Crime and Punishment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crime and Punishment Reviews

November 4, 2015
Crime and Punishment 1936

This film misses the subconscious aspect that the book has covering what the character thinks of things and misses out on the small details of what the space looked like, the city as far as smell, appearance of the city and room on the larger scale. There is a much bigger thing in the book about paranoia over things that is not said but is thought.

This film is able to capture the Suspicion and feelings even by the actors looks, expressions, lighting, use of space, the where the camera decides to focus on.

This film does a good job on casting and acting. Peter Lorrie does a good job just how he does his acting by adding suspicion, confidence, shame; at the right time.

I like the lighting in the film. The silouiets are well used.

This film looses something by having it set in modern times and having hints of Imperial Russia such as the insignia of Imperial Russia or mentioning the currency, mentioning of the Siberian desert as a form of punishment.

This film looses the context of the times which Crime and Punishment was written in to better understand the way people acted in the days.

This film does not add the context that the Imperial Russian police were corrupt in the period the book was written or daughters still had there husband chosen by the family. The mix in cultural thought in religion and ethnic diversity.

This film had a dumb ending with grand thematic music because he is about to confesses his responsibility for committing the crime of murder on the pawn shop woman.

In some ways I think that this film or book is dumb. Not because of the realism but because of the incompetence, stupidity in bad planning and thinking in those who commit a murder or study crime by an experts who study crime.
November 1, 2015
good version of this plus VonSternberg directs
½ July 21, 2015
Breaks it down and makes this epic approachable.
October 5, 2014
Not bad. Arnold and Lorre are great...but pretty Hollywood average stuff anyway with some typical von Sternberg touches.
May 23, 2013
Excellent film, regardless of the era it was filmed in. Lorre plays a genius who is too depressed by both family circumstances and greater societal realities to try and better himself. To quote A.N. Whitehead (1861 - 1947); "A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance." The ending is a bit simplistic and "Hollywood", but that doesn't make the film and it's layers of messages any less worth discussing afterwards. Note that Edward Arnold later became president of the SAG, and Mrs. Cambell was a voice/acting coach who later died in Europe of natural causes just as her visa to escape Naziism was approved.
January 9, 2011
Sternberg didn't want to make this film and I can't blame him. The themes of C&P don't really translate to 1930's Hollywood or an 88 minute run-time. I love watching Peter Lorre (I'd probably watch him take a shit and it would be great), but he can't shoulder the entire emotional weight of the film. I was bored silly because I didn't care about anyone; I was interested in Lorre, but as the film drags on, that lessens and lessens. Blah.
½ December 30, 2010
Lorre gives an excellent performance; his scenes with Arnold are small gems.
December 1, 2009
I think this movie didn't show the best parts of original novel. Actors performances were good, but I don't think Raskolnikov should be characterized in the movie's way. And this whole movie finished at a very strange scene....
October 25, 2009
Raskolnikov es un brillante criminólogo que malvive en un cuartucho de mala muerte, mientras espera que su talento sea descubierto y así poder atender como se merecen a su madre y su hermana Antonia.

Pero su grado de miseria y desesperación le hace empeñar el único bien de valor que posee: un reloj de cadena que su madre le entregó el día de su graduación como recuerdo y herencia de su, al parecer, difundo padre. Acude, por tanto, a una prestamista, y es allí donde conoce a Sonya, una jovencita que empeña su Biblia familiar con tal de conseguir algo de dinero para que su familia pueda comer. Conmovido, decide entregarle el dinero de su reloj a su hermano pequeño.

De mientras, decide huir de esa miseria atacando y asesinando a la vieja prestamista. Por lo que aparece en escena el Inspector General de policía, que le reconoce por su trabajo criminólogo y pide su consejo.

Aquí empieza el tour de force. El inspector investigando pacientemente el crimen, y Raskolnikov tratando de escabullir su responsabilidad, aunque su conciencia por momentos le hace flaquear...
rubystevens
May 8, 2009
how is it this film has so few ratings on flixster? it's very entertaining! lorre is great as the arrogant impoverished writer who sees himself as a 'superman' like his hero napoleon but is ultimately undone by his own conscience. of course no film will entirely live up to a great novel and this is an oversimplified version to be sure; the odd mix of accents barely acknowledge the russian setting. it's a hollywood bastardization of dostoyevsky so be prepared but definitely worth it for lorre fans
May 7, 2009
It's nice looking and Peter Lorre is great.

Other than that, no.
May 6, 2009
An interestting classic based on one of the best known books of all time. This verson stars the wonderfully creepy Peter Lorre as a man who is pushed by society to far an decides for the greater good to commit murder. Peter Lorre is then pursued by the the law played by the phoenominal talent of Edward Arnold. This is one of the rare cases where the american version of a story is perhaps the best version I'd like to agree since I quite liked this film but I've yet to see any other interpretation of the well know Dostoevsky book. The film poses some interesting idea about human kind, law and crime.