Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gold Reviews

½ January 25, 2015
ok movie but the DVD copy was horrible
½ July 5, 2014
Do not watch this movie I'm serious bad acting and a nakid guy.
I need to go burn my eyes
Jim P.
June 3, 2014
Gold starring Roger Moore and Susannah York had me interested at the start, as it began with a disaster in the gold mine and several miners dying. However it began to slow down as they introduced the main characters in the movie, and other than Roger Moore none were overly familiar to me. The mine owner was played by Ray Milland, popular 20 years earlier (1950's). The major female actress, was played by Susannah York, who I never heard of or recall seeing in anything else. Her acting I thought was subpar, she wasn't all that bad to look at which helped her out. She was all looks to me. The problem was the movie began to remind me of a James Bond imitation as Roger Moore seduced, and married, Susannah York.

The middle dragged as the plot now turned to how Roger Moore was going to be framed for destroying the mine along with Rogers flurting/affair with Susannah York. I guess this was necessary or else the movie had no where else to go, since the only thing left was the mine and your not going to get a full length movie out of that.

If your a Roger Moore fan, you'll enjoy this movie, for everyone one else, hang on through a little time filler in the middle section and you will enjoy the action packed ending.

The script was typical for a 1970's film, disaster/action genre with lots of early explosions and a nail bitter ending. The acting was ok, no acadamy award winners from this one, but over all good enough to keep watching. The special effects were done well considering this was made in 1974 and the costumes/dress fit the movie. I thought the casting was good, everyone seemed to look/fit the role they had.

I like happy endings, and this movie did not disappoint me there. If you want to relax, enjoy a little bit of action, romance and vintage Roger Moore, this film will deliver. 9/22/13
August 6, 2013
Directed by Peter R. Hunt (On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) and Gulliver's Travels (1977)), this thriller was adapted from the 1970 novel Gold Mine by Rhodesian author Wilbur Smith. It's a film which goes out with all the best intentions, but it is rather dated now as it attempts to make Apartheid-era South Africa look like a glamourous place to visit, which back then, it certainly wasn't. Rod Slater (Roger Moore) is the General Manager of a gold mine in Sonderditch, South Africa. Slater is very concerned about the safety of his workers, even if the company who own the mine have been cutting corners with safety, but he is instructed by his boss Steyner (Bradford Dillman), to break through an underground dyke to where, Steyner believes, is a rich source of gold. While Steyner is out of the country, Slater begins an affair with Steyner's wife Terry (Susannah York). But Steyner knows about the affair, but he's using this as part of a plan to destroy the mine, masterminded by a London-based criminal syndicate. It's a film which does tie itself in knots at one point with it's complicated plot, and it showed a more rugged side to Moore, who had not long become James Bond at that time. But, it does have a suspenseful finale down the mine, which is worth it, but it's a long slog before the film comes to it, but it does have a good cast as well.
January 7, 2013
Was really anxious to see this film, as it is loaded with talent from the James Bond franchise (mostly offscreen talent). There are numerous memorable sequences, like with Bond, and some plot issues that are questionable. I never once saw Roger Moore's character as Bond, he really plays quite a different character. Peter Hunt and John Glen bring their fast-paced, thrilling style and deliver the entertainment. Though, there are a few scenes that seemed a bit too much and took me out of the story. The visuals are, well, in a gold color scheme, which isn't all that terribly pleasing to the eye. Fascinating and entertaining, but not as lasting as Bond.
August 10, 2010
I enjoyed this film, I admit at some times it was hard to get into but Roger Moore is terrific.
½ October 5, 2009
The political/moral implications of shooting a film in South Africa apartheid aside, Gold is a very well designed suspense film. Hunt shows his usual talent in editing and the all cast is solid. Nice forgotten film.
November 30, 2008
Sir Roger Moore not only swears but also smokes but also swears in this film. He gets the girl of course. This film is so eighties it is hilarious. Lots of fill and some truely terrible dialogue make this a must see. Not as good as the Man Who Haunted Himself.
½ November 2, 2008
If Sir Roger Moore had starred in 'Diamonds Are Forever', we would have 'Gold'. Fantastic action and political movie about the gold-mining industry and its capitalistic effects on the world markets. This is actually better than 'Blood Diamond' and what it tried to do! Great film and pacing. Sir John Gielgud plays an evil gold businessman who does not mind if many miners die, as long as the price of gold can be kept at a premium. Great film! My only complaint is that the mastering of the film is just god awful, there are actual parts in the film that look like an old projection reel. This is in dire need to be remastered on a big screen.
½ October 13, 2008
Moore turns in a good performance in this thriller with more than a touch of action. (To be expected from former Bond 2nd unit director Hunt.)
July 26, 2008
Vraiment bizarre. Assez, en tout cas, pour devenir interessant.
½ June 15, 2008
Fairly good action–drama with Moore, after his first outing as James Bond, playing a gold mine general manager whose promotion is partly to make him a scapegoat to a collapse. Great use of South African locations, York is beautiful here, and there’s solid direction from Hunt.
½ March 20, 2008
One of the attractions of this is seeing a mainstream movie set in apartheid South Africa, not that it bears much on the plot which is average like the film.
March 6, 2008
This film was poorly made and not interesting in the least. I turned it off after 15 minutes.
April 27, 2006
Too long, and a lot of it is trashy, but there are some moments of good suspense.
September 12, 2005