Brother's Keeper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brother's Keeper Reviews

½ January 16, 2015
I was told to view this film by a fellow criminal justice and psychology major. I am very happy I watched this. This very case showed us a flaw in our criminal justice system. Due to this case there was a change in how interrogations and other treatments of suspects. As for the documentary itself, one of the best I have seen in a while. They had actual court room footage and followed the case nicely. I have to admit there were a few times I almost cried because of the treatment people like Delbert receive in society and sadly at times in this very system. To me this was a great documentary but not for everyone to view. Some may believe I rated this film to high but I feel that this very case that changed the criminal justice system was captured quite well compared to other documentaries.
August 9, 2014
Just keep watching.......
½ August 2, 2014
Fascinating documentary about the Ward brothers and the murder trial surrounding them. Joe Berlinger lays bare the different stories and lets the audience decide for themselves.
½ July 5, 2014
Easily one of the best documentaries ever made.
March 17, 2013
hard to watch but you will be very glad you did.
February 8, 2013
I found this documentary to be quite upsetting. I thought that it was going to be about euthanasia. But in reality, it is more about how the state can take advantage of people who are illiterate and unacquainted with their civil rights. Frankly, I don't care if Delbert Wade killed his brother out of a sense of mercy. What truly bothers me, is that the state of New York went over board trying to convict him of his brother's murder.
February 1, 2013
Incredible true story of a couple of aging brothers who never tied the knot and ended up living together in poverty in the golden years of their lives. Through strange circumstances, one brother was accused of killing the other but the truth is delightfully more cryptic than that.
January 31, 2013
I live in Munnsville
½ January 29, 2013
Really excellent. One of the best docu features I've seen. Heartbreaking, fascinating, disturbing, and moving in equal measures.
January 22, 2013
"Brother's Keeper" is an interesting documentary about an old man from the backwoods brought up on charges for murdering his elderly brother. Not sound of mind and living in dismal conditions with his remaining brothers, Delbert, a man who has never been very popular is bailed out of jail by several members of the community in his hometown of Munnville. As the court date grows closer, the town rallies more and more behind Delbert as the media becomes more prevalent in the case, bringing about some very eloquent speakers despite their down-home appearances. This documentary is a great frame of reference of where our justice system has fallen and brings to light questions about morality and ethics that we face in our society even today. Joe Berlinger starts off a profound career with this film, to later bring films like the "Paradise Lost" trilogy.
December 26, 2012
It starts slow, but Brother's Keeper delivers with a compelling and engrossing story of a mysterious death in central New York state. Like the town folk, we come to care about people that are usually shun. People come together in ways we never expected.

Peace,
Tex Shelters
November 7, 2012
This was a very moving documentary. I found myself feeling sympathetic to all of the 4 of the brothers' plight. It's very humbling and reminds me that in all of the political jarring this past few months, most of us have it better than we realize. So watch this if you haven't and be thankful every day for the things we have.
October 10, 2012
I'm not one of those hipster documentary girls or people that claim they like long walks on the beach, traveling and netflix documentaries on first dates but BRAVO! I picked it because it was about a rural place close to home and it got 4 stars and the Sundance Crowd Choice award. It is some of the BEST Cinematic story telling I have EVER seen. You get attached to the place and the people and I literally felt my heart snap into two in one part. On top of it the scenery looked like home and it was about the way the dwindling other half that still lives in rural areas and how modern society doesn't always make sense in their way of life. It was on Hulu, not sure if it's on Netflix but pick it up foo's!
July 9, 2012
BRILLIANT DOCUMENTARY. 5 STARS.
hunterjt13
June 24, 2012
An outcast, illiterate farmer is accused of murdering his brother.
This documentary is phenomenal in its ability to present this case objectively; as though I were a jury member, I oscillated between Delbert's guilt and innocence, and the film didn't lead me to a particular conclusion, save a few parts (for example, the brutal slaying of the pig made me think the documentarians were drawing a parallel between Delbert and the pig as sacrifices).
Though it's not an agenda film, I think about how society creates outcasts after I watch this film, and though Delbert never rises to the status of a tragic hero in my view, there are several pathos-ridden scenes that enhance the film's dramatic effect, if not its implicit argument.
Overall, this is a very good documentary about a very rare group of outcasts.
April 27, 2012
Very interesting story and characters with a surprising ending.
April 20, 2012
Realistically somber, yet fascinatingly on it.
February 5, 2012
Really effective and moving documentary.
January 11, 2012
Not only is truth stranger than fiction in Brother's Keeper, it is better.
January 8, 2012
My heart really went out to that simple man and his brothers. Raw and gritty doc. that delves into some crazy countrified lives.