Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Reviews

December 9, 2017
This is a true classic, nay it was a revolution, a revolution similar to such landmarks as 'The Birsth of a Nation', 'Cabinet of Dr. Caligari' and such. The animation changed irrevocably after this picture saw the light. I'm convinced every child should start his/her journey into the world of cinema from this marvelous masterpiece.
½ November 13, 2017
Beautiful to see but its too short
November 5, 2017
This movie is just a snooze fest. Another trick made to cater to marketable
little girls.
October 2, 2017
DIsney's ultimate classic. Still not surpassed.
½ September 9, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Un ícono del cine de animación. Con enigmáticos personajes y entrañable historia.
September 6, 2017
Snow White gets most of its renown simply for being so stunningly groundbreaking...and it totally deserves every accolade it gets for that, and so much more. Everything this company has done is because of this movie, and the timelessness of all these classics is shocking. The dwarfs are great, the detail is gorgeous, the old witch is super creepy, and I ADORE the surrealist nightmare-like visuals in the forest. Even if it isn't the best of Disney, it's certainly up there...and arguably their most important.
September 2, 2017
Disney's 1st movie that is a classic I like the singing of I'm wishing, one song both where great songs my favorite character was Grumpy he all ways was not happy but then he got better then he becomes happy.
September 1, 2017
I think the film is not that good by today's standards but its legacy and past success make it worth seeing.
August 22, 2017
Back before Disney Animation Studios was creating offensive Jewish wolfs and propaganda against Germany, their first major picture was a commendable achievement in cinematic animation history. Because it was the first, set standards, and raked in that good good money.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves officially marks the first instance in which the overtly cartoonish style they were known for in shorts became mixed with more realistic models that seemed to move and act on an entirely different plane. That is to say they did. They were animated apart from the other subjects and painted onto different cels, and it holds up as well as Dopey and Sneezy in a trenchcoat. This creates my biggest gripe with Disney's feature films, being an inconsistant artstyle that only creates visual turmoil onscreen. This is where it began, and since this was the start of many successful films following it, this is why it mostly didn't stop.

The first wave feminist angle has done this movie in easily, but an angle that I'm not sure has been realized as well is the religious one. It's barely there but it does come out in the writing, and creates an entirely different perspective on why this film isn't something I would want to show my hypothetical daughters.

Only one small scene shows it. After the dwarves fight over a pillow downstairs, Snow White is seen and heard praying upstairs to the night sky (this was before the star). She feels "blessed" for the kindness of the dwarves and "prays" for the realization of her romantic wishes, "amen". The dialogue is probably written without a thought in mind as popular America was and is overtly Christian.

What follows right after is the temptation of the apple. What occurred before was a princess basically mothering a bunch of old men in a polite and proper fashion, undertaking the tasks of a housewife and being an all around flawless kind girl. Snow White is written as the perfect Madonna, and the minute she gives into a bit of her own desire, elements of the Eve story are impossible to ignore.

It is only her remaining beauty (two seasons of avoiding decay and somehow not losing the blush in her cheeks after her blood congeals and her pulse stops) that saves her in the end and allows her wishes to be granted. Of course her actions beforehand were accompaniment to her beauty, and it acts as the other male characters' memory of her, but in a story of competition between two women on how good they look it's obvious that the simple fairy tale just doesn't translate well when given Christian overtones. The original fairy tale has stronger comparisons to Roman mythology and the tale of Mercury, Apollo, and Chione.

Especially now when Disney (both man and studio)'s faults have been mostly realized, they only succeed in making the film more uncomfortable and bumpy to watch. The relationship of Snow White and the dwarves teeters on motherly love and their own attractions, Grumpy's sexism is extremely off putting and only serves to strengthen the film's own messages of a Madonna/Eve duality, and the "slave" in the magic mirror is modeled with common (though subtle) cartoon facial tropes of black men.

The main factors that have aged well are the senses of extremities in emotion during those scenes dedicated to it. Snow White surrounded by terrifying green eyes in the forest is fantastic emphasis on the realization of her murderous stepmother, the Queen's spell brewing and transformation sequences create great atmosphere, and even a couple of the dwarves' scenes devoted to padding are effective like the silly song or Snow White's story of romance. The rest of the padding is unfortunately quite sleep inducing (a VERY bad thing for this film especially), and it takes up dozens of minutes. This is a half-hour film stretched out to feature length.

The songs, now that I think about it, are quite underwhelming. It's only because they've existed for about a hundred years that we all remember them. And since Disney has had so much practice with animating charming things and making a happy atmosphere, those types of scenes come and go without much impact anymore.

Snow White is emotionally sound and an impressive start to cinematic animation. The thematics are far too simplistic for us to really get into, and a bit too flawed and outdated for kids nowadays. It's a classic that is easy to praise, but only to a certain point. Although no other major ones exist, this adaptation of the German fairy tale certainly isn't fairest in the land.
August 3, 2017
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ August 3, 2017
It's the first one, the game changer, Snow White is the must-see classic where it comes to old animated movies. Amazing characters and a super entertaining, beautiful and pleasant tale that will always by one of the best in the Walt Disney Company!

|It's an 8,9 out of 10|
½ August 2, 2017
Just because it's a classic, doesn't mean it's good, great example, this movie
July 16, 2017
Now this movie was the first Disney movie ever made and it is a good fairytale to watch and the songs where great! I love this movie!
July 16, 2017
Disney - making Americans afraid of healthy food since 1937. In all seriousness, this movie is a great showcase of the studio's technical capabilities, even if the story is more of an afterthought.
June 29, 2017
Everything about Snow White is brilliant and nostalgic. One of my favorite things in this film is the audio track. The primitive technology of the time really shines thru in it's audio, but it's all great when listening to it. The animation is top notch even to this day. PIXAR does amazing work, but to watch all this hand-drawn animation is breath-taking. This film was ground-breaking and ushered our world into the world of animation.
½ June 26, 2017
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs is a good start for animated movies with good songs, memorable characters and impressive animated set pieces.
June 24, 2017
Beautiful and lovely in every way. The colors and the animation for this movie were beyond amazing, given that it was made in 1937 - absolutely astonishing! The story was so good even though there were a few fairy tale cliches but very inventive.

It was so charming. I'll definitely be watching it again.
June 7, 2017
A masterpiece in the line of Disney animation
May 27, 2017
Nothing short of pure perfection.
May 7, 2017
The story doesn't have that much substance and the main character and her love interest are admittedly bland and arguably useless, but the songs are all a bunch of catchy earworms, the animation is way ahead of its time (especially by 1930s standards), the villain is pretty intimidating and badass, and the side characters are all lovable and memorable. A solid start for feature-length Disney animation and one of cinema history's biggest landmarks.