Boiling Point - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boiling Point Reviews

February 20, 2016
A solid neo-noir with excellent supporting performance from Viggo Mortensen, Dan Hedaya, and, of course Dennis Hopper. I think the unfortunately low scores and the films poor initial reception are largely the fault of the terrible marketing which sold a character driven noirish police procedural as an over the top action thriller.
April 8, 2015
Just a bad choice of work by everyone involved.
½ March 7, 2015
It baffles me how you could put such quality actors in a movie and fail to amuse or entertain. The diaogue falls so flat, you'll wince during every line. I kept hoping that someone would cut off Dennis Hopper's arms so he'd stop gesturing on every syllable.
August 13, 2014
Funny that the film is called Boiling Point considering it never comes to one. I love a good Snipes thriller, but this is NOT one of them. You will turn this movie off and be hard pressed to recall anything exciting or memorable.
July 18, 2014
I really enjoyed this one. It was really not well-received at the time of it's release, and it seems to continued to get fairly negative reviews to this day. I think the problem is that this film is sold as an action film, and that's just not what it is. It's an adaptation of a Gerald Petievich novel (he also wrote "To Live and Die in L.A."), and it plays like an adaptation of a sleazy, bloody crime procedural. There's no "action" in it per se, but I don't think it needs action sequences to sell it's story. It's magnificent ensemble cast includes Viggo Mortensen, Seymour Cassel, Tony Lo Bianco, Paul Gleason, Tobin Bell and Dan Hedaya.
May 24, 2014
I did not care about 'Boiling Point' that much.
½ March 26, 2014
Boiling Point is a movie that I got for free on a giveaway shelf. There's a reason it was on that shelf.

It has less action than any other Wesley Snipes movie I've ever seen. A documentary about real boiling points would've had more thrills than this wannabe actioner. Almost nothing about this movie made me want more. Wesley Snipes put on an okay performance, but nothing more than marginal. Dennis Hopper acted weird the whole movie with over-exaggerated hand movements that made his character very off-putting. Except for a few killings, there was literally no action in this movie. The story could've been interesting, but instead it moves slow and lags at many places. The cinematography was nothing interesting, no better than any other average movie. And the script was dull and didn't move the story at all. Overall, this movie was well beyond average, not Snipes best at all. Even The Art of War (and we all want to forget he was in that) wasn't as bad as this movie. This movie has already found its way to giveaway shelves and $.99 bins all over the country. Take that as a warning.
July 11, 2013
This film is a real let down.
April 29, 2013
I like this movie but acknowledge that it has flaws. The biggest flaw is that Warner promoted it as an Action movie and viewers went expecting Wesley Snipes to be kicking in doors and firing of his snub-nosed magnum revolver all the time. In fact, this was a Neo-Noir type Thriller in which the plot slowly builds towards its fairly explosive climax as Snipes and his fellow Secret Service agents chase down leads to find the killer of a fellow agent and Dennis Hopper plays a down-on-his-luck conman trying to get together the money to pay off a debt to a mobster by manipulating a dim-witted sociopath (Viggo Mortensen). Hopper is good, as usual, and director James Harris rounds out the cast with solid character actors who can play the roles of LA lawmen and lowlifes in their sleep (Dan Hedaya, Seymour Cassel, Tony Lo Bianco, etc.). The biggest problem with the picture is Snipes, who proved he could act in New Jack City but seems to playing a one-dimensional action movie hero in a movie that requires him to play two dimensions. Note the screen chemistry between Hopper and Valerie Perrine playing his ex-wife and the lack of screen chemistry between Lolita Davidovich's high class call girl and Snipes' character. This is probably a two-star film but I gave it an extra star because of Hopper's performance as a big-band loving hustler and because you actually have to follow the plot and think about what is going on while Snipes looks like he wants to kick open a door and shoot his snub-nosed magnum at somebody.
December 6, 2012
The movie instead of being in the category of action should have been just mystery, you people just can't wait to criticize a film that possess deserving performers
October 3, 2012
I have reason to believe it is an Action film, there is just not much action in it.
May 12, 2012
Snipes is a pretty boring actor and he walks through his few scenes playing a fairly uninteresting role that seems almost cut in from another film. Hopper and Mortensen on the other hand have a wonderful time as happy-go-lucky criminals who joyfully peruse their victims and cause general mayhem. The two elements are horribly at odds and so disparate and removed from each other you almost wish the two elements were cut into different films as Hopper's scenes are the more developed and fun to watch.
September 23, 2011
Viggo is in this 1990 movie. Dennis Hopper is not a very convincing actor. Snipes plays a good badass.
July 21, 2011
This could've been titled Lukewarm Point; bad film.
½ July 6, 2011
I don't remember this movie because I missed it as a kid. Seems like I missed it for all the right reasons.
January 15, 2011
haven see it yet and want to see it
½ December 31, 2010
½ December 18, 2010
It's a fun movie and has some pretty cool moments including the Principal from Breakfast Club getting shotgunned in the face and run over twice by a deranged Viggo Mortensen. However, this really suffers from not knowing who their main character is. Wesley Snipes is definitely marketed as the good guy action hero, but it's almost as if there is just as much time spent humanizing Dennis Hopper. It just makes the movie feel uneven when it could have been a really straightforward action extravaganza.
October 29, 2010
Fairly amusing cop film with snipes and hopper. worth a watch as was only £2
½ July 8, 2010
(**): Thumbs Down

I liked the performances of Hopper and Mortenson but they can't save the movie because the story is rather trite.