Shadowlands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadowlands Reviews

April 20, 2013
C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors. His story is quite interesting, especially this part--falling in love late in life. Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger are brilliant in their roles.
½ April 13, 2013
First part of movie is pedestrian but bearable. Second half is just one weepy "I don't want to lose you!" death scene after another. I was thinking "die already!!!"
March 25, 2013
Anthony Hopkins gives a brilliant portrayal of author C.S. Lewis, in this great bio of the life of the genius who wrote "Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe."
½ February 7, 2013
Slow moving tear-jerker, but still good.
November 26, 2012
An incredibly powerful film about true love.
November 26, 2012
A touching and moving account of Narnia author and Oxford professor C.S. Lewis's romance with American poet and fan, Joy Gresham which takes a dark turn when Joy is diagnosed with cancer. Hopkins at his very best.
½ November 26, 2012
Poetico e romantico dramma di Attenborough; vanta di una fotografia da Oscar, ricca di sfumature colorate e ombreggiature allo stato dell'arte, magnificamente confacenti nel mettere in risalto gli splendidi particolari dei pittoreschi ed ammalianti paesaggi inglesi, grazie anche ad un gioco di luci ardente e penetrante, e una colonna sonora leggera ma armoniosa. Le interpretazioni raffinate impregnano delicatamente la lenta e melodrammatica struttura narrativa; ne fanno da protagonisti da un Anthony Hopkins un pò dandy, ma molto espressivo, e una bravissima e struggente Debra Winger (che in un ruolo simile, aveva già fatto versare fiumi di lacrime nel tristissimo ma memorabile "Terms of Endearment"). Dignitosissime anche le performance dei ruoli comprimari, impersonati da un ancora giovanissimo Joseph Mazzello, e da Edward Hardwicke, nella parte del fratello dello scrittore di successo Jack Lewis.
½ November 12, 2012
"Shadowlands" suffers from being boring at times, but it's well-acted and very beautiful at times. CS Lewis is fascinating, and this movie shows it.
November 4, 2012
CS Lewis - ' I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I am helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, Waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God. It changes me! ' The right attitude towards praying enunciated by Mr CS Lewis. Tremendous stuff!
October 24, 2012
A wonderfully cast production, Hopkins and Winger truly shine in this poignant and moving film. One disclaimer - tissues will be required. If you're not comfortable crying in public, I'd advise you watch this alone.
½ October 21, 2012
boring boring boring boring boring.
September 2, 2012
Great direction by Attenborough.
½ June 12, 2012
Very good. Excellent date movie.

It would help to be familiar with "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" from "The Chronicles of Narnia" series by C.S. Lewis before seeing this film. Fortunately, it's been made into a movie in the meantime, so you don't have to do any actual reading. Of course, whether it's worth seeing that film in order to fully understand this film is up to you. It'd make an interesting double feature.

I should also note that while C.S. Lewis' work is Christian-themed, this movie based on actual events is not; in fact, it takes a few well-deserved shots at the vapidity of his writing.
½ June 2, 2012
Saw this last night and found it to be most moving, as well as being snobby and very conservative.
But hey it's about the private life of the great fantasy writer C.S Lewis in his older years played brilliantly by Hopkins, a great Welsh actor (not British).
Full of intellectual dullards, total stiffs man, yet this is a film I recommend highly to get a glimpse of England in straighter times, and one could say purer times too.
The nobility of this country have always puzzled me, they carry so much weight, yet what magic they can create for all, especially for children in the Narnia chronicles.
Excellent film, well done Dickie (Attenborough, Director)
Time for something looser next methinks
May 26, 2012
There is something pleasing to the heart and mind in "Shadowloands". Hopkins gives a heart warming portrayal as C. S. Lewis.
April 26, 2012
A masterpiece. One of the best romances ever made, IMHO
April 5, 2012
The unlikely love story of C.S.Lewis and the American woman who he eventually marries but dies before him. Sad but sweet.
March 22, 2012
This movie was exellent! Anthony Hopkins blew me away in this absolubley phenomenal performance in human history! An incredible love story and beautiful movie! Great acting from Anthony Hopkins and Debra Wing Brilliant!!!! :)
½ January 22, 2012
Good drama, the true story of the relationship between author CS Lewis and Joy Gresham. Moving and thought-provoking. A bit too drawn out though.

Good performances from Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger in the lead roles.