Hocus Pocus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hocus Pocus Reviews

December 2, 2017
"Hocus Pocus" is a guilty pleasure I relish seeing annually (or more often, if possible). Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker were horribly good as the three Sanderson sisters. Garry Marshall and Penny Marshall were hilarious as the "master" and his long-suffering wife. Its daytime scenes were shot in the towns of Salem and Marblehead, Massachusetts, giving the film a more authentic look. Having lived in the area, watching the film was an almost nostalgic experience for me. How anyone could consider this movie "mean spirited and lacking any sense of whimsy" is a mystery beyond my comprehension. The rendition of "I put a spell on you" would be worth the price of admission.
December 2, 2017
Hocus Pocus has a weak script and not a lot of wit, but its outstanding cast, the dark atmosphere, the funny musical moments and its originality standed out of what could have been a lost cause.
November 17, 2017
Only the greatest movie of all time. I just wish Bette would have sung more numbers in it.
November 8, 2017
Hocus Pocus is a family friendly film with plenty of laughs and fun for the Halloween season. 300 hundred years after the death of the Sanderson sisters a young sceptic lights the black flame candle bringing the witches back to life for one night to suck the lives out of little children. Although this film was received poorly at the time by most critics, this film is very enjoyable and wonderfully eccentric. The Sanderson sisters are by far the best part of the film and Bette Midler is the star of the show as Winifred Sanderson, giving an incredibly flamboyant and consistently cartoon like performance that is a joy to watch. Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy also have a lot of good comedic moments as the child-like Sarah Sanderson and the bumbling Mary Sanderson. Omri Katz and Vanessa Shaw have good chemistry as Max and Vinessa but Thora Birch really stands out as an excellent child actress, playing Dani, and steals every scene that she's in. Some of the themes and humour in the film are a little dark and perhaps a bit too mature for children, focussing too much on Max being a virgin and Sarah Sanderson in particular being overly sexualised for a family friendly film. However, from my own experience watching Hocus Pocus as a child, these references will go over most children's heads and not spoil the experience for them.
The sets, props and costumes are also well done and very detailed particularly the spell book with it's moving eye. The use of practical effects holds up quite well over time, especially the scenes where the witches fly on their brooms using rigs and wires instead of green screen. The music is also catchy and enjoyable and fits the theme of the film well, featuring a song performed by Bette Midler, of course, and another by Sarah Jessica Parker.
Overalll, although my opinion may be tainted by nostalgia, I still find this film thoroughly charming and fun. The theme of brother and sisterly bonds is nice and the new take on witches being bumbling and not understanding modern technology and conveniences is different and endearing. This is a perfect film to watch at Halloween if you don't want to watch something scary and it's no surprise to me that this film has become a cult classic
½ November 7, 2017
Very good. Very well acted.
November 1, 2017
Annoying and boring with a few funny moments, it's very popular on Halloween but I would personally skip.
½ October 31, 2017
I saw this movie and it's boring
October 30, 2017
4/5. A fantastic Halloween movie. A lot of Hocus Pocus doesn't make much sense, but I don't care because it's so much fun.
½ October 29, 2017
I?m a huge fan of Disney Classics but this one just didn?t hit the spot. Maybe it?s because I?ve never seen it before and didn?t appreciate it prior to the movies changing so much over the years but wouldn?t watch it again. Aside from the Halloween theme, which is why I watched it, the story did nothing for me. Cudos to Bette Midler though for a great performance.
October 29, 2017
Always loved this movie
It's so fun
October 28, 2017
Dreadfully Funny.
Watching right this minute. In our TOP 10 Halloween Movies.
Clever and UNIQUE...a really nice family fresh movie. Nothing contrived, nothing hokey...and it most certainly isn't muddled. The story is quite clear to moi. 1 of the few movies Sarah Jessica Parker entertains. This and Striking Distance.
October 27, 2017
A really good Halloween movie for the family.Especially the kids.
October 25, 2017
Hocus Pocus has some of the most laughable 90's cliches imaginable, yet it is still an irresistible movie to watch around Halloween. Its charm along with the very entertaining performances from the actresses who play the witches make this a perfectly okay film to get the Halloween vibes going.

6/10
October 24, 2017
Great Halloween theme Disney Movie in 90s Childhood. I seen this movie in HBO and The Disney Channel when I was a kid
October 23, 2017
Dumb stupid Halloween movie that I'll probably watch again next Halloween.
½ October 22, 2017
This should be called "Fish-Out-of-Water Comedy: The Movie"
October 22, 2017
A classic Halloween movie that gets better with age. Never takes itself too seriously and wonderfully eccentric performances by all three leads make this film a blast.
½ October 22, 2017
Hocus Pocus (1993) - has gained such a cult following from 90's kids over the years despite it's poor reviews. Many people go insane for this movie every year around Halloween and I was very curious to find out why. I might not have nostalgia for this movie in any form but I still thought to give it a chance and strangely enough it didn't seem to turn out the way I would have hoped.
The Story does admittedly sound quite good in concept and their are a couple of times when it would become creative and Interesting especially when it comes to the movie's beginning. For the record, I already knew that this film was deemed a guilty pleasure and I knew that this film wasn't suppose to be taken that seriously but in all honesty, nothing much stuck out to me. To it's credit it does try harder than a lot of the typical Disney live action family comedies and all the energy that went into this movie is definitely noticeable but for some reason I never really found anything that stuck out to me.
The Characters can range from being average to kinda enjoyable but it does depend on which character we focus on. The main characters are kinda your typical kids and They unfortunately do sort of come down with typical live action family movie idis. To their credit they're not the worst characters and I admittedly did somewhat like the relationship between Max and Dani. I also liked Thackery Binx as his performance was charming and he was probably the only main protagonist who stood out to me. The real stars of the show are the witches. Even though they can be a mixed bag with their humor I think they are the most entertaining just by how much energy they put into their characters. Some characters are better than others but in the end I could tell that all of them were at least trying.
The Cinematography surprisingly isn't all that bad and it does succeed at capturing the joys of Halloween. I usually like it whenever they show the trick or treaters running about in the neighborhood or the halloween decorations on the houses as it does give a sense of childhood nostalgia. The witches cottage is also really well designed and it gives a chilling sensation of fear and also an enchanting looking hideout. The effects are also really well done and they really work in the scenes when anything magical or scary is happening. I'll give credit that this is a nice movie to look at and their was a lot of effort that was put into making the movie have as much Halloween as possible.
The Music isn't necessarily anything special but once in awhile it can prove to be quite entertaining to listen to. The orchestra does play out in a whimsical manner to symbolise the feeling of fall and Halloween. The organ music is also very welcomed as it works greatly in the spookiest of moments. Some of the songs used in the film are sung by the witches and they are enormously entertaining. I especially enjoy "I put a spell on you as it really does showcase the energy and personality of actors playing the witches.
To a lot of people, it's a guilty pleasure but unfortunately I didn't like it as much as would have hoped I would. Outside of the performance of the witches some good cinematography and catchy numbers it's unfortunate for me to say that i didn't necessarily like this movie as much as everyone else. I might not be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon but i'm glad this movie still has tons of fan who watch this movie every year. (C+)
October 22, 2017
Man I must have watched this movie a lot when I was a kid. I remember seeing it a lot, but damn, re-watching it I realized I basically have this thing memorized scene for scene. Funny thing is, it still made me laugh.
Speaking in a critical sense, it's definitely got its problems. It's got a lot of weird moments, the virgin talk is pretty uncomfortable, and it has a few of those annoying 90's clichés like the kid who hates his new home and the bullies so campy they'd be more likely to be the ones getting bullied in real life. These things are a little annoying, and they keep me from calling it a great film, but the stuff that's good is just so good. The kid and teen actors do a pretty good job, especially for young actors, but the ones who steal the show are the witches themselves. This is the only movie I've seen where Sarah Jessica Parker was enjoyable, Kathy Najimy is the cliché frumpy one but she totally owns it, and Bette Midler, oh my god, Bette Midler. This is one of the most entertaining performances I've ever seen from an actor, period. It's like she knew the film was goofy and just took it as a chance to go all-out weird. It's over-the-top for sure, but it's so joyously over-the-top it's amazing. Not to discount the other two witches, they're great as well, but good god Midler just owns this role. I also have to give a shout out to Doug Jones as Billy the zombie. He's not in much of the movie, but he's such a weird presence and give so much personality just in his facial responses he's a delight.
This seems to be a guilty pleasure for a lot of people, and it really is for me too. It's got flaws, definitely, but the stuff that's good is just so good. It's a fun celebration of the holiday with a cast that is clearly having a ton of fun, and that fun is infectious to the audience.
October 20, 2017
A childhood classic that's beloved by my entire family