Sherman's March - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherman's March Reviews

April 14, 2011
One of the best and most exhilaratingly unusual documentaries I've ever seen. More fascinating "characters" than 90% of ALL movies!
½ February 15, 2011
Excellent film about director Ross McElwee setting off to make a documentary about Civil War Union General Sherman's march of destruction across the south, but never being able to stay on topic. Instead, though in the same general area of Sherman, McElwee is often distracted by women. His parents and so many others want him married and find it unusual that he has not settled down. During the film, McElwee meets many women, all of whom have interesting relationships to the director. The film shows a males nature that regardless of his intentions, he will so often become distracted by sex. There are also some very funny moments, one in particular involving Burt Reynolds. An absolute must-see, unique film, slightly too long, but nevertheless fantastic.
January 22, 2011
What I liked about this documentary was the lack of direction‚" there was just something so raw and so sincerely human about his digressions. You don't have to understand McElwee's choice in women to understand and relate to his conflicting emotions about each of them. By keeping the focus of his film as a sad but loving shrine to humanity, he just manages to skirt egotism.
½ November 4, 2010
Movie: There's nothing interesting about a middle-aged guy walking around with a camera exploiting his stupid love life. The whole Sherman thing, which covers a very brief part of the movie, is boring too. I give it a half star, just because I would hang myself if I was forced to watch this again.
½ October 19, 2010
where has this film been hiding all my life?! hilarious!
½ May 31, 2010
Kind of disjointed, much like real life. Not bad, I like the first-person perspective. The camera as an appendage of Ross McElwee is, for the most part, effective, and he doesn't spare much detail. That's where occasional boredom arises I guess, some parts are exactly like real life, and while the ultra-obnoxious Charleen tries to delineate life from artistry, I don't believe Ross sees much of any distinction (not that he doesn't understand there's a time and a place for the camera.)
½ May 23, 2010
I've eaten some shit in my time, but this one takes the shit-cake. Short of a Michael Moore film, I've never seen a "documentary" so infiltrated by the director's presence. It's basically a very long examination of a bearded southerner's sorry, sad-sack romantic life. He goes around filming prospective mates with all the subtle decorum of a John Wayne Gacey home movie. And all the while he tries to somehow awkwardly tie together his boner patrol with the ill-fated life and career of northern General William Tecumseh Sherman (stated as the original focus of this documentary). Replete with monotone, Droopy Dog voice-overs and self-conscious pre-webcam mirror shots, it's all about as engrossing as a preteen's LiveJournal. Watch it and die inside.
April 10, 2010
A brilliant documentary ostensibly about a man tracing General Sherman's swath of destruction across the south that won the civil war for the North. What it ends up being is a video journal of Ross McElwee getting hooked up or trying to hook up with a variety of southern ladies, from an aspiring model to scientist living in a small island in a lake by herself. Watching "Sherman's March" is like discovering a great novel for the first time. Though it's relatively obscure, the American Library of Congress was right to include this among their important historical works. It's every bit as personal as "Crumb" and as politically complex as Micheal Moore minus the soap box. The lines between personal, political, fiction, documentary, history, and present are blurred from the beginning, and this only continues for two hours where McElwee's personal scars mirror the blasted landscape Sherman carved, and just as equally the South's selective memory when it comes to the war. McElwee says "Sherman really loved the South. It must have been a terrible choice to make to destroy it.", and so continues to echoe a southern gothic tradition of ambivalence and nostalgia through the personal documentary medium way ahead of its time. Sherman's March" is complex, awkward, sad, sweet, and very funny, a film so rich in character it's impossible to forget.
½ February 7, 2010
Funny story of how a guy set to make a serious documentary about Sherman's March but ends up using it as an excuse to pick up women, and then whine about it whenever it doesn't work out. There are some interesting characters. It's pretty unique though the narrator is such a little bitch.
December 18, 2009
"this isn't art, this is life"
½ November 13, 2009
Much to my personal delight, this documentary has very little to do with Sherman's March and everything to do with the director's search for a mate.
½ October 27, 2009
I really didn't care that this guy wasn't able to 'fall in love' with all the women he had relations with, so I didn't care for the film. I had no interest in knowing anything about Sherman, either.
½ June 29, 2009
When the world leaves you with only lemons... This one took me by surprise as it has nothing to do with what it had originally set out to be. A lovely simple, human's internal struggle.
June 21, 2009
While the premise is about the director recording a series of encounters with various women in the South in search of romantic relationships, what's really interesting was the slew of characters he meets during his journey along Sherman's path and their life, dreams, and their views on topics such as the Civil War and threat of nuclear war. These are made possible through McElwee's use of camera as a solicitor, a key into their more private life. This is very much like the cinema verite technique used by Rouch and Morin in Chronicle of a Summer. In the end the film is very much about Sherman and his march, except it is filtered through McElwee's parallel journey for love, all the while being an ethographic study of Southern identity. And yes it's hilarious as well.
May 30, 2009
What a delightfully odd documentary. Ross McElwee attempts to make a documentary about Northern Civil War General Sherman amidst McElwee's series of failed relationships while making the film and somehow the two subjects weave together awkwardly and beautifully.

05.31.09
81st Film of 2009
½ February 1, 2009
Every time I see this I am reminded of how endearing Ross McElwee is and how I miss the South. A film every Southerner (and Yankee) should see.
½ January 7, 2009
Twenty minutes into this film I couldn't help thinking this was just an overrated film project by a lonely middle-aged man, but it saved itself from that designation as the film wore on. It turned out to be moderately interesting, though about forty minutes too long.
½ October 20, 2008
great doc about a doc
September 8, 2008
The best thing Ross McWeeney ever filmed occurs at the 13-minute mark of this film.