Gypsy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gypsy Reviews

½ September 23, 2009
Midler and Wood were amazing in this movie
August 20, 2009
Have and Eggroll, Mr Goldstone!
½ August 10, 2009
It's a shame that Arthur Laurents is the most despicable person alive because he's one of the best bookwriters to ever live. It is impossible not to become enthralled by this story and its characters, no matter how many times you may see it and no matter how many problems a particular production may have. This production isn't perfect but there's still a lot to admire. The script and score are perfect, this made for TV flick looks terrific, and there's often great performances going on. However, the editing is a disaster and you get the feeling that every shot was filmed an hour from the previous shot: the shots just don't connect. But, this is the more faithful film adaptation and the film, like the show it's based on, moves from entertaining to heartwrenching.
August 4, 2009
Love Bette Midler in this one- she is the perfect stage mom! Her performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" is one of the best in my opinion.
June 30, 2009
This film is almost perfectly faithful to the musical. Unfortunately Bette Midler is just a bit too comical in her role as Mama Rose.
June 5, 2009
Well, they tried! The 1993 TV movie version of the famous stage musical Gypsy is not without its high points. First and foremost, it's remarkably faithful to Arthur Laurents' original book and that's a huge plus. And...well,'s better than the 1962 film. The pace is a lot better than the original film version and it kept me entertained if maybe for all the wrong reasons. Bette Midler is very talented, but her Rose is so over the top that it becomes comical, even when it's supposed to be serious. Sure, she can sing the role and she's more Rose than Roz Russel was, but she's just too much. The supporting cast is pretty good, but Cynthia Gibb is no Natalie Wood, although she still puts in a pretty good performance. Peter Riegert is also good as Herbie, the whipped love interest for Rose. The musical numbers have a good amount more pizazz than the '62 version and Emile Ardolino knows how to make them work on film. However, this movie just reeks with TV movie fever. Some of the sets are kinda cheap looking and the movie just doesn't feel very cinematic, but at least it does keep one entertained.

It's not a big step up from the '62 film, but any improvement is better than nothing. It's worth a rental.
April 30, 2009
I think I was entertained by it in high school, but I'm hard pressed to remember any scenes (other than vaguely recalling a musical number or two...)
April 2, 2009
Much better than the original Midler was clearly born for the part of Mama Rose and gives everything she has to the role. Everyone else is also good and the song and dance numbers are polished.
½ March 28, 2009
Natalie Wood. One of the classics.
February 7, 2009
This is so much better than the 1962 original. Even though the length of the film is the same, this version seems slicker and better paced.
January 8, 2009
Bette, Patti LuPone and Betty Buckley are my favorite Gypsies... I've seen four and studied all the soundtracks. Ms. Midler balances the character perfectly.
November 29, 2008
Bette Midler is my favorite Rose out of the two I've seen. She's disturbingly intrusive because that's who she is as a person and coincidentally that's who Rose is too. When she sings Rose's Turn it's actually kind of revelatory because she's so...vulnerable for a second. I know this is just a TV movie but I really, really enjoy it. The singing is a thousand times better. But in general this script and music and lyrics are just really, really good no matter who's in it. Even though the ending is too 1950s Hollywood...yick. Give me manic breakdown anyday.
½ September 1, 2008
THIS is how you do a Gypsy movie. Sure its a TV movie, so the production values are a tad low, but a good Rose truly makes a good Gypsy-and Bette Middler is a PHENOMENAL Rose. Her final musical number is a stick of dynamite. Here she is boys, indeed.
August 25, 2008
Dear Bette Midler,

I love you, I really do, but your Mama Rose is atrocious. How anyone ever let this happen is beyond me. I fully understand that you're primarily a singer, but even that part of your performance is seriously lacking. I mean - you take breaths in the middle of phrases! Why didn't someone tell you to wait until the end of the sentence? I am surprised that there was anything left for us to look at after you chewed threw all the scenery. My deepest apologies, Ms. Midler, but give me the Merm, Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, Bernadette Peters, or Patti LuPone any day over this forced, exhausting, and altogether SCARY (and not in the good way) performance.

Love and kisses,
August 10, 2008
supierior to the natilie wood version and is just so good. i could wtch it over and over
July 31, 2008
not as good as Rosalind Russel/Natalie Wood version
½ July 22, 2008
I still like the older one better, but I LOVE Peter Riegert. He was PERFECT in his roll. man... he should be in more movies.
½ July 18, 2008
Bette as Mama Rose...fantastic
June 7, 2008
Absolutely not interested
½ June 3, 2008
One of my fave musicals, as well as one of my fave Bette movies!