Equinox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Equinox Reviews

August 1, 2016
Thought it was great! The acting could be a lot better....
August 1, 2015
what is missed by the reviews is the layered psychological complexity. Living with consuming fear vs living with none. About growing up in an orphanage and learning to be hard vs growing up with an emotionally disturbed father, who fails ti teach his son about personal power. It show cases the lives of those who obviously suffered coming up and how those early injuries continue to haunt them. Like so many movies about the the psychologically injured, no one goes to a therapist - no one sorts it out.

This movie is sublime and its power is easily missed, as is evidenced by all the negative reviews.
July 25, 2015
Includes some of the infamous Alan Rudolph quirkiness, but not enough.
½ June 5, 2012
For this sort of film to resonate, the inner mood of the characters must be reflected, but with Modine's flat performances, the main character remains frustratingly opaque.
½ November 18, 2011
interesting drama from a under rated and over looked director rudolph.
½ May 7, 2009
Equinox is a completely cool and imaginative little film. It is totally Lovecraftian and shares alot in common with The Evil Dead.
Very low budget it still manages to be a spfx extravaganza. The stop motion is pretty primative and crude. But that is also the one of many charming qualities of the film.
Well thought out and acted, Equinox is for the forgiving only. A perfect example of a drive-in classic.
April 27, 2009
This review is for Jack Harri's 1967 Equinox. Why the fuck has flixster changed it to the 1992 piece of crap??
½ December 11, 2008
I know it's supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek, but sometimes it's hard to tell whether the filmmakers are doing something on purpose or if it's just a case of bad amateurish filmmaking. Either way, it's all cheesy fun once the claymation monsters show up and there are definitely some interesting visual tricks on display. It's nothing really that special though, and it's not without its fair share of dull moments. Supposedly one of the movies that inspired The Evil Dead, the influences and similarities are clear, even if it's not exactly the same type of movie.
½ December 10, 2008
Best stopmotion ever
½ December 3, 2008
Horrible acting, shotty special effects, and sloppy transitions... and I LOVED IT! There's something interesting about watching a movie like this that freeze frames the era when it was made. I wasn't too happy with the ending and I pretty much saw it coming but it was great to laugh at the movie throughout. I think it was unintentionally funny because for the most part this movie took itself VERY seriously.
November 14, 2008
For a movie with a budget of some $6,500, it's much better than you'd imagine. The acting is more or less decent, the effects show a lot of effort put into them, and even the cinematography is pretty good. So why only three stars?

Well, the plot is thin at best, the character motivations are often unbelievable, and some of the developments they expect the audience to swallow stretch one's suspension of disbelief considerably. (The devil is deathly afraid of a couple of twigs tied together? Seriously?)

"Equinox" isn't a bad film; the people behind it obviously had a lot of heart. But I'm tempted to say their hearts were in the wrong place, given the lackluster story and less than stellar script.
October 30, 2008
Sheer campy goodness!
October 30, 2008
Simple movie fighting against evil, sad im old enough to remember when it came out
October 15, 2008
Cast list given in 'Movie info' is for a different film, made in 1992, LOL.
½ October 1, 2008
This is a fun movie considering it was basically made by high-school students in 1967. The release date in this listing must be for a VHS or laserdisc release. This was released on DVD for the first time a couple of years ago with two versions of the film and lots of extra features, and it's well worth a look. The filmmakers went on to careers as effects artists, and their talent is clearly evident here.
½ October 1, 2008
Largely unwatchable. Shoestring budget or not, I wish 'film students' could still learn basic 180 degree rules and proper cut/angle techniques (cost for this: $0). The only reason to experience this is to see where the 'Evil Dead' series got most of their inspiration from...
September 7, 2008
One of the greatest stopmotion monster flicks I have ever seen. from the genius behind star wars and Jurassic Park. Inspiring to say the least.
August 28, 2008
The acting was good. It's indie... I didn't love it. Maybe it was the pace, but it seamed kind of dull to me.
August 2, 2008
Thought it was great! The acting could be a lot better....