The Bodyguard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bodyguard Reviews

November 15, 2017
THE BODYGUARD (1992 FILM)'S AN AMAZING MOVIE. BUT I MISS WHITNEY E. HOUSTON ON THE NEWS, BECAUSE SHE DIED ON FEBRUARY THE 11th, 2012.
½ September 29, 2017
Kevin Costners acting is almost as exciting as watching paint dry.
½ September 3, 2017
Whitney Houston makes her big screen debut as a superstar singer and actress who begins receiving an alarming amount of death threats. She hires Kevin Costner, a retired detective, to be her bodyguard and he sets out to protect her from any potential harm. The film boasts a great soundtrack of some of Houston's best known songs but it is not passionate enough to be romantic nor is it suspenseful enough to be a thriller. What you have is a middling drama with no sparks being lit off between the two leads; and an anti-climactic conclusion that leaves much to be desired.
August 28, 2017
Great flick ... upheld by good Costner and supporting cast performances ... despite an often very modest performance by Houston. Do NOT see this bittersweet love story-drama more than 100 times.
June 25, 2017
The Bodyguard is directed by Mick Jackson, and it stars Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston in a romantic thriller about a Bodyguard that hired by a singer's assistant to protect the singer from a stalker that wants to kill her. When I was in the Canada trip with the high school students, we went to go see the The Bodyguard musical in Toronto, and I really enjoyed it to the point of wanting to watch the film itself. So I tried looking for it in the house, couldn't find it, and I had to wait until there's a chance for me to record it on DirecTV and watch it. About 2 months later, I found The Bodyguard, and after watching it, I can say that while this movie is fine, the musical is better than this. Kevin Costner wasn't really much of an intimidating actor in this, but Whitney Houston did a great job for her first acting job as a diva singer that can be a brat at times. The characters are fine, but I was more invested of them in terms of the thriller aspect, because it's suspenseful and creepy which shows the scary aspect of being a celebrity, than the romance between the main leads. As the first writing script from Lawrence Kasdan who's well-known for his Star Wars films, it's not as bad as I thought was going to be as a first script, but there were some melodramatic moments that weren't effective, and some cheesy scenes too. The songs are the best parts as they are enjoyable to listen to, and there was one twist that I didn't see coming, if I didn't watched the musical that is, although even if I didn't see the musical, I still would've known who the villain was. Now for the musical itself, the reasons why I like that better than this are that the romance is better as it doesn't do any of the romance bull crap like you see in this, it's not cheesy, the main actor is a bit better, even if it isn't saying much, and there were some cool slow motions that worked in this stage, where it wouldn't work in the film. The Bodyguard is a good movie that I can see why critics don't like it, but I also understand why it's well-known and liked by people.
May 28, 2017
it's actually not that bad
great starring vehicle for the late Whitney Houston
Kevin Costner serves well as her bodyguard being that she's a celebrity that garners too much attention
all that fame and success sometimes isn't a good thing
these two have great chemistry, it has a killer soundtrack, and it's way more intense than I thought it would be
not perfect but not as awful as most make it out to be
April 2, 2017
Corny but very watchable, very 90s but has aged surprisingly well. Costner excellent. Houston convincing as herself but a better singer than actress. Kemp ha. Pretty good.
February 16, 2017
My favourite movie ever! The perfect love story
February 7, 2017
A good thriller with a great soundtrack.
½ January 8, 2017
The Bodyguard best parts are when Whitney Houston is singing. The lack of chemistry between the two leads makes it all feel disjointed.
½ December 30, 2016
Not as bad of a revisit as I thought it would have been. I guess I just may have forgotten how talented Whitney Houston was. Not necessarily the acting as much as her music. The music was great in it. Makes the movie fresh just for that.
December 22, 2016
Worth a watch. Enjoyable movie. Was recommended by my fiance.
September 24, 2016
There are a lot of shortcomings to this film - choppy directing, some stilted dialogue, excessive melodrama - but it also has enough that is praiseworthy to make the movie a winner. The premise is inherently interesting and believable, both stars shine, and the music is great.
½ June 13, 2016
Singer receives death threats and hires a bodyguard in this mushy drama.
½ June 12, 2016
Good film. Would like to rate higher because the music makes the film so much better. But brace yourself because this movie is slllllloooooowwwww
½ March 19, 2016
Pretty bad movie, only Kevin Costner pulls it out of being a disaster, even though the songs are amazing of course, nobody denies Whitney Houston is a great singer.
½ February 13, 2016
Il n'y a que moi qui n'est vraiment pas satisfaite de la finale ?!
January 3, 2016
One of the best movie soundtracks, Whitney Houston was made for this role.
December 7, 2015
The Bodyguard is a classic film, you have to see it if you want to witness an old time favorite. This movie will live on forever because of Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner. As a whole, the effort and energy behind the film was over the top. Watch it, you won't regret it. And then give it a good review, because it deserves so much better than this on rotten tomatoes!
½ November 1, 2015
Je n'avais encore jamais vu The Bodyguard (2015). Voilà quelque chose qui ne manquait pas à ma culture générale. Whitney Houston chante juste, mais tout le reste sonne faux.