Love on the Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love on the Run Reviews

April 23, 2016
Love on the Run is an incredible film. It is about a runaway bride and an undercover reporter get caught up in political intrigue. Joan Crawford and Clark Gable give fantastic performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. W.S. Van Dyke did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. Love on the Run is a must see.
½ July 6, 2014
Two of my least favorite old Hollywood stars, Joan Crawford and Clark Gable star in this screwball comedy. I do have a morbid fascination with the bizarre Crawford, who is woefully miscast as a runaway heiress in this screwball comedy, ALA "It Happened One Night." It probably doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the leads, but this film just didn't seem all that funny or interesting. Franchot Tone and William Demarest also appear.
jjnxn
January 11, 2014
Breezy yarn with Gable at home as the slick reporter who isn't above a deception or two. Joan is chic and relaxed but Franchot is the poor snook once again.
March 21, 2013
a 'it happened one night" knock off though the plot line is thin, the presence of Crawford and Gable make it watchable.
½ October 7, 2010
Love On The Run (1936)

W.S. Van Dyke, who's famous for doing great madcap romantic screwball comedies, like the Thin Man series, did an okay job with this one too. Crawford and Tone were recently married in real life and Gable has been friends (and more) with Crawford for many years.

Two competing reporters, Michael Anthony (Clark Gable) and Barnabas Pells (Franchot Tone) chase down the story of a runaway heiress Sally Parker (Joan Crawford) who recently married and then jilted a European Prince Igor (Ivan Lebedeff).

Naturally, you know that Sally is going to fall in love with Michael despite her hating reporters. Barnabas is slowly catching up. Later they meet the Baron and Baroness Spandemann (Reginad Owen and Mona Barrie) who, as it turns out, are international (Nazi?) spies. Then the story veers off into a totally different direction.
½ February 3, 2010
Unlike Stanwyck, who excelled at both comedy and drama, the one thing Joan Crawford couldn't pull off was slapstick.
½ November 15, 2009
i loved that too.although the storyline was a little familiar
½ August 30, 2009
Clark Gable (the love of Joan's life) and Franchot Tone (Joan's second husband--awkward!) are dueling reporters. After losing a coin toss, Gable goes off to cover the wedding of flighty socialite Sally (Joan), which turns into the better story when she runs off before the ceremony. Tone went off to cover the experimental plane flight of a Baron and Baroness, who turn out to be document smuggling spies. Clark and Joan make off with the Baron's plane (and the document), wacky chasing ensues.

A completely slight little movie, which probably rips off a million other movies. The best part is a weird little scene in the Palace of Fontainebleau, which Clark and Joan have broken into for a night's rest. A nutty caretaker thinks they're royal ghosts, and dances with them in a totally bizarre sequence.

Willam Demarest is also in this, at what appears to be the same age as when he was Uncle Charlie 30 years later. I swear, that man was about 65 his entire life.
August 27, 2009
Love on the Run (1936) -- [6.5] -- This is a serendipitous romantic comedy pairing frequent costars Clark Gable and Joan Crawford. Gable plays a reporter who runs away with a press-weary heiress, hoping to snag the headline of the century. But naturally, he falls in love with the dame, which would be complicated enough without being mistaken for spies. Gable and Crawford are having fun and it shows -- especially when they find refuge in a old French castle. The caretaker, played by sweet Donald Meek, mistakes them for ghosts of royalty. The three dance minuets to a music box while the caretaker's imaginary dog watches. This kind of scene is one of the reasons I love screwball comedies. They lend themselves to a charming eccentricity that more serious or sentimental movies can't sustain. This kind of story always works best with a third wheel, and Franchot Tone fits the bill. The (somewhat) friendly rivalry between the two men provides a nice running joke throughout the movie, as Gable constantly one-ups his fellow reporter. The story borrows generously from Frank Capra's "It Happened One Night", a superior film also starring Gable, but this is the best possible kind of rehash.
½ August 12, 2009
If you've seen "It Happened One Night", you'll be familiar with this story line. While this film is not a remake of the aformentioned, it's storyline is very similar. I was excited to see another take on this story, but this was just alright for me. It had it's high points, while the rest didn't captivate me as much as I hoped it would. I felt that it was a bit long, and didn't find the "spy" bit to be a very valuable part of the story. I think if they would have cut that out, it would have made a more well-rounded film. Although, then, it may have been far too similar to "It Happened One Night" to pass as a new picture! Not terrible, though. Joan Crawford and Clark Gable have pretty good chemistry.
August 12, 2009
amusing comedy farce
April 25, 2008
One of my very favorite screwball comedies. Joan Crawford and Clark Gable were one of the absolute greatest romantic pairings in the history of film, and with Franchot Tone thrown in the mix, they're unstoppable.
½ April 16, 2008
Pretty standard 1930s "girl is taken away to prevent marriage and falls in love with kidnapper" kind of romantic comedy. Not bad, but not really anything special either.
½ April 5, 2008
Wasn't that bad, but wasn't good either...