Last Holiday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Holiday Reviews

March 4, 2016
Has an interesting mix of drama with a set of mildly amusing characters, although this is not a comedy. It's a pretty good character study.
March 1, 2016
charming British comedy where a salesman is told he is to die soon spends his savings on an expensive holiday and starts to live his life to the max
½ November 18, 2014
Strange, REALLY British movie. Starts with a strong premise full of potential, but the direction it decides to go with it is very odd. Very class conscious, too much so in fact.
April 23, 2013
Great story, excellent cast, the film sticks with you--Guinness Pure Genius!!
½ August 26, 2012
Extremely overrated. Starts off well, but quickly becomes stodgy. I'd pass on this one.
April 10, 2012
Great movie love to watch it over and ova!
January 21, 2012
The second act feels today like it's just going through the motions, but the third still works in every conceivable way. The levels of irony and shifting perceptions in the final reel are simply amazing.
January 11, 2012
Alec Guinness leads a cast of familiar English characters in this short story about a dying man's last fling at life that's as cozy and predictable as a drink after work at your favorite watering hole.
½ March 30, 2011
Bachelor George Bird (Alec Guinness) is given the rather unfortunate diagnosis that he has a rare disease and only has a short time to live. George is a salesman who has not done much in live, nor has endeavored to enjoy his life. He decides to go on holiday at a swank hotel. There, he is a man of mystery to the guests. He is an intelligent man with ideas not often heard of amongst their ranks. The film no doubt skewers the British class system. His assumed prominence gives George a new found respect by others who begin to listen to his ideas and soon he is being offered lofty jobs that he would not have otherwise been given outside his circumstance. The film is wonderfully subtle and strays away from melodrama, instead focusing on human interaction. Alec Guinness wonderfully portrays George in a perfectly balanced performance. A very strong British gem, and leagues better than the Queen Latifah remake!
October 26, 2010
This is a cool movie, it's sort of a dark comedy at times, and a drama at other times. The story is good and the actors are good. I liked this movie, and I recommend watching it.
½ October 26, 2010
Both an ironic existential delight and a scathing indictment of the fickleness of people, this film reminds us all that we had better live now while we still have time.
½ October 24, 2010
Well this a very charming little film that has some good themes. It sorta takes digs at the upper class while also showing us that an enjoyable life doesn't always come from having lots of money but rather life is what you make of it. Alec Guiness gives a quiet, restrained performance. Hes the best in scenes where he can't hold back, can't keep face about his upcoming death. I didn't find the film as funny, so I dunno if I would personally classify it as a comedy as others have though it has a lot of light-hearted scenes. Just nothing outright funny..it's just charming film I would say. I wish the film had a better pace, it seemed a little slow at times and I was dissatisfied with the ending. I just think the character of George should have been allowed to live his life with the happiness that he found for himself. But I guess that's because I felt for the character and you don't always get what you want in life-exactly what the film was trying to say.
sanjurosamurai
July 6, 2010
im blown away that there are people that dont love this film. rules of the game may be known as the best commentary on high society, but dare i say it, i like this film better. guinness was incredible in the lead role, and every actor played their roles perfectly. the emotional roller-coaster that we receive is not melo-dramamtic, its far more subtle and intentional, and the message of the film carries major weight. a must see.
December 9, 2009
A charming, moving and incisive dramedy. A man with only a short time to live quits his dreary job and goes to spend his last days in an upper-crust resort hotel. Although the story does contain a few trite "life lessons", for the most part it's not too cloying, and the upstairs/downstairs class differences are handled very well. Alec Guinness is of course magnificent in the lead, but the supporting actors are all quite good too. Just an all-around fine movie. This was remade a few years by Wayne Wang starring Queen Latifah. I suspected the new one would have a much different ending... I looked up a spoiler and I was correct. Fucking Hollywood.
August 5, 2009
You've been diagnosed with a life-ending disease and have weeks to live. Do you spend time with your loved ones (like most), erect a statue preserving your honor for the fans (like me) or vacation at a hotel with your life savings after buying fancy clothes (like Alec Guinness)? The answer here is the last choice and serves as the opportune setting for Guiness' George to make the lives of those he encounters (a whispering maid, a financially-troubled couple, the overly sweaty hotel owner, etc.) better and meaningful... two concepts George never quite seemed to grasp in his own existence (which is hard to believe since he is jolly, pleasant and has an awesome mustache before news of his fictitious disease is disclosed). I'm fine with stories about giving back to others and questioning mortality (especially when they carry a black comedy streak like this one), but I'm not fine with out-of-nowhere plot twists that come on the heels of a development no one could possibly have doubted was coming. Seriously, the last 10 minutes of this feel like the director got in a bad mood one as filming went on and decided to dump on everyone involved, especially the audience. Turn this off with 10 minutes to go and you'll be fine.
June 12, 2009
Nice movie of which the weight is totally carried by the great Alec Guinness. His cynical and morbid humor fits the storyline perfect (the 'stiff upper lip' remark was priceless). It's sort of the comical counterpart of Kurosawa's 'Ikiru' but instead of doing something for the community Guinness' character tries to make the most of his last weeks on earth. This tragicomedy certainly doesn't rank as high as Guinness' work for the Ealing Studios but it's worth watching. I found the amount of characters a bit chaotic and the fact that the main character tried to engage romances with two different women quite bizarre. The ending was very surprising but didn't let you feel unfulfilled, although a bit sad. In the middle of the film the story gets a bit sluggish when you're seeing a whole array of scenes about the luck that Guinness' character has but they never develop further. Remade in 2006 by Wayne Wang but I think I'm going to let that one slip.
February 15, 2009
good but this story has been told and retold over & over
November 20, 2008
The solid tragic comedy tells the Dickenesque story of a man's second spring in life as he discovers that he suffers from a fatal illness. A good performance by the late Alec Guiness makes this movie enjoyable above average. Yet, the movie suffers from a slow pace, an uninspired direction and a very weak supporting cast. Still, it is worth a watch if you are into Alec Guiness.
½ December 23, 2007
this movie was okay not great.
November 5, 2007