Hocus Pocus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hocus Pocus Reviews

September 19, 2017
This movie is incredible, it is an absolute DISGRACE that the average rating is 4.4 out of 10. The critics are dumb LIARS. Watch this movie, it is the greatest halloween movie of ALL time. The critics are incorrect!!
September 11, 2017
It's a incredible movie I love how it is so present but old
September 10, 2017
Man this movie never gets old!
August 14, 2017
Best and funniest Halloween movie ever ??
July 23, 2017
Cute, quirky, and a true holiday classic. It wouldn't be Halloween without watching this film at least 10 times.
½ July 20, 2017
I can't say it's perfect, but for me at least it is a classic around halloween time. Even with how dated this movie is and how bad the story arguably is, I can't help to laugh when ever me and my family sit down to watch it.
June 26, 2017
Hocus Pocus is described as weird and just plain mediocre. Kind of a really dumb film and at times can be cringe worthy everytime one of the witches cackle. Not really one of Bette Mitler's finest performances but it's an okay film for Halloween time. Storyline wasn't written well, Cast is Okay. If you want something mindless to watch during the fall season then this is it
June 17, 2017
"Hocus Pocus" is a film desperately in need of self-discipline.
March 11, 2017
Seeing as its October 1st as I'm writing this, I thought I'd review a Disney cult classic "Hocus Pocus." Now, this film was hated by a majority of critics including the great Siskel and Ebert who gave it very negative reviews, and usually, I am even harsher on films especially Disney films because my expectations are through the roof! However here I actually enjoyed watching this mediocre witch flick. Sure it's clichéd, campy, and unbearable at times, but I admire it because of what a huge risk it was for Disney to produce. This film is relatively darker than most current Disney films and was a bold risk to take with a family audience as it has children having the life sucked out of them to the point of death, public hangings, a couple swear words and many more things that most family pictures of the time didn't dare to include. What I also like about this film is the three Witches played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. These three are the highlight of the movie and pretty much the only reason I liked it as much as I did. Every scene they are in is enjoyable which is more than I can say about any other cast member except for the cameos of Gary and Penny Marshall and the zombie thing. This brings me to the unbearable parts of the movie the rest of the characters, who are all boring, clichéd, uninspired, drab who take up way too much screen time! Every time they are on screen you just want to fast forward to The Witches or zombie Billy Butcherson again. And that's why I think most people dislike this film because the characters we want to see are pushed aside to give us uninspired cardboard cut-outs in its place. So in closing, I give this movie a 3/5 rating.
½ February 5, 2017
Classic Halloween movie.
½ December 27, 2016
Is very nostalgic and immortalized as a Halloween movie in the eyes of many. at least better than DC movies.
December 14, 2016
A dark movie for all the family.
½ November 16, 2016
A funny Halloween flick with a hilariously over-the-top performance from Bette Midler.
November 12, 2016
It's the best film ever
½ November 3, 2016
A Halloween tradition! Midler is fantastic.
November 1, 2016
BEST HALLOWEEN FILM EVER. As a 30-something I not only have fond memories but have now also given my daughter fond memories of watching this film. You can see how much fun they had making this movie and it shines through in their performances. A must have every year!
October 30, 2016
Great kids film, loved this as a child. Midler, Parker and Najimy are a great trio as the witches.
October 28, 2016
20+ years later & it's still my favorite Halloween Movie.
October 28, 2016
A gem for those who grew up with this oddly comical movie.
October 25, 2016
Family friendly Halloween movie complete with children heroes and a great cat. It's shallow, but very fun!