Clean Slate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clean Slate Reviews

½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/13/2008)
July 16, 2013
I Like James Earl Jones.
June 28, 2013
Another bad Dana Carvey movie, but not as bad as the last one I saw which was Master of Disguise. The movie has like 2 laughs and offers absolutely nothing memorable at all and I will probably forget what happened in the film by tomorrow. It is also like the comedy version of Memento without hardly any laughs.
January 11, 2013
The jokes are predictable, but it's not entirely horrible. Just mostly forgettable. It's surprising to see a Carvey role where he does almost no impersonations.
January 9, 2013
A unique story about a private detective named Maurice pogue who when he goes to sleep at night he loses his memory due to an exlosion while solving a case. With the woman who supposedly died in the explosion he must find a rare coin that is worth a lot money and try to escape the bad guys that caused the explosion that wants pogue wiped out before he can testify against them in court. Dana carvey is usually pretty funny and he is in some areas of this movie. I did not think it was that great of a movie but still somewhat enjoyed it. It kept me interested through most of it.
½ November 13, 2012
Proof that Carvey is better in ensemble projects.
½ September 28, 2012
Just saw this on HBO, and I had to keep watching because it was so unusual. Sure, "Memento" flashed through my mind, and it was clear this was supposed to be a send-up of film noirs as well. But the movie, an odd and uneven amalgam of noir-homage, comedy, and mystery, was original in its own right.

The comedic element to the movie was mild, and almost exclusively based on Carvey's reactions to not knowing what's going on almost the entire movie. The comedy scenes were chucklers, never guffaw-worthy. And though I kept expecting Carvey to break into SNL wackiness, he underplays his opportunities for laughs, with only a hint of twinkle in his eye: he's clearly playing a leading man here, which is not what I expected. But he acquits himself fairly well. Plus, I remember Ms. Golino from having a crush on her in "Rain Man;" she's quite luminous here. And you'll recognize Kevin's older sister from "The Wonder Years" in a small femme-fatale role.

To me, what made the movie was how we are plunged into the "what the heck is going on" perspective along with Carvey. Until he falls asleep, we know only what he knows, and in essence, we as the audience are experiencing the same confusion he is. Directorially, that concept was very well created. Once he wakes up, it's "50 First Dates" from a first-person perspective instead of "Memento," and yet the film retains most of its mystery and modest appeal.

All in all, the film was...well, interesting, and diverting, even involving, until the denouement, which after the interesting set-up, ends too quickly, and left me wanting more twists. But I noticed one critic said it's guaranteed that you will forget it by the next morning, a review pullquote that apes the film's concept. Well, I was thinking about it the next morning...thinking how it could have been changed to elevate it from good to great. And it's rare that I think about that after a movie is over, and generally it's only with a movie that's pretty darned good ("Broadcast News" comes to mind--man, how to change those last ten minutes...) Be clear: "Clean Slate" is not "Broadcast News," not even in the same universe. But it's watchable, and for sure it's better than 19%. So if it comes on, try it for a few minutes: I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised.
½ August 21, 2012
Dana Carvy pulls it off because he is a character.
½ July 29, 2012
I was never a real Carvey fan. Even in this cheesy flick, James Earl Jones earned this movie an extra star. I laughed a couple of times, but not really worth renting unless you can watch it via Netflix or w/e free.
March 9, 2012
It doesn't feature any of Carvey's famous impressions, but I actually enjoy this cute, comedic tale.
½ August 3, 2011
Clean Slate, is a dreadfully boring, film. It offers no comedic value, aside from the dog.
½ June 24, 2011
Critics hate this, but I liked it and found it so funny that I may have collapsed a few times. The part when Dana Carvey bursts on stage to get away from the bad guys and begins to conduct a presentation that he knows nothing about is my favorite. It could have been 10 times better without the romance with the femme fatale, though.
½ November 10, 2010
remember this - not funny
November 5, 2010
aside from the dog with bad depth perception, this one is worth missing.
½ September 12, 2010
how come i never heard of this movie? it's great! sorta like My Cousin Vinny meets Ace Ventura meets Memento.
August 24, 2010
Clean Slate is a movie where the concept is funnier than the delivery. On paper, this is a solid idea for a comedy, but on the screen it's too long, and never really finds the big laughs. Also Carvey seems miscast. You can tell he feels reigned in by the material, and the idea that he's some kind of lothario is ridiculous.

Still it does have a couple funny moments.
July 20, 2010
A shaggy dog comedy which seemed to both cash in on the success of Groundhog Day and boost Dana Carvey's career post-Wayne's World. It failed on both accounts.
July 10, 2010
When I first learned about the concept I instantly thought of Memento, but the two could not be more different. This film had a decent concept to build on and a good plot too. The acting was satisfactory, but I just couldn't tell if the film was trying to be serious or funny. I guess it was going for a mix of the two. I can't really pinpoint what it is but for some reason this movie felt really cheap. I have to say though, I really enjoyed the scene where Pogue mistook Cornell for his landlord. Dana Carvey made a pretty good protagonist. Worth watching, but nothing legendary.
½ April 10, 2010
Dana Carvey is the BEST!
March 26, 2010
Dana Carvey does his best here to make Clean Slate entertaining but the film just doesn't live up to its premise and is as bland and forgettable as, well, a clean slate.