Unforgiven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unforgiven Reviews

May 21, 2017
Happened to find this movie by chance. Beautiful masterpiece by Clint Eastwood.. Typical western cowboy movie and excellent performances by Morgan Freeman & Clint Eastwood.. Shows the emotional journey & varying perspectives of few killers - 2 experienced ones and an amateur / beginner.
The experienced killers struggle with their emotions to kill people (used to be arrogant and killed people for fun in their youth); they do not gloat with glee on the number of kills they have done so far - rather they are filled with remorse and fear.
Whereas the amateur has never killed a soul so far but boasts of having killed 5 people (when truly his eyesight / aim is quite bad). Surprising to find a cameo by the first Dumbledore Richard Harris in this movie :) (can't imagine him in any other role) !!
April 16, 2017
The reason I'm not a fan of westerns is because of how dull they look and feel, and how pushed the heroism angle is. Unforgiven breaks all the cliches Stagecoach and The Big Trail cursed upon its genre. This movie is beautiful and gritty, a haunting tale of how violence affects a person and dehumanizes them.
April 11, 2017
Okay first things first, I realize that that the cowboy did a really awful thing by cutting up that girls face, but I really didn't feel like death was an acceptable punishment for him. He should've gotten the shit kicked out for sure, but killing him?
English Bob seemed like a very cool character but in the end his story didn't lead anywhere and I was very disappointed in that area of the film. Other than that, a lot of the plot moved far too slow for my liking, and I found myself very bored with this otherwise competent and mildly interesting film
April 8, 2017
Why this film has 95% is beyond me.. It is sooooooo boring. In all fairness, I didn't watch the whole thing - I fast forwarded A LOT of the scenes, so maybe if I tie myself to a chair and force myself to watch it, i would realize it wasn't that bad. But for me to fast forward the scenes kind of mean it sucks at the beginning.
April 7, 2017
This Is My Favorite Clint Eastwood Film.
March 12, 2017
Unforgiven is not your tipycal, lovey-dovey, good guy, western. Director/Actor Clint Eastwood reinvents the western genre into a much more merciless and ugly type of flick. And that's why this movie is so great, along with a great trio of actors that play memorable and likeable characters that we really get attached to, and good cinematograhy that sets the mood for westerns, this movie will always be remembered as a cool classic western. Recommended !!
March 6, 2017
Eastwood's best movie and my favorite Western.
½ March 2, 2017
Unforgiven is dark and uncompromising, showing the effects of violence on those who perpetrate it.
½ February 28, 2017
Clint Eastwood delivers yet another memorable western.
February 23, 2017
you can't make a movie more perfect than this.
February 5, 2017
Amazing movie. Great cast with a nuanced story.
February 4, 2017
Quite simply one of the greatest Westerns ever made. Clint Eastwood is as iconic as ever, and the supporting cast, notably Martin Freeman and Gene Hackman, are superb. I first saw it when I was in my teens, and I loved it then, and I still love it now. It's a slow burner but nothing is wasted in developing the characters and story. It's high time Warner Bros got off their horses and gave this classic a full Blu-Ray remaster in the audio and video department, and this time don't forget to give 'Unforgiven' a lossless audio encode! 5/5*
January 31, 2017
Unforgiven (1992) C-131m. ???? D: Clint Eastwood. Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, Jaimz Woolvett, Saul Rubinek. Determined to stay away from violence, a one-time mad killer agrees to take on another job for his family. Intelligent, sumptuous western with remarkable sensibilities, merits, and a spellbinding finale; outstanding cinematography by Jack N. Green, beautifully acted from top to bottom. Oscar-winner for Best Picture, Director, Editing, and Supporting Actor for Hackman's riveting performance.
December 31, 2016
Slower than I remember, but still quite good. This was the first Western I ever enjoyed, as it's not a genre I've ever cared about.
½ December 29, 2016
Great film, if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not.) Frances Fisher shines.
½ December 25, 2016
Eastwood deconstructs the Western myths with this dark and realistic film devoid of any of that romanticism of the Wild West, and so it is a glorious farewell for the genre with a melancholy score, an epic cinematography and a lot of tension that builds towards a brutal, fantastic ending.
½ December 22, 2016
Its not the flashiest western ever made, but the sheer brilliance in Unforgiven's writing, direction, and cinematography well make up for it.
½ December 10, 2016
Acting was not very good, slow
½ December 9, 2016
The Western typically glamorises the gun as the period in every sentence, the end of psychology, of philosophy. This film takes a brief overview of some of it's many adherents: the kid, the braggart, the bully and the psycho, in an interesting plotline that draws them all together. Good filmmaking.
December 8, 2016
omg i am not a big fan of westerns...but some of them are just epic..and this is one of them!