Shadowlands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadowlands Reviews

November 6, 2016
A fantastic look at the later years of CS Lewis and his romantic encounter with a fellow writer and kindred spirit. An intriguing part of history that would be missed if overlooked. Beautifully told through the direction, acting, and cinematography.
July 4, 2016
Hopkins, Winger, and Attenborough was always going to be a winning combination. Chuck in a true story and it couldn't fail.
January 31, 2016
Love C.S. Lewis, love this movie!
August 11, 2015
Very Moving Performance
½ June 26, 2015
Hopkins is always great and he was pretty much the most interesting thing about the movie. He was nominated for The Remains of the Day the same year but I would have found this more worthy for a nomination for him. Debra Winger is good too but overall it's just long and boring and uninteresting
½ May 26, 2015
A moving and different look at the life of C.S. Lewis.
February 11, 2015
Hands down, my favorite movie of all time. Great storyline, good history, good character, good thoughts, wonderful writing, I was with it from beginning to end.
½ December 30, 2014
The film is very very slow moving but all the performances especially Hopkins and young Mazzello are true and fantastic! A great journey of love and what truly makes us happy.
½ December 28, 2014
Love stories don't get better than that. Anthony Hopkins and Debra winger are amazing and they make alive the beautiful love story between cs.Lewis and joy Gresham..Richard Attenborough realization is great at capturing and conveying the beauty of this love story and presenting it to us perfectly.Without any exaggerated cheesiness and tricks love story films most of the time relied on. Shadowlands is probably one of the 10 best love story of the 90's.
October 23, 2014
This film has everything, a very beautiful and moving script by William Nicholson, brilliant direction by Lord Richard Attenborough and absolutely spectacular performances by both Debra Winger and Sir Anthony Hopkins.
September 13, 2014
I have been trying to find this movie to rent or buy. I was enthralled by it when it came our years ago. Hopkins and Winger are a wonderful match in this sweet, sad romance.
March 17, 2014
Hopkins gives us a wonderful portrait of a believer who is forced to confront his faith when a partner becomes terminally ill.
February 17, 2014
not as good as the PBS story which is more accurate about Lewis' life
½ October 14, 2013
Loved this movie. It had me in tears. I had to focus on Sir Hopkins, expecting to turn into Hannibal Lecter at any moment...but after several minutes, I sort of forgot about Lecter. Debra Winger is awesome in this movie.
September 19, 2013
Makes me cry every time. Love it
½ August 19, 2013
It's impossible to find on dvd, but the impression it left was decidedly favourable. It doesn't hurt that it's about my favourite author.
July 14, 2013
This film had so much potential. C. S. Lewis' life and works were and are so rich with wisdom and experience. Ultimately, I'm not only greatly underwhelmed with the plodding pace and drabness of the direction: I'm disappointed and flat-out confused with the decision of Debra Winger to play Joy. Lord knows I'm not a casting director, but I most certainly could have done a better job than this film's. Someone like Sally Field, or even Holly Hunter; Someone with actual, mature acting chops to justifiably compliment Hopkins' incredible performing.
July 6, 2013
One of the best films ever with Anthony Hopkins. Exceptional acting and dialogue throughout this film. LOVE this movie. My all time favorite.
½ May 16, 2013
Fabulous! One of those movies that gets under your skin while not being afraid to challenge thoughts and feelings about life, love and death - loved the fact that it featured some of my favourite C S Lewis quotes (and Anthony Hopkins gave a stella performance! As a Christian myself I was deeply touched by this movie and found my faith strengthened - better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? A question we all have to answer for ourselves as did C S Lewis- Nothing not to like - highly recommended :)
May 9, 2013
Writer CS Lewis (Anthony Hopkins) has his predicatable life interrupted by an unexpected friendship with American writer Joy Gresham (Debra Winger) that blooms into a powerful love. Terrific acting and a memorable examination of the ways grief and sorrow are linked to happiness.