Cimarron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cimarron Reviews

April 11, 2016
Thinking as I have, upon seeing the two versions (on consecutive days) depicting the fourth (from April 22, 1889) of the five Oklahoma land rushes, I have to reconsider my initial impression that the 1931 film was marginally better than this, Mann's 1960 version. I realize I'm not a member of the Glenn Ford Fan Club by any stretch of the imagination, but his co-stars are WAY better, and in Anthony Mann, you find a master of both the Western and the epic format (his later 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' is one of my favourite films from the 60's).

A jar of beeswax could have out-acted Richard Dix's performance in the original (it's a dirty rotten shame HE even got nominated for Best Actor, in a year when MANY outstanding actors were overshadowed, not being so honoured), but I have to admit Ford was good, even if IMHO he didn't deserve the honour of being front-and-center of a 2 1/2 hour epic, and you can't beat what Maria Schell, Anne Baxter, Harry Morgan and Vic Morrow--just to name a select few--brought to the picture.

Some scenes in the 1931 original still work better, but overall I believe this is one case in which the remake is better than the original. I further would insist that had Mann not been fired and replaced by Charles Walters, it would have been a minor masterpiece.
April 11, 2016

November 22, 2015
The kind of movie you fall asleep to on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing much to hold the interest.
November 16, 2015
OK remake western but i prefer the 1931 pre0code version best
½ November 4, 2014
The original movie, made in 1930, won the Best Picture Oscar in 1931, and even though that movie is the lowest-rated Best Picture winner, I thought I'd watch the 1960 remake as a substitute.

Turns out there's a reason why the original has such a low rating...

Epic in its historic time span but mostly dull and badly done. Covers 25 years, from the first western settlement of Oklahoma in 1889 until the start of World War 1 in 1914.

The historical aspect - the settlement of Oklahoma and its subsequent development - is interesting, but this has a small part in the movie. The main part - the Cravat family - is kind of so-so. The father, played by Glenn Ford, has good intentions but seems incredibly naive. The mother, played by Maria Schell, whines a lot and seems quite bigoted, yet is portrayed as a hero at the end.

The whole thing just seems clumsy. Acting is quite hammy. Worst offenders are the guys who played the two gangsters who hid out in the school. Ridiculously over-the-top performances.

Best performance comes from Anne Baxter, as Dixie. Convincing, and easy on the eyes...

This said, it has its moments, so isn't all bad.
October 29, 2013
A true masterpiece from start to finish. I enjoyed every single moment!!!!
December 26, 2011
An engaging epic. mostly due to Mann's direction and Glenn Ford's performance. It's looses steam toward the end but the 2.5 hours don't really drag.
½ September 17, 2010
Better than the original but too long and a little boring.
½ January 14, 2010
Better than the original but too long and a little boring
January 13, 2010
Lavish remake of the Oscar winning classic, but it just can't recapture what made the original work so well. Glenn Ford is fine, but Maria Schell just is too bland for such an important role. Decent supporting cast, the art direction is quite good.
jjnxn
June 7, 2009
Sprawling, epic but overlong western much changed from the excellent novel and not for the better. Sabra, the lead character, was in the book a naive but resourceful woman who became through necessity a tower of strength and who was understanding and willing to lose whatever prejudices she had quickly while forging a life for herself and her children in the wilds of Oklahoma since Yancy, her husband was a born wanderer and would disappear for years at a time. In the movie she's a bigoted simpering harpy. That was her daughter Donna, who is completely missing from the film, in the book apparently they grafted those qualities on to her for the movie. A shame to ruin a great character that way. However the movie does have a good cast and beautiful photograpy, the land rush is very impressive, overall though a disappointment.
January 19, 2009
This was a good-ish film at a time when it would have been hard to make an epic like this was. Hard to rate it when you can only compare to later films. I'm sure it was great at the time.
December 30, 2008
awesome western! although with some uncoincidences, mostly on the aging of some characters, the film is still marvelous, and depicts really well the struggle of the pioneers searching for a new life in their new given away lands.
½ September 30, 2008
Its a damn shame that i missed the beginning of this movie, the great Oklahoma land rush, for what i have seen the movie was really superb and fantastic directing.
½ September 22, 2008
The land rush sequence is more goofy then the first, but this remake is superior in every other way.
½ September 10, 2008
Entre 1952 y 1958, Mann realiza cuatro obras maestras (westerns todas ellas: Colorado Jim, Tierras lejanas, El hombre de Laramie y El hombre del oeste) y Horizontes Lejanos, que se queda a un pasito de las anteriores. ¿Porque Cimarron, una obra de madurez de un director , ya no solvente en el género, sino autor no superado en muchos ambitos de las peliculas del oeste, no funciona?. En mi opinion, tres son las causas fundamentales por las que Cimarron es una pelicula fallida, si bien es cierto que, aun asi, contiene momentos de gran cine. En primer lugar, no nos encontramos aqui con el guion de hierro de que si dispuso Mann en El hombre de Laramie o en El hombre del oeste, en algunos momentos la historia discurre por senderos de escasa intensidad emocional (como la visita a Washington); los personajes secundarios carecen de profundidad y aparecen y desaparecen en la historia sin dejar huella en un espectador que se olvida de ellos enseguida. En segundo lugar, el conflicto moral alrededor del cual se construye toda la pelicula, esto es, el desasosiego que experimentan los dos protagonistas al ser incapaces de resolver los choques frontales y continuos entre los principios eticos del uno (Glenn Ford) y la otra (Maria Schell), no son transmitidos al espectador, que no duda en ponerse del lado de Cimarron desde el primer momento. De este modo, se ve imposibilitado de empalizar, a lo largo de la pelicula, con la evolucion traumatica de los personajes. Sin embargo, lo que lastra definitivamente el último western de Anthony Mann, es un elemento utilizado con maestria por el mejor cine clasico y que esta solo al alcance de los mas grandes: la construccion del pasado de los personajes sin flash-backs ni referencias concretas a aquel. El John Wayne de Ford o el James Stewart del propio Mann transmiten la carga del peso de su pasado con tan solo una mirada, sin verbalizarlo, mientras que el pasado de Cimarron, que debe ser clave para entender su conducta no llega con claridad al espectador.
June 5, 2008
Another TCM staple. Glenn Ford is great, as usual. The thing I like about it is the will-he, won't-he narrative about Yancey - I won't spoil the ending, but there's a strange kind of modernity about it.
½ April 8, 2008
A bit slow toward the end, but it's so well-made it doesn't even matter. Glenn Ford kicked serious ass.
½ December 6, 2007
The problem with this epic western is that the narrative doesn't warrent an epic tale. Long and dull it has value but is not a great example of the genre.