The Firm Reviews

• Jul 28, 2019

Tom cruise best movie I seen

Tom cruise best movie I seen

• May 22, 2019

This is such a bad film. It is an hour and a half too long, and the beginning and middle are insanely dull. The production value and score do not stand up to the test of time at all. This is an example of all of the worst things about the 90's, which might be one of the worst decades for filmmaking.

• Jan 30, 2019

A gripping story, well portrayed by an excellent cast.

A gripping story, well portrayed by an excellent cast.

• Jan 19, 2019

Packed with plot twists and gripping performances from Gene Hackaman and Tom Cruise. Intense and clever, The Firm was a huge hit in Cruise's career of many great films

• Dec 28, 2018

Just so you know, this is a tame legal thriller and I feel like it's R rating is due to the amount of profanity in the film, not the amount of violence. I like the concept of the movie a lot. I think the idea of a law firm being tied to a Chicago crime syndicate is pretty original and intriguing, however, I feel like there was a lot of unnecessary exposition throughout the film that, as a result, slowed down the pacing. I was surprised of the lack of violence in the movie. There's only one gory part of the film and it's not even that bad. The performances given by Tom Cruise, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Holly Hunter, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris are quite solid and help tell the story well, but I did feel myself getting bored at times throughout the film's 2hr34m runtime. There is lots of buildup to the action and in some cases, a little too much. I feel like if some of the scenes in the first half hour were trimmed down or even deleted so we could get to the action quicker, it would be way more enjoyable. All in all, I like the story and I like the actors, but there were just way too many moments that just didn't keep the story moving quick enough for my liking.

• Sep 17, 2018

a misconceived amalgamation of the so called thrills.. The Firm The Firm is a character driven thriller drama depicting the inner politics that rots out the firm from the inside. Ticking for more than 150 minutes, the overkill sets in early and the primary reason to that is the over chewing of its character's perspective that may offer a more personal experience and helps connect instantly, but it also grows wafer thin as the character doesn't have the anticipated wide range. The scrutiny doesn't hit up till the first hour is clocked, the first act is spent upon setting up the plots and characters that may be appreciative but not at this length, not at this price. The sound effects are sharp, the background score is mysterious, the cinematography isn't that impressive and neither is camera work along with editing. The pragmatic conversations, well spread out webs of lies and deceptions that are constructed and barred under law and the three dimensional characters that may not be intriguing but it surely is plausible for the effort invested. Cruise is complex and yet easy to read due to its performance with a support from mysterious Hackman and honest as Hunter has ever been delivering some of her best work. Pollock's execution might be bang on his bucks, but overcooking the wafer thin script where the heat from the soul is extracted brutally and to encounter it on screen is just painful. Addition to that, the adaptation too isn't that smart as the writers think, it may be adaptive and smarter, but it sure ain't gripping. The inner politics that is brewed with keen sense of awareness of the financial laws, the stakes that can easily be grasped and Cruise's heartbreaking performance are the high points of the feature. The Firm is a misconceived amalgamation of the so called thrills and ipso facto even its chase is shallow and benign.

• Aug 28, 2018

very realistic in its plot.

very realistic in its plot.

• Aug 26, 2018

Still my favorite Grisham adaptation. Tom Cruise is at his charming best as he does what he does better than any other actor... running with urgent purpose. As much as I love my Tommy, Gene Hackman is the really star here. He's dynamite. Another wonderful performance that goes under appreciated here, Wilford Brimley! Yes the lovable quacker oats, tv granpa who Battled For Endor as a scary, no nonsense enforcer. He is legitimately scary in this role. Well paced with a fantastic score, The Firm holds up.

• Aug 15, 2018

I liked it but it could've been way shorter

I liked it but it could've been way shorter

• Aug 05, 2018

Sydney Pollack tries its best to pull together a complex advocate-crime drama with certain thrilling elements and all the charm and talent its cast could bring, including a solid Tom Cruise in the lead role, but an over length plot that keeps expanding, and the lack of genuine suspense and wit does cero help into compensating for its familiar themes and almost boring takes on its own plot, something not even Gene Hackman was able to improve with his pleasant presence.