The Mikado - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mikado Reviews

½ September 6, 2015
I just married this miserable object.

Ko-Ko has recently become part of the foolish city's leader's executioner's council. The leader looks at the execution list and sees it has been some time since there was a public execution. He assigns the newly appointed Ko-Ko next to be executed unless he can find a substitute. He seeks a love sick young man who recently lost his girl to take his place. The young man's love interest happens to be the princess, further complicating matters.

"I shall have to execute someone at once."

Victor Schertzinger, director of Kiss the Boys Goodbye, Road to Zanzibar, Forgotten Faces, Uptown New York, Thunder Mountain, Siberia, and The Lily, delivers The Mikado. The storyline for this picture was just okay and contains interesting characters and funny plots and sub plots. The acting was okay and appropriate for the content.

"Burned alive? It's such a stuffy death."

I came across this on Netflix and thought the cover looked cool so I gave it a shot. This was a very average parody that was just okay but entertaining and worth a viewing one lazy Sunday. This isn't as good as The Teahouse of the August Moon but it is worth watching once.

"It takes years to train a man to love me."

Grade: C
½ January 27, 2014
ok musical not my bag though
October 10, 2013
An accurate look at the original play. Great songs and plenty of humor.
½ July 23, 2012
0.5: I really hated this. It is just a straight-up filmed version of Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado made in 1939 (i.e. there is no backstage drama, it is as if they filmed the play on-stage in London). I guess I didn't realize how lackluster the music was either. I can't recall ever seeing a musical with less to offer. The depiction of the Japanese people and culture is just ludicrous as well. Unless that was the point, but I don't get the sense they're that clever. They just seem like idiots. It's only value is to function as a historical document of what a stage version of the time must have been like, but I found no enjoyment in it whatsoever. Awful in every sense (i.e. the music, the choreography, the set design, the costumes, the make-up, the performances, the story, etc).
May 31, 2012
A very interesting chronicle of what the show looked like 75 years ago. Colorful and full of Technicolor magic. Still seems to be missing a certain something and I'm not sure I enjoyed it anymore than the 1983 production I did the lighting for!
March 18, 2012
Too much Hollywood, and not enough Gilbert and Sullivan!
½ January 11, 2012
Taking away half a star for Baker's acting.
August 1, 2011
Although it looks like a recipe for offense, the joke is on bureaucracy and government rather than the Japanese. This film of Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta (set in a delightfully imaginary Japan) has enough visual beauty to match the score, and the performances are hilarious. Deserves more attention.
June 13, 2011
For a 1939 movie, it's very funny and fun to watch. The colour photography changes shades a little (I have the criterion edition so it's not a poor quality transfer at all) but other than that, the movie is absolutely lavish. The sets and costumes are gorgeous and the amount of colour on screen gives it a very epic, royal feel to it. The story itself is very much like something out of Shakespeare with just as much wit, humor and plot complications as you'd expect. Very enjoyable and I thank Criterion for if not for them I would have never discovered this movie (seriously, it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page).
½ May 23, 2011
"Oh, it's funny because it's racist" as Ricky Gervais once said, but when Gilbert & Sullivan wrote "The Mikado", taking place in a bizarrely exaggerated Japan, they were not out to mock Japan at all. It was a mockery of British-isms but set in Japan in disguise. Ah, witty! You still think all British comedy owes itself to Python? Guess again. Gilbert & Sullivan have been at it from the late 1800's. Now the stage adaptation of one of their best known "The Mikado" was done with the D'oyly Carte performers (mostly) and mostly unchanged from the original play. Maybe that's why it was only 'very good' as opposed to 'great', as it just seemed like a stageplay. But on one note, the deleted scene which mocks Hitler, was one of the funniest things I've ever seen! Made me laugh out loud hysterically.
May 14, 2011
Gilbert and Sullivan's hilarious Japanese-set romantic satire is given a fine Technicolor treatment at Pinewood Studios, with mostly stage actors reprising roles originated in London.
½ August 13, 2008
An innovative, funny operetta from wat back when! Some interesting views of the Japanese!