Stalker Reviews

• 2d ago

Obtuse and trancelike, Stalker combines methodical pacing with incredible cinematography, sewn together with dense philosophical reflection. Themes of happiness, contentment, purpose, and fate are explored through this science fiction epic that could very easily have slipped into trivial commentary if not for Tarkovsky's wonderful minimalism. This should be considered a must-watch for fans of world cinema.

• Mar 17, 2020

The pace of this movie is SO slow that I would be willing to bet that 90% of movie watchers would not make it through to the end. Perhaps as an immersive experience when you get lost in the movie---like a good classical music piece or a Cirque du Solei--it is a good movie. But that did not happen for me. Better luck to you.

• Feb 15, 2020

I guess this masterpiece could easily avoid my lame observations and speak on its own. Phenomenal movie.

• Jan 19, 2020

The film is about recreational drug use and someones dream quest. The stalker is the trip buddy and guide. The dog represents the evil instances in the film of the horrible things the characters say or feel. The stalker ends up with a wish for his daughter because his life revolves around his family. Or his own failure in the zone is passed down to his child as a reward. One of the bad characters ends up with a dog of evil that represents his own soul after this soul searching. The scary and best part of this movie is that the gifts given by the zone are based entirely on the life experience and beliefs of the person going into the zone. Someone could go into the zone and think they are christ or napoleon or patton. The moral of the story is. If you are meek enough, have suffered enough, value your childhood enough: the zone could provide you with treasures and adventure beyond your wildest dreams. Namely: True love, happiness. Heaven for yourself and others. And other darker wishes... All you must do is lose your mind. You just need to not be afraid and let it stay in your mind and stay in control. Do not be afraid

• Jan 06, 2020

The standard by which I judge all the worst movies I have the misfortune of watching. A nonsensical snooze-fest from the get go. Hell has to be having to watch "Stalker" on a loop for all eternity.

• Dec 30, 2019

Tarkovsky's finest work. Absolute cinematic classic

Tarkovsky's finest work. Absolute cinematic classic

• Nov 14, 2019

Honestly, I was extremely disappointed. The movie failed to get my attention, and people say that's the point? The movie's pacing is a disaster, the amazing cinematography and brilliant soundtrack were what kept me from turning off the TV or rewatching titanic for the 100th time instead. I am really surprised by the 100% rotten tomatoes score when the movie is trying so hard to qualify as a masterpiece. It is like someone painted the canvas black and expects it to be called a work of art. Anyways, give it a go, who knows, maybe you will connect with the mind and thoughts of the eccentric Andrei Tarkovsky.

• Nov 04, 2019

Reading the book before watching this movie, I was expecting more special effects of the Zone. Yet, Tarkovsky pleasantly surprises me by making this a film more about the human experience than of a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Though artistic, I find the film itself a bit too slow moving for my tastes and had moments where I nearly dozed off. 3.5/5. I'd still rate this as one of Tarkovsky's great masterpieces but was a bit slow. Would recommend this for anyone wanting a crash course on Tarkovsky.

• Oct 24, 2019

In my private opinion the Zone gets less and less mistical with every iteration (first beeing the "Roadside Picnic", second this movie and third the game seires). But then again, every journey to the Zone is a journey into one of the most cleverly invented and unsetteling settings in all of the fictional worlds and as such demands all the respect it deserves.

• Oct 06, 2019

This is perhaps the WORST movie ever made. Boring...pretentious...badly in need of editing...outside of that, maybe you'll enjoy it.