Speed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Reviews

August 24, 2016
bus jump was bad no inclination. last train scene was even worse. they threw the train in the middle of a the street. no good.
August 2, 2016
Director, Jan de Bont (Twister) directs an awesome and fast paced thriller about a bomb on a bus, that will explode if it goes under 50 mph. The acting in this movie is across the board awesome, and trurly emotional. The music/soundtrack by Mark Mancina, is adrenaline pumping and exciting, the music never slows down, neither does the pace of the movie. This movie is action packed, full of great comic relief, immaculate acting, and great music. Overall, this movie is fun, enthusiastic, and heart pumping.
½ August 2, 2016
Speed is a fantastic and amazing action film. Definitely a very good idea for an action film. This film is Jan De Bont's debut as a director and without a doubt his best film. I love the plot of Speed and it is a film I could watch anytime because it is amazing. I never took my eyes of the screen when I saw Speed as I loved what was happening in it and when you watch Speed you are always dying to see what happens next. The cast is amazing in this film. Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper some of my most favourite actors! They are all excellent in this film. The special effects are great, the acting is incredible and the plot is amazing, everything an action film should be is in Speed. I did spot a few mistakes like you could see the camera man's reflection in a few shots and that shouldn't happen in a film. I would have rated this film 5 stars but there was just that mistake that got Speed 4 and a half stars. But other than that it is an amazing film and definitely a must see! Do not watch Speed 2 as it was a disappointment. Incredible action film! I also liked Jeff Daniels and Joe Morton in Speed too!!
July 28, 2016
****
Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock star in this fast paced thriller, which has great action, a brilliant villain, and Reeves' best performance in a movie to date.
July 5, 2016
seen part of it, looked all right
July 4, 2016
Don't let the bus go below 50!!! Speed is an incredibly enjoyable film with intense action sequences as well as decent performances from Keanu Reeves and Jeff Daniels. I actually like Sandra Bullocks performance too, I though she brought a unique charm and a sense of realistic innocence. This is how you make an action movie.
June 3, 2016
Rating: 78%
Action-packed, thrilling, and benefiting from an attention-grabbing role of Keanu Reeves, Speed is about as respectable and fun as fast-paced actioners get.
May 21, 2016
Tegang banget. Banyak scenario aksi lagendaris, seperti bus terbang, kereta terbang. Reeves dan Bullock pasangan cocok dalam acting. Menarik !
May 14, 2016
Speed compensates for its bad acting with terrific action sequences. Scenes when there isn't much action going on, you'll start to notice the bad acting with Keanu Reeves and the bad script with Sandra Bullock, but the action scenes make this so worth it. Definitely worth a watch. Easy to see why this is such a classic.
Steve Grady
½ May 7, 2016
"Speed" is another one of "Keanu Reeves's" classic 1990's action movies. The plot to "Speed" is that a young police officer named "Jack Traven" portrayed by "Keanu Reeves" who stops a maniac bomber from killing 20 people in an elevator. The bomber gets away but has a new plan, which is to put a bomb on a bus; if the bus goes over 50 miles per hour the bomb is detonated if the bus then goes under 50 miles per hour it will explode. The movie opens with the antagonist of the film "Howard Payne" portrayed by "Dennis Hopper" planting a bomb in a building. The scene is intense and shows how evil "Payne" is. The action-sequences on the bus are terrific; they are both intense and exciting. The movie's climax which takes place on a train is amazing, it works because the movie is so unpredictable and anything can happen. "Keanu Reeves's" acting is good; as usual he gives a calm performance as apposed to an angry and exciting performance. "Sandra Bullock" truly gives a stunning performance as "Annie" and her relationship between her and "Payne" occasionally has its issues but nothing too bad. "Mark Mancina" exceeds in creating some of cinema's best soundtrack. The cinematographer "Jan de Bont" excels in doing something many others failed in, which is filming some of the most exciting scenes in a movie for example the bus-jumping scene. If you are a person who enjoyed watching "The Matrix" or "Point Break" then I recommend you watch "Speed" as it has amazing music, terrific visuals, one of the most original exciting plots of the 1990's and is just an amazing action film. Although the movie isn't perfect it has some issues, these being "Keanu Reeves's" calm acting and some dialogue issues. I give 1994's "Speed" a 9/10.
May 2, 2016
Speed (1994) ????
Rollicking action movie about a young cop who must prevent a bomb exploding aboard a city bus by keeping its speed above 50 mph. Hang on! Scripted by Graham Yost and Joss Whedon, dynamic performances all around. Oscar winner for Sound. Followed by a sequel.
½ April 16, 2016
Well I think 'Under Siege' kick started the term 'Die Hard on a...' back in 1992, then along came this massive action film rollercoaster success in 1994 which coined the highly imaginative term 'Die Hard on a bus'. Holy skidmarks! this film brought back some memories of my teens, I remember this film well and the huge furore it caused, all the girls were banging on about Reeves and all the boys were banging on about Bullock.

The plot is actually quite ingenious really, it sounds insane, how on earth can you set an action film on a bus? we all asked backed in the day. Well obviously there are bits that aren't within the bus of course but the main threat of a bus that can't go below 50mph is a clever plot trick. That's pretty much it really, a bus load of stereotypical everyday commuters are all trapped on a bus which has a bomb underneath. Super cop Keanu Reeves takes on the job of saving the day from the terrorist Dennis Hopper. And at the end of the ride just like Hans Gruber, all the bad guy wants is some money.

Looking back at this its so so damn cheesy I can't believe it, how did we all think this was cool?! The opening credits are some of the worse looking computer effects/text images I've seen, obviously early days back then and boy does it show when 'SPEED' pops up. I mean lets think about this for one moment, how can anyone take an action flick seriously when one of the SWAT guys is played by...Jeff Daniels??!

The main action on the bus which takes up most of the film is undeniably enjoyable still. The whole idea is such a rush and easily translated to film, sure half the time the bus is clearly not going at 50mph (usually much slower) but it still comes across very well. You get every predictable scene you would naturally expect, the film isn't the most original in terms of characters. All the passengers fight amongst themselves, one is a gang member with a gun who of course shoots the bus driver which mean Bullock must drive. One lady is always panicky and slightly hysterical, one guy is mouthy, one guy delivers some comedic lines every now and then, there's a token black couple, a token Latino guy and Reeves of course totally stony faced and stoic at all times.

For the most part the film is quite realistic, but there are some moments which they could of left out. The bus jumping a big gap in an unfinished highway springs to mind which is easily the worse idea ever. The way they let the bomb loaded bus careen into an oncoming airliner once everybody is safely off, surely they should of tried to veer it somewhere so it wouldn't cause massive damage? Of course we all know the reason is merely to show off a nice big explosion at the end, despite the fact in the films plot it may have caused more deaths. What about the guy pulling the plane in his little tug truck??...who cares its a cool explosion!

While we all know that Reeves is the invincible turbo charged heroic cop who never gets tired or injured, he is acceptable for what he is. Bullock on the other hand is not, at no time did I ever accept the fact she could be driving this bus, there's just no way. Bullock is an annoying wet drip of a woman and shows it completely in this film, she flaps, squeals and rarely looks in control. They wouldn't have lasted five minutes in reality with her driving.

On the other hand Hopper is clearly having a blast as this pissed off ex-cop out for revenge. He's dodging around scowling and howling like no ones business, he goes for broke and totally delivers a perfect hammy over the top bad guy. This film really is amusing at times though, like in the finale when Reeves and Hopper are fighting. This young, tough, adrenaline filled ultra cop getting his ass beaten by clearly a late middle aged man who is half his size and can barely run.

The film does tend to lose its edge once the main event of the bomb rigged bus has been solved. The set pieces get more and more ridiculous until we reach the rather overly ridiculous finale with the underground train, which is clearly a model. The film in parts is plain stupid, comic relief from various characters along the way is reasonable I suppose but it all adds to the cheese n ham factor, kinda takes the edge off at times. But overall the film doesn't try to be anything other than a speeding bullet of an action flick that you don't really have to look too deep into. And not often does an action films title sum up the general content so perfectly. Still nowhere near on par with the classic 'Die Hard' but a decent rare original action film.
April 14, 2016
The best Die Hard rip off
½ March 26, 2016
Benefiting from genuine tension and Keanu Reeves' best performance to date, Speed is a deserving action thriller with and awesome middle act and a fantastic villain.

A
March 24, 2016
So laughably bad I can't take it seriously. Pretty stupid. The acting wasn't great either, aside from Dennis Hopper. Campy and cheesy and cliche. And what was wrong with the scene transitions? And yet I can't stop watching this crap, it keeps me entertained most of the whole 2 hours. I guess this makes it a good-bad movie.
½ March 14, 2016
Albeit it is a nail biting flick, the sequences are way too much exaggerated that it seems questioning our logic.
March 13, 2016
Keanu Reeves never yells in movies anymore. He yelled once in John Wick. Anyway, this movie was top of the line Hit man beats the crap out of everyone quite like taken. Bit it's better. The action will knock you out cold, the story will will stoke your fire to the max, and the intensity will have you grinding your teeth to dust. This movie was "JOHN WICKED!!!"
March 13, 2016
A full action film that must see.
March 6, 2016
Speed is an amazing action film with suspense unfolding
March 5, 2016
I love this movie! Probably my all time favorite action flick! It has it all, suspense, a good villain and a unique premise. Time to rewatch soon!