on Flying Saucers that sorta relates to this.
½ April 15, 2014
En hyllning till 1950- och 60-talets monster-gimmick-filmer, när biobesökarnas upplevelse berikades av elstötar, sprutande vatten och vibrationer. Filmen utspelas dessutom på Key West under pågående Kubakris, och är till stora delar en high school-rulle. John Goodman som banbrytande och helnördig filmproducent charmar arslet av de flesta, och som vanligt öser Joe Dante en oerhörd massa gamla scifi-filmreferenser över en. Ett tips: filmen i filmen, "MANT!", finns att se i sin helhet på Youtube. Klockren rakt igenom, och faktiskt bättre än filmen den figurerar i.
February 27, 2014
My kind of movie. Seriously, where has this been all my life. However I don't know if I would of got this as a kid as much as I do as an adult. Basically John Goodman is William Castle, (based off him) the filmmaker responsible for his gimmicks. Something I think is missing in modern cinema. Apart from Goodman's character, the movie's a coming-of-age story. Just a safe, fun flick by one of my favorites, Joe Dante. I want to be John Goodman's character!
January 30, 2014
'Matinee' is light-hearted fare, sure, but lots of fun for movie buffs who love b-grade 1950s and 1960s monster movies--Monstrously delicious!!
½ October 26, 2013
Love this this for the ambivalent cold war feel, and the great John Goodman. I still remember piling under my school desk in the early 80's for nuclear attack drills, and the sound of the air raid sirens.
October 6, 2013
A love letter to movies, but a not too serious one. Fun Key West nostalgia.
½ September 23, 2013
Rewatching a fun movie starring John Goodman as a character based on real life schlock horror film maker William Castle. A mix of serious themes, coming of age comedy, and period parody. Contains some great lines and a fine performance by John Goodman.