Matinee - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Matinee Reviews

July 24, 2017
Dante's film is a beautiful love letter to films of the 50's and 60's, equally as impressive with the social commentary on film-makings genesis and flaws. Goodman is truly superb, he's charismatic and plays the audiences emotions throughout. The supporting cast and child actors are all good, great dynamics and make the films drama entertaining.
May 4, 2017
Not spectacular, but a moderately entertaining period piece. It was a nice tribute of sorts to cinema and movie premieres. (First and only viewing - 4/20/2016)
½ April 8, 2017
One of Joe Dante's, the guy behind the "Gremlins" series, lesser known efforts.
It's a cool story where we follow John Goodman as Woolsey, a horror director that never seem to get as known as he'd like.

The world is in the middle of the Cuban missile crisis and everyone is on the edge of they're seats, so it seems like the perfect time to add some suspence to an already exciting film. He directs "Mant!" a film about a man bitten by an radient ant... Effects like vibrating scenes, smoke, thunder and pyro into the movie theatre are a nice idea, combined with staged nurses that make sure everyone put their names to a paper in case of a viewer heart attack. The don't want to get sued, you know. At the same time some young kids are trying to impress girls at school - as everyone knows this is not easy business, but being a tough guy at the movies might help.

The blend of the several plots here are very good. We see several minutes of "Mant!" but also what's going on behind the scenes when it's time for the big premiere. A film in the film, get it?

Time flies and this is very enjoyable. Pretty funny film and I like both the characters and actors here. Solid stuff. A b-movie tribute in a neat packaging.

7 out of 10 Bill's.
March 2, 2017
Fun homage to the horror genre, but it's quite an inventive storyline in its own right.
½ December 14, 2016
A sweet little coming-of-age picture that is highly representative of it's time period. Any movie buff should have a good time with it.
December 6, 2016
A love letter to cinema
November 3, 2016
john goodman should be walter sobchak in every movie he's cast.
½ September 10, 2016
I'll be honest, the first hour felt like a drag and so boring, minus the scenes with John Goodman and the B-movies spoofs, but in the last 34 or so minutes of the film, that was where things got good and suspenseful.
½ June 13, 2016
Cute, charming flick by fav Joe Dante, with Goodman and Moriarty making a nice duo. However, the nuclear crisis is something I find hard to be humorous about, since the Soviets gave the order to launch and only a Soviet officer named Archipenko saved the world from nuclear war by refusing to give the third code. He was dismissed from the military in dishonor for saving the world. And now there is Republican candidate Trump threatening to "nuke 'em" if other countries do something he doesn't like. I wonder if one of our officers would end his career by refusing to launch if Trump wins and gives the order.
May 1, 2016
Matinee is an absolute gem! Easily my favorite movie about watching movies. If someone were to ask me why I love movies so much, I would just tell them to go watch Joe Dante's Matinee. Probably the most under-rated, under-valued, and criminally under-seen film in existence. A film that is a love letter to the joy and wonder that film is along with the experience that goes with watching a film at the cinema. I smiled constantly for 95 minutes. One of the sweetest films I have ever seen. A new all-time favorite of mine. If you're a fan of cinema, this is an absolute MUST SEE!

P.S. - John Goodman is sensational in this role. This honestly might be my favorite performance of his. Just another reason why John Goodman is my favorite character actor of all-time.
January 4, 2016
A heartfelt homage in love with the movies. Great cast led by a wonderful John Goodman. Thank you Joe Dante.
½ December 15, 2015
If Joe Dante made a Spielberg movie
½ May 30, 2015
Matinee is possibly Joe (Gremlins, The Burbs) Dante's least known film, which is a shame because it's great, a wonderful coming of age, nostalgia piece set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, its both a funny, sweet love letter to old b-movies and a kind of parody, sometimes tone is a problem, after the mostly grounded first two thirds the final act swing into an out and out teen adventure type movie, with it's peril and action, is a bit jarring, but it's so well made, so smart and lovely that it's easy to just go along with some of the more unbelievable stuff. It's also got an incredibly bitter and tragic sting hidden underneath it, hinting at the real life horror to come in this chaotic period of American history, if you pick up on it, you'll never hear "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in the same way again. Chilling.
April 8, 2015
This is the one movie I wish I could have been in as a kid.
½ March 8, 2015
Though you may drift off at times, Matinee is a very creative, intelligent, spot-on homage to B-movies that is well worth your attention.
½ November 10, 2014
im a joe dante fan, and id never gotten to seeing this one of his, its fun and enjoyable, especially if you're familiar with those cheesy 50s sci fi films, goodman and moriarty are both good, tho i wish dick miller and john sayles had more scenes, the kids did good jobs too
½ August 6, 2014
Inspired spoof based on a not-so-far-out premise. It meets the B-movie half way; John Goodman's character saves the day but is unable to save some of the bad acting
June 8, 2014
I actually quite enjoyed this one, I had never seen it before. It's a love letter to movies, and in particular William Castle. It's a lot of fun, from the director of "Gremlins". if you like movies, give it a try.
May 24, 2014
Fun! Carl Jung wrote a book on Flying Saucers that sorta relates to this.
½ April 15, 2014
En hyllning till 1950- och 60-talets monster-gimmick-filmer, när biobesökarnas upplevelse berikades av elstötar, sprutande vatten och vibrationer. Filmen utspelas dessutom på Key West under pågående Kubakris, och är till stora delar en high school-rulle. John Goodman som banbrytande och helnördig filmproducent charmar arslet av de flesta, och som vanligt öser Joe Dante en oerhörd massa gamla scifi-filmreferenser över en. Ett tips: filmen i filmen, "MANT!", finns att se i sin helhet på Youtube. Klockren rakt igenom, och faktiskt bättre än filmen den figurerar i.