Bad Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Girls Reviews

March 19, 2017
Not a whole lot of thrills or originality here, but this might be the first movie I've ever seen where I found Drew Barrymore sexy.
March 7, 2017
A by-the-numbers western that substituted contemporary women of the day for the popular stereotype cowboy buddy film. The film starts out with four female protagonists working as women of the night in a saloon. One of the woman says "no" to a kiss from a colonel visiting the saloon and when he persists, another of the women, Cody, shoots him. Cody is rescued by her fellow compatriots and then they flee town. It's actually more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

The women's quest for independence is the structure the film uses to address the differences between men and women in the early years of the US. The main points touched on were that women didn't have as many options or rights. The film tackles issues like how women without husbands could be beaten and raped with little or no consequences to the men. A woman, without a husband, also could not hold title to land - and therefor if her husband died (or she left him) she became homeless.

All of the darker actions that occur to the women, rapes and beatings, are alluded to - but never shown. The villainous men in the film seem to play their roles as caricatures. I feel that caricaturing the villains downplays the horrendous acts of abuse that women were subjected to during this film and during this time in American history.

All in all, it's a better than average film for it's time, and some of the landscape cinematography is stunning. My one wish is that the producers and director had taken it more seriously. Properly handled, this could have been the western version of "Thelma & Louise".
½ February 19, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ September 18, 2016
A group of old west prostitutes decide to travel further west to seek their fortune by opening up a saw mill in Oregon, they run afoul assorted bad guy and former boyfriends who don't make their dream sawmill an easy one to achieve. "We sold our bodies, why can't we sell some wood?" And with that line, you get a pretty good idea at how dumb this movie is. I suppose I will give the movie credit for at least trying to do a feminist western, but it absolutely fails on all fronts. There's really nothing good about this film unless you want to see a lot of talent (Madeleine Stowe, Mary Stuart Masterson, Andie MacDowell, Drew Barrymore, James Russo [who's one of my favorites], James Le Gros, Robert Loggia, Dermot Mulroney) utterly wasted. The usually reliable Jonathan Kaplan directed this film. Apparently the original director was removed from the film partway into production, all of her footage scrapped, the script completely rewritten, and the end result is this awful mess. The film gets half a star for the Jerry Goldsmith score.
June 20, 2016
Female western that has a decent idea for a movie but not a clue of what to do with the material.
April 9, 2016
2016-04-09 illogical at times, but entertaining enough
August 22, 2015
Bad Girls will disappoint fans of westerns, feminists, horny teenagers, and pretty much anyone else looking for a decent movie. Other than the all-girl cast, it's nothing special, and doesn't even strike a blow for female equality.
½ April 25, 2015
Very boring. Kept waiting for something to happen and nothing did. Very slow, not much action. The only exciting thing/interesting shocking moment was towards the end.Great disappointment.
½ October 30, 2014
A movie that's downright quaint in its ineptitude. A Western about four whores on the run in the Wild West has real grindhouse potential. This gauzy mess (rated PG-13) doesn't deliver any pulp thrills at all.
July 26, 2014
DREADFUL.....AWFUL.....RUBBISH.....THIS IS SUCH A COMPLETLEY DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SO SO SO SO AWFUL........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......it is such a DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH ITS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH....THE PLOT IS REALLY WEAK ITS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH I REALLY DID NOT ENJOY THIS MOVIE AT ALL ITS SUCH A RUBBISH MOVIE 2 WATCH ITS SO AWFUL
January 28, 2014
The wild Western story of four fallen women on the run. Branded as outlaws, pursued by a posse and tracked by Pinkerton detectives, the four must ride together to stay alive. But when they're double crossed by a gang of ruthless desperados, the women decide it's time to stop running, and start fighting!

stars Drew Barrymore, Madeleine Stowe, Mary Stuart Masterson, Andie MacDowell, James Russo, Robert Loggia, James LeGros, Dermot Mulroney and Jim Beaver.

directed by Jonathan Kaplan.
½ November 30, 2013
Plays like a female version of Young Guns. The concept isn't bad, and neither is the cast. The overall execution is lacking, however.
½ September 8, 2013
This movie is just an excuse for Madeleine Stowe to hold a gun and for Drew Barrymore to go topless. The soundtrack is perhaps the worst in movie history. A good movie to show how far movies about women have come in 20 years.
July 8, 2013
yeah it is an extremely campy western but worth watching for a breezy little action and a chance to see some good actresses play badass cowgirls :)
½ March 21, 2013
one of my fave movies growing up
March 18, 2013
I seen it growin up and I love this movie its almost like young guns
March 9, 2013
I love the concept and I love the cast. Unfortunately, it wasn't as much fun as the poster promised.
February 7, 2013
Directed by Jonathan Kaplan (The Accused (1988) and Brokedown Palace (1999)), this is a western with a twist, one which had a troubled production. Originally Tamra Davis (Billy Madison (1995)) was at the helm, but she was fired after a few days, so Kaplan replaced her and the entire script was rewritten while the cast was sent to a boot camp to toughen them up. It makes you wonder whether the original version would have been better or worse. In the Wild West, this follows four prostitutes, Cody Zamora (Madeleine Stowe), Anita Crown (Mary Stuart Masterson), Eileen Spenser (Andie MacDowell) and Lily Laronette (Drew Barrymore), who work in a small town in Colorado, and they have good custom, but when they're driven out of their peaceful existence by Christian zealots and the threat of prison and death. They turn to a life of crime, and end up robbing banks. However, it isn't long before the law is onto them in the form of Detective Graves (Jim Beaver) and Detective O'Brady (Nick Chinlund), then their paths cross with thug Kid Jarrett (James Russo) and his gang. It's not perfect, and it's a good idea not to go looking for any deep messages while watching this film, because their isn't any. The results of it's troubled production showed, with the lop-sided script and all. It could have been so much better, but it ends up being more dull than entertaining.