Hocus Pocus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hocus Pocus Reviews

October 20, 2016
An annual guilty pleasure that gets you in the Halloween spirit, that has Midler, Najimy & Parker at their hokey best!
October 16, 2016
Saw it with some friends who had it as their favorite movie as kids, which was lovely.
October 11, 2016
Nothing could match up to the charisma and charm of Midler, Parker & Najimy, but that's ultimately all that was going for the film. Hocus Pocus is a fair attempt at a spooky, humorous family film that's filled with inconsistencies. However, there is glimmer in its heartfelt tone and outrageous gags that give it its cult-like following especially during the Halloween season. 3/5
October 8, 2016
this is the best Halloween movie all time. Sarah Jessica Parker throws heat the entire time.
October 7, 2016
Best Halloween film ever made. Just love it.
October 4, 2016
Best Halloween Movie EVER
October 1, 2016
Seeing as its October 1st, I thought I'd review a the Disney cult classic "Hocus Pocus." Now this film was hated by majority of critics including the great Siskel and Ebert who gave it very negative reviews, and usually I am even harsher on films especially Disney films because my expectations are through the roof! However here I actually enjoyed watching this mediocre witch flick. Sure its clichéd, campy, and unbearable at times, but I admire it because of what a huge risk it was for Disney to produce. This film is relatively darker then most current Disney films and was a bold risk to take with a family audience as it has children having the life sucked out of them to the point of death, public hangings, a couple swear words, and many more things that most family pictures of the time didn't dare to include. What I also like about this film is the three Witches played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. These three are the highlight of the movie and pretty much the only reason I liked it as much as I did. Every seen they are in is enjoyable which is more than I can say about any other cast member except for the cameos of Gary and Penny Marshall and the zombie thing. This brings me to the unbearable parts of the movie the rest of the characters, who are all boring, clichéd, uninspired, drab who take up way too much screen time! Every time they are on screen you just want to fast forward to The Witches or zombie Billy Butcherson again. And that's why I think most people dislike this film because the characters we want to see are pushed aside to give us uninspired cardboard cut outs in its place. So in closing I give this movie a 3/5 rating.
September 26, 2016
Sure Hocus Pocus has its flaws but its talented cast of witches really pick up the slack and you really can't deny this film's impact as a cult classic. That must count for something right?
September 24, 2016
This movie is really good and an all time favorite of mine. I watch it every year around Halloween. It's not a great movie, but don't listen to the critics. Friends and booze also helps.
September 13, 2016
This is the best Halloween movie ever.
½ September 6, 2016
not sure what the hype is
August 26, 2016
Perhaps it's through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia that I rate this movie so highly. But in absolute truth, that would be a false claim.

Hocus Pocus can be perceived as a mixed bag of ideas and feelings: characters are likeable, but aren't fleshed out enough; it can come across as mean-spirited in parts, but you can see where the heart comes into play in others; it has plenty of moments for kids, but has moments that can potentially lead to genuine upset. So, with that taking into account, it does come across as disjointed in tone and structure.

But the performances of the actors, who are all very good, especially Midler, who ends up stealing every scene she's in with her hammy performance, can help you forgive and forget the movie's lack of balance.

All in all, Hocus Pocus is loud, wacky, spooky, and often touching. I recognise some its problems, and it has many, I can't lie about that; however, it is an underrated romp for kids, and they should see it at least once in their lives on Halloween, tucked up with the family, as was Disney's usual intention with their films.
½ August 16, 2016
Trying to be funny is what Hocus Pocus wants to be, and it did not work, unlike its charming story.
August 7, 2016
A gem for those who grew up with this oddly comical movie.
July 30, 2016
Pretty fun film, Not for really young children they might get scared, Not as funny as it should be, The story has been done before, The best thing about this film is Bette Midler she plays the main witch brilliantly.
July 26, 2016
A Halloween-themed classic with solid direction and performances.
½ July 22, 2016
great as kid, not so much as adult
June 30, 2016
All time Halloween favorite!
June 12, 2016
Remarkably and oddly cult-like in approach, a dark Disney flick and a film about a trio of 300 year old witches deserves a way better critical analysis, generally. The acting from the three leading ladies is committed and consistent throughout, particularly from Midler as the matriarchal sorceress Winifred Sanderson. I don't actually know anyone that dislikes Hocus Pocus, especially when watched with family in the dark on Halloween night. Its really a tribute to the holiday of Halloween - my favourite holiday - and its only this and Michael Dougherty's Trick 'r Treat that really convey the exciting spirit of it. It meanders between scary and zany in a heartbeat and its so much fun throughout. It also stars a very young and fresh-faced Thora Birch who avoids the typical "annoying, over-acting Disney kid" archetype thankfully and is great on screen. Vinessa Shaw and Omri Katz also give good performances and manage to not be overshadowed by the witches. Its also jam-packed with detail that adults will enjoy more than children, in fact I'd probably recommend this to older kids and their parents. Definitely a must-watch for Halloween and a nostalgic favourite.