The Adventures of Mark Twain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Mark Twain Reviews

½ September 22, 2016
It has its moments, but a bit over the top.
½ April 28, 2016
Though it is overlong and gets boring at times it serves as an excellent tribute to one of the greatest American authors. Fredric March was perfectly cast and was outstanding in portraying Mark Twain. (First and only viewing - 4/28/2016)
February 16, 2016
I love this movie. I'm not sure what others mean by "too long", I could have watched it all day. Sure it is a little syrupy in places but basically, it is a wonderful movie to share with the family and something that will stay in your heart and mind.
January 6, 2014
It's too long but does capture Twain's mystique. March is great in the lead.
January 2, 2014
not a doc as listed above but rather an entertaining bio-pic about our beloved samuel clemens
½ February 1, 2010
I think I have a high tolerance for schmaltz. Some of my favorite films have been described by others as too sentimental, but I don't care. I like what I like :) I don't particularly think there's anything wrong with liking stories of that sort... but sometimes its not the script that tests my tolerance level - but actually the music. When the music becomes just a bit too intrusive and overpowers the script rather than adding to the ambiance of a scene. Yes, I'm supposed to feel sad now because - well, the music is loud and sad, I can take a hint! Sometimes it's just too distracting to me and prevents me from completely enjoying what was an interesting, if not all too factual biopic of the popular author and humorist Samuel L. Clemens - a.k.a Mark Twain.

Which is too bad because if ever there was an author that deserves a decent biopic - it would be Mark Twain. He lived an interesting life during interesting times which he translated well into some of the more beloved novels and books of American literature. I have very fond memories of reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a kid and it remains one of my all-time favorite books.

One thing this film did right is the make-up on actor Frederic March. He looks like the spitting image of Twain and does a commendable portrayal. I just feel that the script doesn't do his performance justice is very episodic (which is alright) but feeling a bit too rushed at times. His early childhood in Hannibal, Missouri mirrors the Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn novels. He runs away from home to become a riverboat pilot. He travels to the west with his friend, Steve Gillis (the always enjoyable Alan Hale) in hopes of striking it rich during the Gold Rush. This portion of the film mirrors his work in ROUGHING IT and THE CELEBRATED JUMPING FROG OF CALAVERAS COUNTY...again, not always factual but entertaining at least.

If we are to believe the film - THE CELEBRATED FROG OF CALAVERAS COUNTY was a popular story and help lift the morale of the nation amidst the Civil War. Twain becomes a popular attraction as a humorist on the lecture circuit. It is during this part of the film where I feel the script fails because I just didn't feel the electricity of his talks. Oh, the audience in the film were laughing their butts off...but left me feeling meh!

It is during his lecture tour that Twain meets his future wife, Olivia Langdon, played by Alexis Smith - one of the lesser known beauties from the 1940's, if ya ask me. Twain was smitten by Olivia's beauty years earlier during his days as a riverboat pilot...espying her picture in a locket belong to a being a photo of Alexis Smith - it's very understandable!!!

I think the best part of the film happens during the last third as Twain, despite being a successful novelist is verging on the brink of bankruptcy due to dubious business deals. He meets up with former US president and civil war hero Ulysseys S. Grant, himself destitute and in ill-health. Twain wants to publish Grant's memoirs and offers him what at the time was an unprecedented large advance. It's a key scene which touches on Twain's humanist side.

There are a couple of fantasy sequences involving Tom, Huck and the slave Jim which earned the film special effects nominations in 1945.

Overall, an interesting film...but really made me want to see a more definitive biopic of Mark Twain.
November 8, 2009
You'll love this story about Mark Twain's life.
June 8, 2009
Frederic March plays the part of Samuel Langhorne Clemens (better known as Mark Twain) and does a great job in the lead role. In typical Hollywood style, they took a lot of liberties with not only the truth but the time frame, therefore it was more a work of fiction rather than fact. Still, it was a very enjoyable film.
½ May 24, 2009
Insufferably long, Fredric March just MILKS Twain for all it's worth, GRUNTING to get that Academy Award he so desperately wanted for this role (actually, I'm just making that up) TAOMT doesnt really have much of a story, it just goes on from one period of Twain's life to another. Alexis Smith as Mrs. Twain is pretty good, but it's March that's hogging up the screen most of the time, and for 2 hours, dammit, that's what's yer gonna get!
May 15, 2009
Love stories of being honorable and having a sense of humor, the real kind, that doesn't make people feel bad or unclean (well bad jokes are okay, I love me some Sarah Silverman); "the problem with the weather is that everyone talks about it but nobody does anything about it." Some of it is in a different language, so I think I'll have to watch it again. Makes you think the old days were so much sweeter, struggles can build character, he is a prime example.
½ April 23, 2009
good but not historically accurate
½ November 12, 2007
A bit slow but very lovely.
September 4, 2007
The first thing to note about "The Adventures of Mark Twain" is that it is by no stretch an accurate biography of Mark Twain. In that sense the film is unfortunate, because no doubt they could have still had an interesting film without the need for blatant inaccuracies.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Fredric March is memorable as a witty and principled Twain. March dominates the movie, but the supporting cast gives notable performances as well. The film has a number of great humorous moments as befits a film about Twain. The problems and conflicts developed in the film, although often fictitious, are engaging.

If you are looking for an accurate biography of Mark Twain, avoid this film. However, if you can tolerate the historical liberties, see "The Adventures of Mark Twain" for Fredric March's stellar performance as Twain.
July 7, 2007
See this movie with my wife.
June 21, 2007
Anything that begins "The Adventures of" is usually bad. >_>"
June 13, 2007
You'll love this story about Mark Twain's life.
April 15, 2007
for every little or big boy or girl who likes adventure
½ February 16, 2007
This film is full of lovely visuals and special effects, but Fredric March as Mark Twain is excellent. My only real problem with the film is its tendency to wax melodramatic every once in a while; other than that, great movie.
January 30, 2007
This movie rocks my childhood.
December 12, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!