The Last Man on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Man on Earth Reviews

½ August 29, 2014
While the film's story and concept is no doubt interesting with lots of good drama and twists, it's Vincent Price's charisma that for the most part carries this movie of otherwise lackluster performances and "monsters" that are not really imposing at all, meaning that many of the film's best and most atmospheric captivating moments are the ones where Price is by himself - really all you'd need to do is put him in front of the camera and let him act, and the movie would practically sell itself.
July 8, 2014
Author Richard Matheson was unhappy with the script based on his 1954 novel 'I Am Legend', despite working on it himself under the screen credit of Logan Swanson. It's not difficult to see why. The film is an all too casually paced end of civilisation pic starring a miscast Vincent Price as Robert Morgan, the sole survivor of a mysterious disease that's infected the global population.

Despite capturing the isolation of our protagonist's situation well, heightened by Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter's excellent score, the film lacks tension as Morgan battles vampiric zombies and the lengthy flashback sequence doesn't achieve what it sets out to do - we simply don't care for these characters. This US/Italian co-production wasn't a box office success at the time of release, but has achieved a loyal following since. It influenced George A. Romero's classic 'Night of the Living Dead' (1968) and was remade in 1971 as 'The Omega Man' and as 'I Am Legend' in 2007.
July 5, 2014
A million times better than the pos Will Smith made as I Am Legend. At least this stuck to the book!
April 14, 2014
An aging Vincent Price takes the lead in this early interpretation of Richard Matheson's dystopian source material, recently mined by Will Smith in I Am Legend. It's a dark, troubling picture that's far more bleak and unflinching than its contemporaries. I don't consider the '60s to be a terribly fertile period for such eerie, subdued science fiction / horror mashups, but despite a few off-putting slips this holds up admirably. Price is miscast in the lead, awkwardly overplaying the emotionless, hollow aspects of the central character, even in flashbacks where it's completely inappropriate. He feels out of place as a doting, caring father - often speaking around his daughter like she isn't even in the room - and that tears away some of the natural sympathy of his plight later in the picture. The creatures that constantly plague him are effectively spooky, so long as they keep their mouths closed. A certain ambiance is lost when the shuffling human monster outside the barricaded window knows your name and encourages you to "c'mon out" in the wee hours of the morning. This was a lesson well-learned by George A. Romero, who's admitted the monsters' portrayal in this film directly influenced his beasts in the seminal Night of the Living Dead a few years later. As an exercise in world-building, this is a broad success. It's tangible, vivid and realistic. The plot flails around absurdly at times, though, and the finale is a mish-mashed mess that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A strong effort that falls puzzlingly short in a number of different ways, it's remarkable in several others.
½ March 7, 2014
Kind of a Spaghetti Zombie film based on I Am Legend starring Vincent Price and hardly anyone else. Clearly low-budget but that's not necessarily a bad thing here, apart from the blurry old video tape they apparently used. It seems unsure whether they wanted the zombies to be vampires or vice versa, but they muddled through ok. First half was pretty good, then it fizzled out a bit. 6.75/10
½ December 24, 2013
In a post-epidemic nightmare world, scientist Robert Morgan (Vincent Price) is the only man immune to the plague which has transformed the entire population of the Earth into vampire-like creatures. He becomes the monster slayer that vampire-society fears. Curing one of them, Ruth (Franca Bettoja), with a transfusion of his blood gives him hope for the future. However, the vampire-like creatures are out to get him and they wonīt stop until they have finished the job...

This is the first adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel "I Am Legend", and I reckon itīs not that bad, even if itīs obviously more of a low budget vehicle. Vincent Price manages to communicate the hopelessness of believing he is the last man on earth. What is kind of funny is how "harmless" the vampires are more or less, they donīt really feel threatening or scary. That makes the film lose a bit in that department. However, my favourite adaptation of this story is by far the Charlton Heston version "The Omega Man". That is a great movie, despite its flaws. Still, it was nice to see this version.
November 24, 2013
Classic that was rewritten as Omega man ( Charleton Heston ) , and I am Legend ( Will Smith )
½ November 24, 2013
The last Man on Earth is a reasonable film on un-dead vampires and the sole survivor. Vincent Price does well in carrying the film on his shoulders, however, there are too many plot devices that do not feel rational or purposeful except for the story's purpose. It is an interesting film for the history of the zombie genre, however, as a stand alone film, it is a hit and miss.
November 17, 2013
I saw The Omega Man. I saw I Am Legend. Now it was about time I saw the first version of the story, featuring Vincent Price.

Since The Last Man On Earth is a dated film so it's visual qualities are fairly rough, the story has to be tired together by a strong performance. Luckily, Vincent Price is the man to supply that performance which enhances the atmosphere due to his iconic voice and his talent as a leading screen actor. He manages to keep a grip on all the drama and give a strong line delivery which keeps the viewing experience stimulating, and he is surely the highlight of The Last Man On Earth. He makes the story stay interesting, even though within a timeframe of less than 90 minutes it tries to fit everything in and neglects explaining much of the importance in the latter half of the story which leaves things confusing.
But The Last Man on Earth is well scripted with a strong musical score and sense of intensity due to its visual style, even if it is dated and a very simple adaptation of the original story I Am Legend. It does explore important themes and ideas of humanity and is a strong character study of its figure Robert Neville, and what it is to be the final man on earth in such a haunting situation. It plays on Vincent Price's reputation for good horror films well and is entertaining throughout even if it could have used more money to explore its concept futher. Essentially, although The Last Man on Earth isn't as exploring of its concept as some of its later adaptations, but it's the one that's the most focused in horror and features the genial presence of Vincent Price in a fine performance.
November 7, 2013
The dubbing is distracting, and the writing is poor. Being old doesn't make it good.
½ September 22, 2013
A solid thriller that leaves you on the edge and brings you into a world where madness takes over. Vincent Price is great in this film, and the story is interesting and filled with twists and turns. The ending is great despite how gloomy it is. A few slow parts, a little uneven, but satisfactory and memorable.
August 21, 2013
A good stirring movie certainly the best adaptation and the most faithful to the book and Vincent Price is fantastic.
July 5, 2013
The Last Man on Earth is a cult-classic and the first film adaptation of Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" novel, which was about a post-epidemic world where every human was infected by a plague that made them undead vampire-like creatures. Dr. Robert Morgan, played by Vincent Price, suffers from living a redundant life of hunting vampires at day and locking himself away from them at night. Made with an evidently low budget, The Last Man on Earth is actually a very effective movie, although some awful flaws really take away from this otherwise deep character study. This is a film that not only succeeds as a somber post-apocalyptic scenario, but as a study about loneliness, even if it sometimes passes the line of ridiculous.

The Last Man on Earth has great acting by Vincent Price, even if his acting is a little awkward at times, but for the most part, he did a great job at portraying a lonely man in a frightening, somber world. The atmosphere for this world great, and the first fifteen or so minutes set it up brilliantly, using chilling shots of an empty city. However, the greatness stops there, because once night hits and these infected vampire-like creatures swarm Dr. Morgan's house, the film becomes quite ridiculous and even laughably bad. It took me out of the film considering I was gripped for the first fifteen minutes, but although these creatures are supposed to be weak and unintelligent, the way they were shown was downright bad. The nature of these creatures are also a bit confusing, as they seem more like a mix of a vampire and a zombie. Thankfully, they don't have nearly as much screen time as Vincent Price, who is really the highlighting point of this film.

However, around the middle, a series of flashbacks show how Earth ended up in this current state through the events that led up to it, and unfortunately, supporting characters are introduced and are very unevenly acted, making Vincent Price oddly seem out of place. Lots of the emotional impact that this film could've had is unfortunately lost within the supporting cast's talents, but the flashbacks are interesting enough to forgive the faults. I also oddly feel like Vincent Price's character as Robert Morgan is both deep and one-dimensional, because although many of his scenes show his emptiness and isolation effectively as a person, he doesn't have too many layers to his character. At least he's acted well, and he's probably the best thing to come out of this film. Thankfully, the atmosphere throughout the movie still feels very grim, and there's always a sense that something isn't right. The ending is also great, and confirms that this film really isn't a feel-good one. The Last Man on Earth presents some very good ideas and is well-intentioned, and for the most part, it stays as an interesting, eerie film.

It sounds like I wasn't fond of The Last Man on Earth, but in reality, I did find myself enjoying this film more times than not. It could've been a lot better, yes, and the production isn't the best, but it deserves praise because it's effective, and it works as great entertainment. It's an overall uneven success, and sometimes its a nightmarish world but at other times it borders downright ridiculous, but I'm giving this a positive review because this is recommendable as both an eerie film and great entertainment, although this was close to a negative review. It doesn't dig deep all too far in its narrative, but its an effective and convincing portrayal of a scenario like this. Whether this review makes it sound bad or not, The Last Man on Earth is still worth at least checking out, and I'm glad I didn't dismiss it.
June 17, 2013
While a cheaply done and flawed film, it however remains quite compelling if nothing more than for Price's performance alone.
½ April 29, 2013
I find Vincent Price movies great.
April 20, 2013
While my first memores of Vincent Price were of an elderly host on a TV show, his younger years were spent stringing together an impressive line of acting performances. "The Last Man on Earth" is one of those. It's zombie meets vampire at the end of Humanity. Several flashback scenes to a life that once was provide adequate nostalgia to draw the viewer in and make them care about this otherwise bleak story.

Key scenes include the burning pit to which Price takes his Vampire victims, Vincent Price trying to play it cool while being totally scared, reclined on his couch, and an end that includes an angry mob. Great flick!
April 16, 2013
Possibly the most intelligent zombie movies ever made.
April 5, 2013
Sounds Sweet for an old movie
½ March 20, 2013
i had been wanting to see this for some time, its pretty well known in the horror film circles, and its based off a well known novel, but damn this was bad, the production value is just awful, all the dialogue is badly synced and dubbed, the zombies are some of the stupidest things ive ever seen, and there are several logic lapses, i love vincent price but this is sadly one of his lesser works