Unforgiven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unforgiven Reviews

May 26, 2016
A well constructed western, but the slow story didn't make if very gripping. I'm still unsure what William Munny's motivation was.
May 17, 2016
what a great movie, Clint reminds me of my dad
May 15, 2016
"Unforgiven" finds Clint Eastwood delivering a beautifully shot, powerfully acted and thematically rich drama that qualifies as one of the genres very best.
May 8, 2016
I'm not quite sure why I keep seeking out Clint Eastwood directed films. I really liked both of his films on Iwo Jima and thought American Sniper was above average, but Unforgiven is another in a long list of movies that just didn't work for me. There is one really good scene here with Gene Hackman, but I couldn't find much else here that I got anything out of. Big disappointment.
½ May 5, 2016
Probably the best characterization of Clint Eastwood as a stone cold old killer. He is the best director after this movie for sure when it comes to capturing guilt. Brillant performance by Morgan Freeman, just overshadowed by the final show down in the old West way.
April 27, 2016
The thing about Westerns, it's hard to sift through all the bad ones. This might be the best one. I do not recall what compelled me to watch this, but I'm glad I did, because it's amazing.

Not only is it beautifully shot and masterfully acted, it explores the questions:

Can a person will-away their wicked nature?

How does a person bring good to the world for being what they cannot help but be?

Is there justice or redemption in BEING unjust TO the unjust? Is there justice at all in a Godless world?

If you can't appreciate this film, consider yourself Un
April 26, 2016
Unforgiven is a movie that transcends its plot. I mean the storyline is simple: A prostitute gets attacked, a bounty is placed on the heads of the attackers, and some old retired bounty hunters are convinced to come back for one last job. But there is so much depth in the story that you can't even see hinted at in that plot synopsis. The most fascinating aspect of the film, for me, was the morality questions that it brings up. Every character is clearly justified in their own mind and I can see with perfect clarity their perspective. While the audience is eventually enticed to take a side and view one character as a villain, I still struggle to call the other characters "heroes." The cast is second-to-none, with many deserved awards and accolades. I have trouble understanding Clint Eastwood's mumbling sometimes, but his point is pretty clear even when I don't catch every word. Richard Harris is superb as the suave English Bob, and you can feel that he is always a few steps ahead of his targets. Naturally, Morgan Freeman is a treat in any film. The real surprise for me was Gene Hackman. Little Bill is probably the most complex character to perform, but Hackman hits the perfect tone and shifts just enough so that we can change our opinions on him as the story continues, while still seeing it as a logical progression for the character. Unforgiven is like a classic Western but with a more modern tone. The struggle I always have with classic Westerns is the occasional slow pacing, and that would be my only complaint here as well. The story is compelling, and I can't say I get "bored," but it does seem there are moments that might have been trimmed if they wanted to keep the film more concise rather than being so reminiscent of classic Western cinema. If you have any interest in Unforgiven, then it's a must-watch because there is more going on than you might expect at first glance, and it has some of the best acting you'll ever see in a Western film.
½ April 17, 2016
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman,
Morgan Freeman, and all of the women in the film, Frances Fisher, Anna
Thompson, and Tara and the others were great. Clint does much more talking in this film, and has some great quotes:"It s a terrible thing killing a man, you take away all he's got and all he's ever going to have...we all have in comin, Kid...any man don' wanna get killed better clear on out the back...all I can tell you is who's going to be last."
½ April 11, 2016
Clint Eastwood proves, once again, why he's one of the best directors out there by reviving the Western with heart.
½ March 27, 2016
A beautifully harsh look at the legacy of the western gunfighter. Clint Eastwood delivers big time with outstanding supporting performances by Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman.
½ March 24, 2016
I think Eastwood's William Munny might be the same character that showed up in the "Preacher" graphic novel series. Except here he is known as the Saint of Killers.
½ March 22, 2016
It didn't feel as long as other western films. It was also realistically violent and gory. The performances are great and memorable.
However it felt slow paced and that's what made it boring half of the time. When the movie wasn't boring it was probably depressing.
March 21, 2016
Masterful. Eastwood kicks major ass, as usual.
March 21, 2016
Great directing and acting. Best western movie ever. Only flaw was the lighting. So much of the movie was dim and hard to see.
½ March 17, 2016
Superb - a western with heart. Trust Clint Eastwood to turn the genre on its head by making a western where the characters have depth, the plot is more a human drama than an action drama and the "hero" is frail and flawed, as are his comrades.

Excellent direction by Eastwood, showing a deftness, sensitivity and poignancy that are now his trademark. His acting is also something to behold - no longer playing the bold, confident, action man, but a man frail and unsure of himself, with waning powers.

Gene Hackman delivers an excellent performance and well deserved his Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Probably the greatest, and certainly most original, westerns ever made.
March 17, 2016
Fantastic. One of Eastwood's best. It really examines the darkness of living in the old west and the toll killing someone really takes on you. Great story of redemption.
March 15, 2016
An ugly, violent western that makes no romantic aspirations about the setting nor it's characters. Instead, it gives us a haunting slow-burn look into the heart of killers.
½ March 12, 2016
It seems this was better in 92, now it just seems slow and unrewarding.
½ March 9, 2016
Clint Eastwood delivers yet another memorable western.