The Bodyguard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bodyguard Reviews

February 16, 2017
My favourite movie ever! The perfect love story
February 7, 2017
A good thriller with a great soundtrack.
½ January 8, 2017
The Bodyguard best parts are when Whitney Houston is singing. The lack of chemistry between the two leads makes it all feel disjointed.
½ December 30, 2016
Not as bad of a revisit as I thought it would have been. I guess I just may have forgotten how talented Whitney Houston was. Not necessarily the acting as much as her music. The music was great in it. Makes the movie fresh just for that.
December 22, 2016
Worth a watch. Enjoyable movie. Was recommended by my fiance.
September 24, 2016
There are a lot of shortcomings to this film - choppy directing, some stilted dialogue, excessive melodrama - but it also has enough that is praiseworthy to make the movie a winner. The premise is inherently interesting and believable, both stars shine, and the music is great.
½ June 13, 2016
Singer receives death threats and hires a bodyguard in this mushy drama.
½ June 12, 2016
Good film. Would like to rate higher because the music makes the film so much better. But brace yourself because this movie is slllllloooooowwwww
½ March 19, 2016
Pretty bad movie, only Kevin Costner pulls it out of being a disaster, even though the songs are amazing of course, nobody denies Whitney Houston is a great singer.
½ February 13, 2016
Il n'y a que moi qui n'est vraiment pas satisfaite de la finale ?!
January 3, 2016
One of the best movie soundtracks, Whitney Houston was made for this role.
December 7, 2015
The Bodyguard is a classic film, you have to see it if you want to witness an old time favorite. This movie will live on forever because of Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner. As a whole, the effort and energy behind the film was over the top. Watch it, you won't regret it. And then give it a good review, because it deserves so much better than this on rotten tomatoes!
½ November 1, 2015
Je n'avais encore jamais vu The Bodyguard (2015). Voilà quelque chose qui ne manquait pas à ma culture générale. Whitney Houston chante juste, mais tout le reste sonne faux.
½ August 10, 2015
kevin Costner is a good actor the movie is not intresting and Whitney Huston is ok not good just ok
July 24, 2015
The soundtrack is more memorable than the movie itself. It's passably entertaining, but nothing remotely transcendent.
½ June 13, 2015
Whitney Houston is no Meryl Streep, to be sure, but Kevin Costner is terrific and makes it work.
½ June 3, 2015
Classic Costner. Good suspense and action.
½ May 31, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies!
May 4, 2015
This film has a very quick start, its oddly silent throughout the fast opening credits but soon after we hear a gunshot and everything is quick. I thought that was a flashforward to what would happen at the end of the film but, no, it was just a good way to set up the film. Given the oddly negative reviews, I am glad to see this film has a pretty solid story; seeing it be called a 'potboiler' you might just picture it being a bunch of montages with her music in the background with Farmer saving her all the time. But no, the film is well regarded by audiences and deemed a classic for a reason; the film actually had places to go and had an antagonist of all things, which added some conflict, which was nice, the film is called 'The Bodyguard' so it is good that he had things to guard. However, I was expecting the film to end with Farmer holding Marron whilst running in the rain to her car with 'I will Always Love You' playing, not because of the poster but it appears I've seen one too many-a-parody once more. It does happen at one point, just not at the end. Still, it must be annoying to the original artist, in general, when someone does a cover of your song and it ends up being more popular than the original. Given how powerful she sings that, some would have expected that to win an Oscar but it isn't an original song, given that, you'd expect her to sing one of the films original songs at the end. The ending of this film is very entertaining and great to watch, all the Oscar in-jokes they have are quite funny; when the title card popped up in screen for a moment I thought it said it was the 7th Academy Awards and of course we knew she was going to win. We never see an Oscar either, I thought Kevin Kline's was used but that was for another film, 'In and Out'. The actor on stage presenting with Marron reminded me of Tom Riddle so much and I thought that he would be the person behind it but it wasn't, and I don't really understand how a Farmer embarrassed her on stage either, it's apparently because of overprotective methods to keep her safe, but really? She also got mad earlier because Farmer got involved with her and of course he didn't get involved previously because they were presidents. Of course because it is a singer in a film of course she has some original songs to display and eh were good. Given all the Oscar talk in the film, it's funny how this got two nominations and lost anyway, but that song from Aladdin is excellent.

The cast for this film is really likeable. Kevin Costner is ideal casting for this part, it might seem kind of odd to see him here at first but he really fits well and seeing the places where the film goes, we get to learn about him well. He also styled his hair after Steve McQueen, one of the original actors who was attached to this project many, many years before in one of the many attempts to get this to the big screen. It was also annoying to just see everyone treat him horribly, except Devaney, it made sense because he was new but he was just trying to do his job. I do wonder how Devaney found him though and he easily just walked onto Farmer's property. Before I knew any better, when I first heard of this film years ago, given its concept and its leading actress, I thought that Houston would be playing herself and while I'm sure someone has made a joke pertaining to that, she was pretty good. For a film debut it could be much worse and this film made an absolute huge amount of money. The rest of the cast are filled out quite nicely by some great character actors. I did question why Tony wasn't her bodyguard the whole time but I guess they need to take shifts and Farmer was a professional, it's scary how easy it was to get in, he didn't even need to show any proof, but they address that in the film. He also got worried at one point when she goes shopping, I know she and Tony were mad at that point but still, he should have been there and not lose sight of her. Although it would have been some terrible irony if Farmer's wife had died while with him and if that had of happened, I wouldn't feel very safe.

The film had some pretty good humour, the knives at the start and then the dog sleeping by the door and then later on they make a joke about a smaller dog not being able to protect them which is exactly what I was thinking. There is also a very odd fight with Farmer and Tony which comes out of nowhere,it has its reasons but he wasn't very sneaky when coming up to Farmer and I thought it was funny how Farmer kept overpowering Tony but he had the upper hand and new what he was doing, so it makes sense. There was a part where they were looking under a car for a bomb but Farmer then states he already looked, so why was he down there? To show the other person how to do it?When Marron said she was going to bed, nobody said goodnight, which was odd. The film also references the real world a bit but I thought the inclusion of the presidents, especially Reagan, could be a bit odd to some, they could say you're using a shooting of a president as a part of a film but it works, especially because of who the failed assassin targeted. I thought at one point it would reveal that the sister was unhappy with Marron and while that was actually brought up, the way her character exited the film was odd, she probably shouldn't have shouted. I did like how there is more to it than we expect at first, even if that person who wrote the letters just exits the plot at one point, I thought he would be a decoy or something. I thought those footprints in the snow were the stalker, which would be pretty obvious to find because it is snow but the footprints were going into the woods but then we see Fletcher get in the boat and it's a good job he got him off the boat even thing that would have hurt. I questioned why he didn't just get to the end of the walkway and call to him or pull him off but we soon find out and it was a good thing they didn't get in. I saw a review say why would someone rig the boat because it didn't seem like they were all that interested in it but a stalker would cover all bases and they had been in that boat in a scene prior. He also does a similar thing earlier when he runs after a car, I don't see what he could have done, get the licence plate maybe? It'd make sense to stay in the car because it's faster but he did a good job to keep up with the car, even if that was hard to believe he could keep up, you'd have thought he would have sped up. When he takes that piece of clothing off of Marron I thought he would blindfold himself but something else happens whilst it looks bigger, but nice and I like that film had some clever editing during the love scene and didn't just focus on it for too long, it was nicely done.

The only thing I had problems with was the part where she performs for the first time and that's only because we see people just act horribly like everyone does when they are in a group, it's that mob mentality of it all; let one on stage and then they all want to join but it was good to see Farmer and the others fight their way out. Also, in that scene, there was one part where Sy talks about how this is her big moment whilst it shows footage of her singing and I started to wonder where the film stopped and the PR began, however, that didn't really happen for too long. Although, seeing all the goings on behind the stage is interesting to watch, both there and especially at the end, although, it was odd that they let that girl with the flowers in before she performs, it looked like her sister just because we didn't really get a good look at her but even if it was, I'm surprised the room didn't just get packed. And we see someone smoking in a kitchen at one point, which is never good and we see Farmer kick a box of supplies. And those changing rooms were terrible, the curtain was a little high but you could see over the top easily. When it started I thought that 2 hours and 10 minutes was a bit long and even though it ends up being 2 hours and 5 minutes, I think it was a good length; the part where they retreat to that house in the woods seemed like it would be a slow addition, but it develops characters and things actually did happen quick quickly as well.

I read another review that said this was the perfect Saturday night film and I actually saw this on a Saturday and I enjoyed this film quite a lot. It has a pair of good leads, of which we get to see how each half life, an interesting, fun, watchable and enjoyable story and a great soundtrack. It's taken me a very long time to see it but I'm glad that I finally have and it's another film off of the list.
April 14, 2015
85%
Saw this on 14/4/15
The Bodyguard was an phenomenal hit it the 90s with a terrific sound track and a crucial casting that was against all the racial stereotypes. The Bodyguard is a fun movie to watch, it's underrated by all means because it's well made and though improbable, the stars Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston keep it all afloat. Lawrence Kasdan has scribed an ambitious thriller, perhaps one of the most realistic ambitious films that I have ever seen with an ending that culminates on the then futuristic 67th Academy Awards.