In the Soup - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Soup Reviews

½ May 26, 2016
1992-?? ?? ?????? ????? ????????? ?????????? ?????? ??????? ?? ???? ???? ??????? ?????? ??????? ??????, ????? ?????? ????? ?????
½ February 7, 2016
Great indie. Cassel is terrific!
March 15, 2015
Apesar das óptimas intenções que transporta, "In the Soup" é muito mais um tributo a qualquer coisa do que um filme de corpo inteiro. Dá mesmo assim enorme gosto ver Steve Buscemi e Seymour Cassel juntos em cena e empenhadíssimos nesta produção indie com o coração no lugar certo. O pior é reparar que "In the Soup" vai perdendo a qualidade dos seus gags enquanto avança e, sem isso, torna-se ainda mais evidente a sua falta de foco. Em termos de pequenos filmes em que o personagem de Steve Buscemi procura validação no cinema, "In the Soup" é infinitamente superior a "Living in Oblivion" e muito mais merecedor do benefício da dúvida.
March 28, 2014
entertaining and funny movie about a person who wrote a script and his ventures of trying to get it made.
December 4, 2013
Amazing flick, just brilliant acting, filming and script. Steve Buscemi brings this bum story to life with such character and comedy that this simple though complex story is just compelling to watch. The cameos are also awesome, it's hard to believe it was done in 1992. This is a must see, a pure gem right there!
½ August 10, 2013
A cult indie black comedy with Steve Buscemi & Seymour Cassel on top form.
Buscemi plays a screenwriter/director obsessed with making his pretentious 500-page screenplay into a movie and finally gets the backing of local mobster Cassel, who uses Buscemi as an accessory to gain the funds by illicit means.
It owes a debt to The Odd Couple for sure and is a must-watch for budding filmmakers.
Cassel steals this movie and this also features Jennifer Beals finest acting performance.
August 6, 2013
How has this barely been seen...?
June 12, 2013
If quirky fun is for you, so is this movie. From about :10 in, one becomes nearly anxious to see how it ends. Bonus: Jim Jarmusch. Seen: B&W version. Ownable.
April 17, 2013
Buscemi's first lead role, and its a good one.
½ February 10, 2013
Splendid! Absolutely loved the hugely contrasting relationship between Adolpho and Joe. All these scams and deceits, all this money flying all over the place, yet not much is getting done in the way of Adolpho's movie. Worth a second viewing at the very least.
½ May 16, 2012
unbelievably charming
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
April 4, 2011
Great film. I really wish that I wasn't stressed so that I could have enjoyed this to its full potential. Steve Buscemi plays Adolpho, an aspiring filmmaker with a 500 page script, and also no money to pay his rent. When he tries to sell it he gets caught up with a man named Joe and from there his life is crazy. Joe says he can get Adolpho all the money he wants for the movie, but we really don't know how he's getting the money. Joe is crazy. We are introduced to him in his strange apartment with a topless thai woman who kisses Adolpho. Joe also kisses Adolpho. Joe just really lives life the way he wants. Everything from The Naked Truth with Jim Jarmusch and Joe's brother who seems on the edge of clinically insane moves the story along, but in a dry way. The tone throughout the film is interesting and original. Really, the performances are all excellent and the shots are great, but I just couldn't get into such a low key film today. Sometimes it felt a little too slow, but that was probably just me. I really hope I get to see this again soon.

**SPOILERS**

I did love the ending. It reminded me of Adaptation. Throughout the film Adolpho is trying to make is film and doesn't really understand his 500 page script other than the pretentious art reasons. Joe tells him to make it about love because it's simple and universal, and when Joe gets shot by Angelica in the end we hear in the voice over that Adolpho decides to make a movie dedicated to Joe and make it about love. We just watched that movie he talks about in the end. Great twist.
April 1, 2011
Being a huge Buscemi fan i found this film hilarious, great performances from Buscemi and Cassel.
May 14, 2010
Smart, sweet, and entertaining. Better yet, shot and edited very, very much to my liking. Steve Buscemi is adorable. Seymour Cassel is supernaturally great. I can't believe I haven't seen this before now.
March 25, 2010
This movie drags a bit and is a little dull. It would have been better had it established more insight into why the gangster liked the director. The gangster seems to have random motivations.
½ February 6, 2010
There was nothing amusing or even mildly interesting about this movie. This has to be one of Steve Buscemi's lifeless performances. Seymour Cassel's character is eccentric, but he is eccentric for the sake of being eccentric. This is a completely forgettable movie.
½ October 9, 2009
this was almost really good.
½ October 1, 2009
"In the Soup" is hindered by a weak script and stilted direction that often kills the comedic momentum.
September 7, 2009
Stanley Tucci is hilarious but is only around for a few minutes; Seymour Cassel is the life of the party most of the time -- but the whole dynamic between a lost shy type and an eccentric life-lover has been done to death. Still there is authentic humor scattered throughout.