Speed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Reviews

January 19, 2017
Keanu and Sandra...two of the worst actors out there made this hard to watch at times but Dennis Hopper saved it. Typical Keanu role.
½ January 18, 2017
One of my favorite action films of the 90's.
January 8, 2017
Amazing thrill ride of a movie.
January 2, 2017
What an exhilarating piece of cinema! "Speed" is one of my favorite action films of all time and certainly one of the best 90s movies that stands the test of time. This is a film that keeps its suspense all the way through, a film with characters that you genuinely care about (props to Reeves and Bullock for their outstanding performances, and Joss Whedon for the uncredited rewrite), and it is a film filled with gripping moments and work-of-art action set-pieces. After the first 5 minutes, I was locked in and never felt bored throughout the film. "Speed" is a great popcorn entertainment.
December 17, 2016
Love this movie. They are great together. Love the ending.
½ December 3, 2016
It's everything you want it too be. It should have ended on the bus though....
½ December 2, 2016
We always look for originality in action films. We look for something that is not generic something a little more thought out. Speed can be thrown on the list of action films that stood out from the rest. However with originality comes good execution and having all the elements come together to create a kick ass production. Speed doesn't not by any means posses that.
A young Keanu reeves plays Jack Traven a LAPD cop who months earlier stopped a mad bomber from killing a bunch of civilians in elevator. While out in about Traven gets tipped about a speeding bus in LA that he finds out is rigged with an explosive. The explosive will go off if the bus slows down. Its up to Traven to figure out to stop this catastrophe from happening and who's behind it.
At the time it took the high speed vehicle idea to the next level. to me its almost like that years edge of tomorrow except its actually terrible. ill give it props for sound editing and design all the sounds in here were nicely dropped in.
The writing in the dialogue overal is god awful. no sense of sophistication its to generic and simplistic.lines are being forced there is not naturality to any of it and some are so clichéd. however the direction in the story was not bad.
The acting is so bad in here. Dennis Hopper did a piss pour job here as the villain. he was not threatening at all thanks to the writing I didn't find his motivation compelling at all. he is blowing up a bus and getting "Revenge" because his original plan didn't work. Keanu Reeves delivery of some lines in here was so dry and had nothing behind it. Physically he surprised no one but he overall didn't quite give us a worthy action hero to get behind. Sandra bullock was the only one who gave a decent performance in here
the action was predictable I knew what was going to happen each time. It did supply a pretty decent score. All in all I do not understand why this is so beloved. it has so many serious flaws that are easy to point out. Speed is a disappointment in my book honestly speaking.
December 1, 2016
La debole sceneggiatura di Speed rovina quello che poteva essere chiamato uno dei migliori film d'azione degli anni '90, visto che in troppe occasioni i dialoghi sono di una banalità disarmante, con personaggi piuttosto accademici.
November 28, 2016
What a wonderful action thriller it was!! Sucks that they don't make these kinds of movies anymore!
November 23, 2016
Nonsensical, absurd, loud, over-the-top, and terrifically entertaining. This is escapist action cinema personified.

Also, the charisma of Keanu Reeves, the charm of Sandra Bullock, and the scenery-chewing villainy of Dennis Hopper make this popcorn flick all the more fun.
½ November 21, 2016
I'm always delighted when I revisit one of my favorite films from the past and discover it was indeed as awesome as I remember it. Speed is just such a film. I'm going to freely admit that there are some illogical, physics-defying stuff that goes on in this film, but somehow the premise is just crazy enough that I don't care. Even though it's a little crazy and over-the-top, I still think Speed is a well-thought-out script. There are so many setups with just the right pay-offs, and so much time is devoted to planning out inventive methods of solving the puzzles created by the bomber. It actually makes for an engaging and thoughtful storyline, in between all the explosions. Some people like to criticize Keanu Reeves' acting ability, but I think he is perfectly suited to this role. And when he hits that moment of anger and frustration that causes him to boil over, I believed it completely. Dennis Hopper's portrayal of the mad bomber might be one of my favorite villain performances of all time because he perfectly blends intelligence, insanity, anger, and joy into a single character. Now I'll admit, there are some bad cheesy moments and lines particularly from the bus passengers, and there are some plot twists that are overly convenient or downright ridiculous if you apply any thought to them. The joy of Speed, though, is that I'm having such a good time from start to finish that I don't take the time to think about the flaws. This is a film that I find tons of fun, and in my opinion it is one of the best action movies of all time.
September 22, 2016
Keanu Reeves never yells in movies anymore. He yelled once in John Wick. Anyway, this movie was pretty intense and very enjoyable. The action will knock you out cold, the story will will stoke your fire to the max, and the intensity will have you grinding your teeth to dust.
½ September 10, 2016
Thrilling? Yes, Amazing? Yes, Speed is everything an action movie has to be.
August 24, 2016
bus jump was bad no inclination. last train scene was even worse. they threw the train in the middle of a the street. no good.
August 2, 2016
Director, Jan de Bont (Twister) directs an awesome and fast paced thriller about a bomb on a bus, that will explode if it goes under 50 mph. The acting in this movie is across the board awesome, and trurly emotional. The music/soundtrack by Mark Mancina, is adrenaline pumping and exciting, the music never slows down, neither does the pace of the movie. This movie is action packed, full of great comic relief, immaculate acting, and great music. Overall, this movie is fun, enthusiastic, and heart pumping.
½ August 2, 2016
Speed is a fantastic and amazing action film. Definitely a very good idea for an action film. This film is Jan De Bont's debut as a director and without a doubt his best film. I love the plot of Speed and it is a film I could watch anytime because it is amazing. I never took my eyes of the screen when I saw Speed as I loved what was happening in it and when you watch Speed you are always dying to see what happens next. The cast is amazing in this film. Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper some of my most favourite actors! They are all excellent in this film. The special effects are great, the acting is incredible and the plot is amazing, everything an action film should be is in Speed. I did spot a few mistakes like you could see the camera man's reflection in a few shots and that shouldn't happen in a film. I would have rated this film 5 stars but there was just that mistake that got Speed 4 and a half stars. But other than that it is an amazing film and definitely a must see! Do not watch Speed 2 as it was a disappointment. Incredible action film! I also liked Jeff Daniels and Joe Morton in Speed too!!
July 28, 2016
****
Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock star in this fast paced thriller, which has great action, a brilliant villain, and Reeves' best performance in a movie to date.
July 5, 2016
seen part of it, looked all right
July 4, 2016
Don't let the bus go below 50!!! Speed is an incredibly enjoyable film with intense action sequences as well as decent performances from Keanu Reeves and Jeff Daniels. I actually like Sandra Bullocks performance too, I though she brought a unique charm and a sense of realistic innocence. This is how you make an action movie.
June 3, 2016
Rating: 78%
Action-packed, thrilling, and benefiting from an attention-grabbing role of Keanu Reeves, Speed is about as respectable and fun as fast-paced actioners get.