Nowhere to Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nowhere to Run Reviews

May 18, 2012
As a kid, Van Damme movies were my top pick, Violence, Drama, this one I've watched a couple times, check it out!
May 5, 2012
van damme at he's peak. pity the movie is flawed with boredom. van damme was trying to bring character to the violence which is a tick for trying
½ April 15, 2012
4/15/2012: I liked it. Love JCVD action movies.
April 14, 2012
i hate jean what ever his name is!!!!!!!
½ March 31, 2012
Definitely one of Jean-Claude Van Damme's better films. He's utilizing actual acting and contributing to the drama of a family's fight against he big business.
February 8, 2012
I think this had a good story but i felt like it was kinda missin something
½ January 28, 2012
Your standard run of the mill Van Damme fare: Misunderstood hero with a checkered past, cursory explanation of why he sounds like that (he's from Quebec!), hot single mom first distrusts him then falls for him after he saves her kids from an attack by thugs who are working for the evil land developer who wants her to sell her land so he can build a golf course resort in the wasteland north of Fresno ... you get the idea. But what makes this special is the performance by Ted Levine (Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs) as Dunston, the head of security for the afore-mentioned land developer (who, incidentally, is played by Joss Ackland of Lethal Weapon 2 and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey).
Dunston is an ex-cop from Cleveland, a genial but menacing guy who just wants to get his job done so he can go home. He's the kind of guy who uses card tricks as a tool to threaten people.
I know, right? How badass is that?
Levine plays this role with nuance and relish, and really holds his own during the final showdown with Van Damme. It's the kind of performance I miss when I watch more modern actioners, which usually forego actual actors in this role and cast some washed up UFC star. Or Channing Tatum.
I also hate Channing Tatum.
½ January 17, 2012
"Nowhere to Run" is a big disappointment that gratuitously wastes the acting talent.
January 13, 2012
Not bad but not as good as i wanted it to be. other van damme movies have been better.
½ January 5, 2012
'Nowhere to Run' is a surprisingly good action drama from 1993. Jean-Claude Van Damme shows here that he can even pull off the more serious roles. The movie don't have as much action as his other flicks, but the thing is that it woud have been even better with less, because the story and characters are interesting enough.
½ January 3, 2012
I got this movie for christmas on blu-ray, first of all i am a big Van Damme fan. To me this is one of his best films in the sense of acting and not in action. For the first time since we first saw him in no retreat no surrender, Van Damme is actually acting and not just being a tough martial arts guy. The story was good and the supporting cast was good espicially Rosanna Arquette who plays the widow with two kids that is being harassed to give up her land.

Over all i give this movie 3.5 out 5 stars.
½ December 16, 2011
There comes a time in every actor's career where they feel the need to grow and mature, and for martial arts star jean-Claude Van Damme, that maturing film was meant to be "Nowhere to Run". He doesn't do battle with his own evil twin or compete in a kickboxing tournament, and he has a lot more dialogue and quiet moments than we're used to from the star. Unfortunately, the film on the whole is not very successful.
The title is extremely generic, and the plot isn't much better as we've seen this same story in dozens of movies and television series. As a general rule of thumb, if the A Team has tackled the same story, maybe you should rethink it. The bad guys are equally disappointing, as is the lack of any real action. Robert Harmon could have used this as his comeback picture after letting us down several times after "The Hitcher", but that never really comes to fruition. He fails to generate a lot of excitement here.
And there seems to be a reel missing explaining just how and when Van Damme and Rosanna Arquette fall in love. He barely speaks two dozen words to her before they're all over each other, and he never really seems to warm up to her kids much either. There's a lot of sentiment here, but none of it seems very genuine. Maybe there's a director's cut somewhere that explains it all.
While it does show the Muscles from Brussels branching out some, the outcome of the problem is still resolved by his fists, and he relies too heavily on ridiculous, Schwarzenegger one-liners that fail miserably. "Nowhere to Run" is a film that I really wanted to like a lot more than I did. It never really gets off the ground.
December 16, 2011
again i have watched it. first time i watched it when i was in school.
½ November 21, 2011
Just what you would expect for a action packed typical love story. Van Damme fits perfectly into the scheme of things, which were otherwise nothing to rave about.
½ November 20, 2011
it was OK to kill my time. very 'early 90s'. land shark, widow trying v hard to raise her kids but need a guy stuff...
November 3, 2011
primu lui film putin mai sentimental
au revoir sucker
½ October 11, 2011
bad guys, good guys and an obviouse plot.
August 31, 2011
the 1st jean-claude van damme movie iv watched
½ August 22, 2011
I think out of all the 90s films of Van Damme, this is probably his best acting film with a decent story. This is definitely a different type of Van Damme movie, he doesn't just d Van Dammage with his fists and kicks, but he also does some dramatic stuff. Of course the plot is filled with holes and huh moments, but I can appreciate a film that he does which is not filled with his patented splits and wind kicks. I think what is funny is that they still gave him some one liners to say as he beats the snot out of folks. Decent film, with some actual acting in it makes this one of my favorite Van Damme movies cause trust me, a lot of them suck lol. Oh, best thing about this movie, is that they fight corrupt housing folks...they should have remade this film now since everyone is in foreclosure...would give us something to cheer about. TAKE THAT REAL ESTATE ASSHOLES! lol
August 18, 2011