Atlantis, the Lost Continent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atlantis, the Lost Continent Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Corny but enjoyable George Pal directed special effects feature about the titular lost continent. Although Pal was coming off a major hit with "The Time Machine" he was given a much smaller budget in this picture and there was also in impending writers strike, which forced Pal to work with a script that was not as polished as he (or the audience) would have liked. The film features some strange casting with people like John Doll and Edward Platt, who do not seem at all suited for costume pictures, but this mess does seem to work in a Sunday morning 10-year old boy enjoyment. Also the film gets an extra half a star for featuring my all-time favorite character actor William Smith as a guard.
October 15, 2016
Pretty weak and odd, but I'm always a sucker for Atlantis stories.
½ October 13, 2016
It is a boring movie. They do weird things like transform humans to animals in order to work.

The Atlantans have an advanced submarine and powerful energy diamond.

The Greeks are made primitive in speaking and thinks like a cave man or Tarzan only wanting the girl for love.

I had higher hopes for Atlantis look and technology. Even the Atlantans act primitive instead of advanced.

The Atlantans all act as though all foreigners are threats.

There is a gladiator like fight that is so slow that it looks lame. It starts out in a fire charcoal pit and then turns into a fight in a pool where the water keeps rising.

The Chief from Get Smart is in this film as an authority on religion in Atlantis.

A new authority figure of Atlantis wants to conquer the world rather than be defeated by foreigners who know nothing about Atlantis.

The villains are stereotypical villains with no depth. The Atlantans are fearful of foreigners and look foreword to war for the purpose of power and control. There is no depth or development to the characters.

The priest was once a scientists till there thinking changed.

Atlantans once used technology for peaceful uses but then found a way to convert the technology into a useful distructive weapon.

This film almost seems like it is speaking to the Cold War age of fear of war and nuclear war fear.

This one who study's the stars astrology purposely tries to blame the foreigners.

The volcano lava keeps rising steadily.

This film speaks of slavery as bad and try to improve conditions of its workers.

Then the island explodes and melts to the bottom of the ocean. This film is so terrible.

They try to say that the survivors were the ones who were able to spread the myth and legend of Atlantis.
½ November 17, 2012
Imaginative adventure fantasy--The Mother of All Empires!!
May 14, 2012
I really liked it a lot...and its making me want to check out more stuff with George Pals name attached...it seems that he really was very perfectionist.
½ May 22, 2011
Well, I was looking for another "lost continent"-movie but stumbled upon this one instead.

In this movie the continent of atlantis exist and man are the people living on this continent weird. They look like greeks and understand english very well, but they are pure evil all the way. The atlantis people are very well developed and they handle both machinery as submarines (in the shape of big fish in steel) and weapons of mass destruction. They also strongly beleive in slavery and for some reason they rebuild their slaves into animals of diffrent sorts much to their amusement rather than any logic.

The Atlantis people plan to conquer the known world if only anyone can write them a map of the mediterranean.

Then the insects and birds leaves the continent and no-one understands why.

Destruction is imminent

So-so
½ December 23, 2010
I love Atlantis and underwater creature movies, but this is just cheesy. It wouldn't be half bad, if it weren't for the blatant and obvious message, done better in other George Pal movies.
½ July 19, 2010
I was expecting more
February 10, 2010
1Filled. and I mean FILLED with hooty dialogue, this somewhat sci-fi is short on action, but that doesn't make this George Pal movie no less entertaining. A princess somehow washes up on the shores of Greece, and, after spurning the fisherman who caught her ("Get away from me, you smell of fish!") falls in love with him anyways and cajoles him to take her back to Atlantis where she came from. Ah, but when he gets there she is treated like a princess again, while he's thrown into slavery! He somehow has to escape, but wait! The Atlantis bad guys are creating a laser! lol
Ah man, you gotta see this to believe it. A guilty pleasure for sure!
½ September 14, 2009
Absolutely terrible!!! It was so painful to watch and if i didn't have a busted knee, I would have thrown the tv out of the window before the first scene was done. It wasn't even like it was trying to be cheesy or weird, it just was and therefore I felt sorry for everyone who was casted in it and I want my hour an 45 minutes back!
September 7, 2009
awesome old movie, further always has been one of the greatest mysteries of mankind ¡¡¡
½ June 25, 2009
"Where is this miserable hovel, and why do I wear the garb of slaves?"
August 3, 2008
This was awesome! Romance, slavery, weird scientific experiments, a stun gun that melts human flesh, an exploding volcano, Total wrath of God?.. I love it! I give it 2 thumbs up and suggest that it is a must see!
August 3, 2008