The Lost World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost World Reviews

January 28, 2013
Influential in its ways, with a storyline that would be used time and time again for countless creature features like most notably King Kong, a film which with special effects also credited to Willis O'Brien. The romance storyline is out of place, the film is a late starter and in many ways it is indubitably outdated.
October 28, 2012
"And I'm not here tonight to defend my statements - - but to demand that a committee be formed to go back to the Lost World with me -..."

Synopsis: Maverick scientist Prof. Challenger claims that dinosaurs still exist on a remote Brazilian plateau, and to prove his assertion he leads an expedition up the Amazon.

I find it kind of odd that silent cinema is so forgotten by so many. As more and more films being made with production budgets climbing ever closer to the stratospheric sky and as these films seam to be more and more special effects driven forgoing the complexity of character development, today's action films and big budget hollywood blockbusters more and more resemble a silent feature, albeit much much louder.

The Lost World is undeniably one of the most famous silent features. Many people have probably already seen the film as Steven Spielberg's The Lost World; Jurassic Park or less-so as King Kong with a few notable differences. it's script and characterizations are rather conventional, but the real draw here has always been and always will be it's special effects.

Ground breaking in it's day (you can almost see the genesis and spark that would later manifest itself as King Kong just a few years later), the special effects are now a quaint but incredibly charming piece of work that has instilled in me a desire to go back and give the slightly disappointing King Kong (1933) another shot.

If you are looking for a great, warm hearted adventure flick, may i recommend you take a trip into the past and give the purity of The Lost World a chance.
September 9, 2012
Insanely entertaining, but I've also never seen a movie with so many plot holes and errors. Definitely worth seeing though.
½ July 15, 2012
Really nothing more than a typical adveunture film, but very innovative special effects that would later greatly influence King Kong.
May 13, 2012
classic ahead of it's time
April 18, 2012
Always a favorite amongst the silent films.
March 14, 2012
The Lost World, loosely based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel, is about a team of daredevils who plan an expedition to a South American plateau where dinosaurs still thrive. After dodging some terrible lizards and an aggressive neanderthal, this group captures a brontosaurus and brings it back to London. Naturally, it doesn't stay confined for very long. This silent film is very dated, but the stop-motion effects of Willis O'Brien were astonishing in 1925 and they're still quite spiffy to look at today. While quite watchable, the most notable part of The Lost World is that O'Brien later used the techniques for this film on the much more entertaining King Kong.
March 4, 2012
Everyone checks off King Kong as the grand daddy of FX films, but you have to go to the Lost World about 8 years earlier for the one that arguably started it all with Willis OBrien creating all of the dinosaur effects for this adventure expidition film where a scientist recruits several academics and a reporter to accompany him to South America to confirm the existence of the animals in "modern" South America and clear his name. Cutting edge effects for its time and one of the first if not the first use of stop motion effects and in camera trickery to achieve the creatures. You can tell a lot of the arc has been reused in Kong and Spielbergs JP2 but still holds up considering the passage of time. One of the silent era must sees.
January 15, 2012
Fantatsic stop motion effects by Willis O'Brien amaze in this faithful adaptation of the novel. Apparently Sir Arthur Conan Doyle appears as himself, but didn't spot him.
Cinema-Maniac
January 7, 2012
I've always been fond of silent movies ever since I saw my first Charlie Chaplin short movie as a kid. So going into The Lost World I was excited as little kid, and I was not disappointed.

So the plot resolves around a ridicule professor for claiming that Dinosaurs still roam Earth. He sets out on a dangerous expedition to bring a Dinosaur back and stopped being ridicule. Now for me, I felt the story could've been better, I mean it really has nothing interesting for the first 15 minutes. It's interesting, but it stays the same level of interests for the whole movie, so good being in my case. One scene i'm sure you'll always remember if you choose watch this movie is when the Brontosaurs is loose on the city causing havoc.

The special effect on the other hand are just magical. I couldn't believe how entertained I was to see these Dinosaurs move, I know it clearly fake, but there just something so interesting about these type of special effect. I was also actually surprise see so many different species of Dinosaurs in this movie considering the hard work it must have taken to animate these Dinosaurs. The music also is good, it doesn't always go with the scene, but you won't mind much.

I'm not sure about you, but I enjoy taking a trip to the past to explore these great movies. Like many silent movies, The Lost World is still a enjoyable movie to this, even the dated special effect adds to this movie greatness.
January 7, 2012
The Lost World is a classic special effects film. It's a shame the dreadful Jurassic Park sequel shares the same name.
October 29, 2011
Obviously not the same level of technology as we use today, yet still such a wonderful vision brought to life in such a captivating way. Definitely a classic!
October 28, 2011
Pretty darn good movie. I love these old silent flicks! Lot's of great atmosphere and nice special effects for the time.
½ September 15, 2011
I'm not the biggest silent movie fan. I make a few exceptions though. Metropolis is stunning to me, and The Lost World just made the list. The special effects are a step forward for movies, and the work of Willis O'Brien eventually helped make King Kong, and then he helped train Ray Harryhausen, who did some great work of his own. This is an early visual effects film, but it is also an early example of the adventure tales we still go to see to this day. Landmark film.
September 3, 2011
Like King Kong, the stop motion was spectacular, the dinosaurs moved very fluidly. This was the first silent movie I saw, and I'm happy I watched it. The final scene where the captured Brontosaurus runs amuck in London inspired many films, including the great King King which was released 8 years later. The Lost World: Jurassic Park was also loosely based upon this, with a place dominated by prehistoric creatures, and the final scene, with the T-Rex going on a rampage, was based on the Brontosaurus.

Truly a great film. @!#$ CGI.
August 31, 2011
Almost 100 years old "Bring on your mammoths! Bring on your mastadons!" It was basically "The Jurassic Park" of it's day. If you watch, try not to let the grinding organ music make your head explode, turn down the sound or better yet replace with Ac/Dc Back In Black or Judas Priests' Screaming For Vengeance.
August 17, 2011
Obviously not the same level of technology as we use today, yet still such a wonderful vision brought to life in such a captivating way. One of my favourite silent movies. Definitely a classic!
½ July 10, 2011
How is this 100%? I give it atleast a 60 percent at best.
June 24, 2011
impressive special effects
½ April 2, 2011
The grandfather of dinosaur films (and stop-motion) was assuredly a masterpiece for its time but feels every bit its age.