Brother's Keeper Reviews

• Mar 04, 2019

Unique & gripping film that leaves you guessing about a lot of things: what exactly is wrong with these brothers? Inbreeding? Lead poisoning? It's not just the IQ issue that's haunting...Lyman's chronic nervousness & trembling is disturbing as well. They're all nearly deaf for some reason. And ALL of these guys look not one day younger than 80. All are in their 50s or 60s in the film. Makes you wonder what hellish lives they've lived leading up to this point. Even if Bill was murdered, he's probably better off wherever he is than living in this 4-man unheated shed with no running water. So sad. A painful glimpse into rural American life.

• Mar 12, 2018

Four elderly, semi-literate brothers live together on their dairy farm in upstate New York. One of them dies in his sleep, and the police arrest one of the brothers for murder based on extremely vague medical evidence and a confession elicited under extremely questionable circumstances. Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky cover the town's banding together to support the brothers and the eventual trial. Like their subsequent "Paradise Lost" films, this tells a story of an injustice ... the police manipulate a man with no practical knowledge of his rights and with highly suspect mental capabilities into telling the story the want to hear.

• Aug 04, 2017

4.5/5.0 stars - Grade: A

4.5/5.0 stars - Grade: A

• Jun 24, 2017

Worth watching! The trailer for this movie isn't the correct one. The one I watched was a documentary.

• Jan 16, 2015

I was told to view this film by a fellow criminal justice and psychology major. I am very happy I watched this. This very case showed us a flaw in our criminal justice system. Due to this case there was a change in how interrogations and other treatments of suspects. As for the documentary itself, one of the best I have seen in a while. They had actual court room footage and followed the case nicely. I have to admit there were a few times I almost cried because of the treatment people like Delbert receive in society and sadly at times in this very system. To me this was a great documentary but not for everyone to view. Some may believe I rated this film to high but I feel that this very case that changed the criminal justice system was captured quite well compared to other documentaries.

• Aug 09, 2014

Just keep watching.......

Just keep watching.......

• Aug 02, 2014

Fascinating documentary about the Ward brothers and the murder trial surrounding them. Joe Berlinger lays bare the different stories and lets the audience decide for themselves.

• Jul 05, 2014

Easily one of the best documentaries ever made.

Easily one of the best documentaries ever made.

• Mar 17, 2013

hard to watch but you will be very glad you did.

hard to watch but you will be very glad you did.

• Feb 08, 2013

I found this documentary to be quite upsetting. I thought that it was going to be about euthanasia. But in reality, it is more about how the state can take advantage of people who are illiterate and unacquainted with their civil rights. Frankly, I don't care if Delbert Wade killed his brother out of a sense of mercy. What truly bothers me, is that the state of New York went over board trying to convict him of his brother's murder.