The Last Man on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Man on Earth Reviews

March 19, 2013
My favorite Price film.
March 4, 2013
The Last Man on Earth falls under troubled logic, stumbling into vagueness and unreliable delivery. Vincent Price is great but his performance doesn't age well (nor does much of the stylistic elements of the film). Although, it is still thought-provoking through some angles and poses some serious questions that aren't explored too intensely.
March 2, 2013
Definitely one of Vincent Price's best movies. Acting isn't great, but it's not bad either. Somewhere in between. What with silly lines like "Come out Morgan!" and what not. Creepy vocal music, but it's hardly scary. All in all it's a good late night popcorn flick.
February 17, 2013
I love the cinematography in this, it's just so beautiful to look at in some scenes, how they're composed, the lighting. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH titles...i just want to EAT. I think this is one of Price's more non cheesy roles, i mean, he just looks badass carrying that stake! That probably IS cheesy in itself but uhh...those vampires look awfully creepy, creepier than anything i've seen vampire related recently.
½ January 27, 2013
Another great performance from Vincent Price!
January 22, 2013
Dull and badly ADRed... But a great first two minutes and an original take the other two versions didn't follow!
½ January 14, 2013
A forgotten Vincent Price movie that is the original film based on the novel I AM LEGEND. It's a pretty effective tale of horror and the apocalypse and one of Price's stronger performances.
January 14, 2013
Very much reminded me of the book I Am Legend, but the book was better as is the remake that follows the book even less. Vincent Price did a fine job and wasn't over-the-top like he usually is and was quite fun to follow. This was one of his tougher, yet better performances.
December 24, 2012
Great performance by Vincent Price wasted on an awful vampire/zombie movie? To much going on in just over 80 minutes to make you care.
December 22, 2012
The most faithful film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel "I Am Legend" but still a far cry from being as good as the novel. I probably still like "The Omega Man" best, even though it's not all that close to the original story. This was the first adaptation and was originally going to be made by Hammer Films, which probably would have resulted in a much better film. Instead you get a low budget Italian production with a somewhat miscast Vincent Price. However, there are moments throughout the film of the great film it could have been; empty highways littered with bodies, price monotonously carving wooden stakes, Price falling asleep and waking up after dark, then having to fight his way home through a swash of vampires, etc... What's most disappointing is that most of these moments all happen near the start of the film and a majority of the film feels like a cruel let down. The lengthy flashback in the middle of the film dramatizing how Price became the last man on Earth is long and painfully boring. The story then focuses on Price's search for companionship, in which the audience it sadly not all that invested in. Still, there was certainly no film like this before it and it is undeniable the influence this film had on later horror films like "Night of the Living Dead." Worth watching for horror aficionados or end-of-the-world film fans, but overall it feels like a big let down.
½ December 21, 2012
this is the first version of this later re-done as 'the omega man' and recently as 'i am legend' some consider this the best version i still prefer the charlton heston version best.
December 13, 2012
i'm going to need more garlic and mirrors whoooo haha
December 11, 2012
Home to the world's most effeminate scenes of a man limp-wristedly swinging a mallet. Seriously worth the price of admission.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ November 29, 2012
My favorite, and possibly the best adaptation, of Richard Matheson's post-apocalyptic novel "I Am Legend". Matheson even wrote the screenplay for this version under the pseudonym "Logan Swanson."

In this film version, Vincent Price gives a unusually subdued and effective performance as tortured scientist Dr. Robert Morgan (Robert Neville in the book). Morgan's psychological disposition is a significant element in the movie, and his struggles with despair imbue the character with intensity and gravitas. He is an ordinary, flawed man trying to deal with an extraordinary catastrophe. It also explores the loneliness of being by himself, excitement and hope of finding others, and disappointment over still finding himself alone.

Inspite of its low-budget, the filmmakers were able to create a very moody tone and creepy atmosphere that enhances Morgan's sense of loneliness and isolation. And the zombie-like vampires that Morgan hunts and kills by day, but must hold-up in his house from at night, may have inspired Romero's "Night of the Living Dead". A true cult classic and one of Price's best performances in a non-villainous role.
November 22, 2012
It plays out like an extended Twilight Zone episode. The tone is overwhelming, and the conclusion heart-breaking.
November 20, 2012
I can't decide if being the last man on earth would be awesome or terrifying.
November 5, 2012
A post-apocalyptic movie before post-apocalyptic movies. Not on the top of my list cause I found it slow and the vampire-zombie combo kinda weird, but it wasn't bad.
October 31, 2012
First *and best* adaptation of I Am Legend.