Much Ado About Nothing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Much Ado About Nothing Reviews

March 29, 2014
Directed by Kenneth Branagh, who had made a name for himself with adapting Shakespeare's Henry V (1989), then he went off to Hollywood to do Dead Again (1991), then returned to England to make the nostalgic Peter's Friends (1992). Here he returned to Shakespeare, adapting his 1598 play, and making it a sunny, cheerful and funny adaptation. At the country estate of Messina, owned by Leonato (Richard Briers). Prince Don Pedro (Denzel Washington), along with Benedick (Branagh) and his brother Claudio (Robert Sean Leonard) come to visit after quashing an uprising led by Don Pedro's half-brother Don John (Keanu Reeves). Claudio has strong feelings for Leonato's daughter Hero (Kate Beckinsale), and Don Pedro arranges a party for them. Benedick has strong feelings for Leonato's niece Beatrice (Emma Thompson), but she proves to be a hard woman to get. But, Don John turns up to ruin everything, but local constable Dogberry (Michael Keaton) is determined to stop Don John. It has a massive all star cast, all set against the back drop of Tuscany. It has some good set pieces, and a lot of misunderstandings with some brilliant performances thrown in. Branagh succeeds here at making Shakespeare look trendy and cool, long before Baz Luhrmann did it with Romeo + Juliet (1996).
March 28, 2014
Now they've got Keanu doing SHAKESPEARE?! Still, I guess they've got him playing a character who is 'not of many words'. This one's not bad.
½ February 26, 2014
Very fun film, with some stunning cinematography. I like the charm this film has, balancing it very well and not seeming campy or dated in any way. Keanu Reeves should have a bigger role but he acted the part well with a finer rogue never seen.
½ February 23, 2014
Watched: 23 Feb 2014
½ February 7, 2014
Well-acted, but over-the-top like a play would be. Could have done without the nudity at the beginning. The extreme energy of the extras was a little excessive. Form: +2.5; morals: 0.
½ December 27, 2013
The movie is all around a good time and the characters are displayed very accurately in this!
December 18, 2013
Well, I have to hand it to Kenneth Branagh (My Week with Marilyn) - he knows how to deliver an entertaining picture. It's particularly impressive that this entertaining feature is an adaptation of William Shakespeare's play - with the original dialogue. As if directing this entertaining flick wasn't enough, he and Emma Thompson (Beautiful Creatures) are wonderful as the zealously opposed to one another couple. They really carry the film, but they're surrounded by the likes of Denzel Washington (Safe House), Kate Beckinsale (Total Recall), Robert Sean Leonard ("House"), and Michael Keaton (The Other Guys), who pull off their roles with gusto while Imelda Staunton (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I), Brian Blessed (Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace), Keanu Reeves (The Day the Earth Stood Still), and others are more or less relegated to the background. Still, it's quite funny, touching, and everything that a great adaptation of Shakespeare should be. Plus, the actors are so young! Where have the years gone?
December 7, 2013
I LOVE this film. I swear, any Shakespeare film with Kenneth Branagh is almost garunteed to be fantastic. Emma Thompson is ALWAYS amazing and just... this film was a riot and so perfect. I have NO complaints whatsoever
½ November 11, 2013
Probably the only reason this adaptation worked is because of the amazing acting from Branagh and Thompson. With many of the Shakespeare adaptations the actors seem to try too hard to sound formal and still get the lines out. Branagh and Thompson on the other hand it just sounds like it rolls of the tongue and is beautiful sound to the ears. The whole adaptation itself is probably the best adapted Shakespeare play because it seems to know exactly how to present itself.
October 15, 2013
One of my all time favorites. Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson have fantastic chemistry. It's funny, sexy, a great romance, and absolutely beautiful. A must have!
October 8, 2013
Branagh and Thompson were great together. This movie is a good adaptation of Shakespeare's play.
October 7, 2013
Watched this again yesterday. Shakespeare the way it should be done.
September 28, 2013
Great performances by the entire cast! Wonderful costumes & gorgeous locations too. By far my favorite version & I've seen it more times than I can remember over the years.
September 19, 2013
Ahhhh happy memories of watching this as a teenager - mostly for Robert Sean Leonard but its a great wee film
September 8, 2013
It's been 20 years since I last watched Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. It's still as fabulously funny. Branagh as Benedick is amazing and everyone needs to seen the hilarious turn from Michael Keaton. Here is Shakespeare at its most accessible to all.
½ September 1, 2013
Forse, il migiliore adattamento shakespeariano di K. Branagh.
July 29, 2013
It just doesn't get anymore infectiously jubilant than this.
July 24, 2013
an absolute delight!
½ July 22, 2013
It reminded me of a Diane Keaton movie.
July 10, 2013
I am reviewing this because , in my opinion, it is Shakespearian perfection. I can (and have) watched it again and again over the years. Guaranteed to make a Shakespeare lover out of anyone. And the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. Be patient when first watching, it is amazing how the brain eventually adjusts to the difference in syntax. By the end, you forget it's Shakespearian prose.