Sniper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sniper Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
6/27/2016: Meh. A good cast, but really not much of a movie. The plot and action were both lacking, making this a boring and forgettable film.
½ June 12, 2016
If you've ever seen a 90's action movie, you've seen this.
August 9, 2015
a great film and story.
August 8, 2015
I love this movie I have seen it at least 20times
½ April 8, 2015
Boring war thriller that's only value is some of the interactions between the leads.
½ February 22, 2015
Tense movie with Berenger as a hunter in jungles.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
No doubt one of Tom Berengers best movies along with Platoon. Billy Zane is good here also playing the rookie sniper. The sequels was not good compared to this one.
½ August 24, 2014
Totally unremarkable.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 26, 2014
Decent action film, Sniper is one of those low budget action films that never really stood out among the genre, but it does manage to be entertaining from start to finish, despite its so-so acting, and paper then story. The story written here is nothing too complex, and for fans of forgotten action films, Sniper is a perfect film to watch. I quite liked it, but I also felt that it had the potential of being so much as well. For what it is, it's an entertaining film and it's engaging from start to finish. Tom Berenger and Billy Zane are quite good here, but both actors have made better films. Sniper has tense moments that make the film worth seeing, and even if it never becomes anything really good, I thought that the film was quite decent for what it tried to accomplish. The story like I said is pretty basic, and for a film like this, that's all you need. Although it's a bit clichéd, what do you expect from a low budget affair like this? This is the type of film that you watch only once, and it doesn't necessitate multiple viewings. If you're a genre fan and enjoy low budget action flicks, then you're sure to enjoy Sniper. The film works well enough for its run time, but it does show its age. If you're expecting something truly great, you'll sadly be disappointed, as there's never anything truly engrossing. Sure, it's a fun film, but like I said, it's one that isn't worth revisiting again and again. The film's somewhat lacking script is the film's major mistake, and in turn, the film never becomes a truly awesome action film.
April 27, 2014
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
½ September 6, 2013
It's about two snipers in a secret mission in Panama and actually this is not a bad action movie.
½ August 10, 2013
The movie had a lot of potential, but too many aspects of the film were too weak
The action was dull, the thrills were minimal, the dramatics of being a sniper were not emphasized and the skilled performances of Tom Berenger and Billy Zane, as well their charismatic chemistry was not emphasized. It was shot on beautiful locations though.
Sniper was just really a misfire.
½ May 28, 2013
yeah i was pleasently surprised by this movie. It reminded me a lot of the original rambo films. Good story, good acting, good war movie.
½ April 1, 2013
The 1st and best of the series, and the only one worth watching. Decent and worth a shot.
March 7, 2013
A Marine (Tom Berenger), who just lost his partner, and an expert shot from the National Security Council (Billy Zane) are sent into the Panama jungle to hunt down and assassinate a candidate in some sort of Panamanian election. However, they have to battle one another when it comes clear almost immediately that the two are like oil and water.

For the most part, there are only two cast members -- Zane and Berenger. They have some pretty good chemistry together as polar opposites. A lot of time, they are just standing their, weapons at the ready, and delivering their lines. If you ask me, there was a lot more time for the two to talk than get into some action. I personally thought Berenger was a bit stronger in his role than Zane was.

The action scenes are pretty quick, and aren't too explosive. If you ask me, the movie leaned more toward the relationship between the Marine and the NCS man more than focused on action. As for blood, it's not a lot, but the gun fights are pretty graphic. You get to see the bullets intended targets get hit, with some pretty good blood splattering from the impact.

The special effects are pretty average in this movie. You get the sound of gun fire, some fairly big explosions and some good blood splattering.

One of the most unique things in this movie is that we get to see the paths of bullets fired. Sometimes, the camera is showing the audience the path of the bullet as if the camera was mounted on it. Other times, the camera appears to be traveling next to the bullets as they fly through the air. And, at least twice, we get to see the bullets from the point of their intended target. I can't recall any other movie that uses this effect, but it was pretty interesting visually.

The villains are not really developed in this movie. You get a little background through the conversations of the two main characters, which doesn't tell much with a few of the intended sniper targets. You get one main villain, but he is mostly seen through eye pieces, and doesn't get a lot of screen time.

I would suggest that you don't rent this one. Maybe check it on HBO or on On Demand.
½ December 25, 2012
one of all time favorite.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ November 3, 2012
Started the sniper formula.. That's about it
October 31, 2012
An ok cheesy action flick
October 28, 2012
Boo. More sniping please. Less other stuff.

2009 Movies 55