The Vanishing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vanishing Reviews

July 5, 2014
A great, tense build up and a creepy turn by Jeff Bridges are betrayed by typical genre contrivance and a ridiculously happy (read: "stupid") ending.
February 10, 2014
Very good film. Jeff Bridge's is excellent in this movie. 4 stars for this one.
January 29, 2014
Great movie, lacks in some suspense. But some wonderful acting.
January 11, 2014
A boyfriend is contacted three years after the disappearance of his girlfriend by her abductor, who will lead him to the solution of the mystery by making him pass a series of tests leading him down a path of obsession. The suit is nothing original, but Jeff Bridges' performance as the psycho is haunting and there is a good level of tension in some scenes.
½ October 26, 2013
Inventive and surprising, this film grabbed me and didn't let go. (How's that for a corny blurb?)
½ October 17, 2013
When you remake a movie...
remember one thing... if an ending to the original is one of the most shocking endings in a movie ever... Dont ruin it!
Whoops looks like you did
½ September 26, 2013
Holy shit that movie was bad. Don't watch it. Go watch the original. AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS
August 18, 2013
The original was solo much better!
August 6, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
July 4, 2013
Once I figured out that Jeff Bridges sounds exactly like Dr. Evil, it was the only thing I could think of.
June 11, 2013
It's somewhat cool and interesting to watch but I don't know. It wasn't that great.
May 28, 2013
A solid remake of George Sluizer's original Dutch film. The thriller spends a great deal of time focusing on the villain in this case and meditating on what it means to be a good person and what it means to do an act of horrific evil. The film is not perfect: I thought Rita and Jeff's relationship could have been developed a little bit more. The very last scene also contains a horrific joke. But those points aside, "The Vanishing" is a creepy and effective thriller. Great performance by Jeff Bridges as well.
May 10, 2013
The main reason why this movie has such bad reviews is because it differs from the original. Particularly the ending. The whole casts' acting was awesome and this movie in its own rocks. Suspenseful and thrilling.
April 25, 2013
Not as good as the original.
February 23, 2013
In the blink of an eye
½ February 20, 2013
Well, it didn't have a completely happy ending, which was nice. I don't know how believable an evil Jeff Bridges is, but oh well. Kind of is a bit slow, and Kiefer Sutherland's hair is kind of annoying. But overall, it was watchable.
½ February 16, 2013
Much ado about nothing..only performance worth watching was of Jeff Bridges
February 14, 2013
You know this movie is a sell out when the director of the far superior original sells his classic for money. The word is plastered all over this lazy and annoying "re-imagining."
½ January 22, 2013
I have never seen the original French (or Dutch) film and after reading Ebert's horrible biased review I don't think I ever will. This definitely stands on its own feet and F*** anyone who says otherwise. Jeff Bridges, Jack Bauer, and Sandra Bullock all live up to their fame... And Nancy Travis is just as bad as she always is. Nonetheless, this film just falls short of greatness because of the direction, which ironically is from the same filmmaker of the first one. Since they were remaking it, they should've gotten a more visually exciting filmmaker to helm this project. Alas, it looks like Scorsese's awful "Cape Fear" which did little to actually build tension or be suspenseful in any way. But despite the lifeless direction, Bridges and Sutherland are perfectly cast and truly carry the whole film on their shoulders without fail.
December 5, 2012
Skip this & watch the original one again, Although I was expecting the ridiculous happy-ending but it was still more ridiculous than I thought, It's a pity because I like Sutherland & Bridges