Speed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Reviews

December 30, 2015
Solid 4 stars... the time when the studios did not watered down the movie plots in exchange for a softer rating!!!
December 9, 2015
An intriguing crime story told in a different way. Sandra Bullock was perfect for the side kick role
December 3, 2015
Fresco e excitante, Speed é o primeiro filme de Jan De Bont como diretor, diretor de fotografia há mais de 30 anos. O filme de ação lançado em 1994 conta com o roteiro de Graham Yost. Em Los Angeles, o psicopata Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper) colocou uma bomba em um ônibus, que explodirá caso a velocidade do veículo seja inferior a 80 km/h. Assim Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves), um policial, entra no veículo com ele em movimento e explica a situação aos passageiros, mas um deles, que tinha cometido algum tipo de crime, sente-se perseguido e acaba provocando um tiro acidental, que fere o motorista. Isto força o policial a pedir que Annie Porter (Sandra Bullock), uma passageira, dirija sem deixar cair a velocidade ou todos morrerão, enquanto a polícia tenta encontrar um meio de desarmar a bomba. De Bont e sua equipe transformaram um mero filme de ação visualmente sofisticado de caos que faz o implausível plausível e mantém as emoções até os ultimos minutos sem deixar i ritmo cair.
December 2, 2015
Essential 90s watching
November 30, 2015
In my humble opinion i think this is Keanu Reeves best movie.
½ November 19, 2015
Powered by two great performances from Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper, Speed is a well-paced and intense, as well as awesome, action thriller.
November 9, 2015
one of the best films of 95
½ November 9, 2015
Usually, when director's of photography make the leap into the directing seat, disaster ensues. Its usually not through lack of their visual talent or ability to craft sequences and shots that can go side by side in a solid fashion, instead the burden falls on their inability to steer blissful performances and have an actual pulse that runs through the film. So when extremely talented DOP, Jan De Bont, who's credits include Die Hard and The Hunt For Red October, decided to make his directorial debut, you can imagine the surprise and awe viewers had when witnessing Speed, a fast paced and extremely fun action roller coaster ride, lead by a famous faced cast, which literally blew everyone off their seats. Speed follows the story of Jack Traven and his partner Harry, LA's finest, who are called into a hostage situation when a bomb leaves an elevator full of people hanging by a thread. The couple thwart the charismatic terrorist, Howard Payne, who in turn is left for dead, or so they think... A few days later Payne creates a new plan, one that involves a moving bus and city carnage, forcing Jack and Harry to finish what they started. When you strip Speed down to its bare bones, there are hilarious strands of plot, which force you to suspend disbelief to such an unfathomable level, that if any other film had tried it, we'd laugh it off the screen. Speed however has a brilliant core idea for an action movie and instead of plod along, it thunders through its run time at a galloping pace and never once slows down, while still managing to be as engaging as a film about a speeding bus can be. The script is utterly laughable, firing off cheese ridden lines at every junction and delivered hilariously by every actor signed up, however everything works, Speed doesnt try to take itself too seriously, meaning that when these machismo lines are uttered, we are able to forgive their absurdity and enjoy them for what they are. Much like the tremendous amounts of plot holes that litter the entire film, there are far too many to list, however because De Bont thunders forward, keeping the attention on the problems at hand, rather than the bigger picture, you cannot help but be riveted by what is going on. From the moment Speed fires up its opening titles it revs up to 100 miles per hour and does not stop until the credits, the fact that De Bont is able to achieve such a feat and never have it feel boring, is testament to his talents as an action director, sure the characters are all over the place and the dialogue is atrocious but the fact we care about what we are watching regardless, says more about the film than any review could. The film isnt close to perfect at all, the cast of characters are ham fisted, the dialogue is clunky, the film could be completely dissected and rendered redundant if you stop and think about it, Keanu Reeves is slightly wooden, Jeff Daniels is under utilized, Sandra Bullock is cookie and unbelievably adaptable to the situation at hand and Dennis Hopper has clearly plucked his bad guy from the book of 90's bad guys, however I challenge anyone not to have fun with this film. Most impressive and the films super power is its action sequences, the entire film practically, but everything, minus the smallest amount of digital effect work, is filmed in camera, cars explode and are demolished on the LA freeway, Keanu Reeves dangles under a bus, passengers attempt a high speed escape, planes explode, trains destroy entire subways, lifts demolish the bottom floors of buildings, its all completely ludicrous but utterly enjoyable. De Bont crafts a blindingly high paced action movie that is fun to watch, you are willing to forgive some outlandish flaws, its not a cinematic masterpiece but the fact the famed DOP achieves this feat, its essential viewing from a time when action movies were fun and CGI was not littered over everything.
October 30, 2015
I Was Enthralled By This Thrill Ride Of A Story! It Gas Since Been Lampooned & Characterized In Comedy Bits, But They Say Imitation Is The Biggest Form Of Flattery.
½ October 24, 2015
Good movie that I can't believe I haven't seen until now.
October 17, 2015
Powerfull , Suspence from start to finish , a cool bad guy ...a classic everybody knows my idea , my 4th time seeing this ...last time long ago till yesterday ! SOMDVD
½ October 14, 2015
Great plot, a lot of fun, convoluted execution
½ September 18, 2015
great fun and intense movie. really awesome idea for the premise. taken in all the right directions. definitely a few dumb things and Keanu Reeves's acting was pretty horrible at times but still entertaining overall. good music I liked the villain a lot too (3 viewings)
August 31, 2015
Speed has a simple plot that makes it an incredible action adventure movie. There's no huge story or big production. Its just a bus that cant travel under 50 MPH or it explodes. What can be more simple and more entertaining than this? A good perfromance, but Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullocks acting and dialogue is far from great but their scenes together on the bus were really fun to watch. Its fast paced, exciting, and heart pounding. That's all you need for a entertaining action flick and Speed provides that for you.
August 26, 2015
Exhuma noventerismo, pero eso no le quita ni un apice de valor al mega thriller frenetico que todo el mundo recuerda. Eso no es nada fácil de hacer.
August 25, 2015
One of the 10 best action movies I have ever seen.
Highly recommended.
August 20, 2015
One of the best, and most fun, action films ever made.
½ August 10, 2015
Keanu's best non Matrix movie
½ August 9, 2015
This is one of the best action films I have ever seen and with out a doubt director Jan De Bonts best film. I love Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in this film they are two of my most favourite actors. Speed is an action packed thrill ride which never slows down. Dennis Hopper is great in this film and it is dedicated to his memory. As I always say I love unpredictable films you never know what will happen in this film you always worry that the bomb on the bus will blow up at anytime in the film. It must have been a hard film to shoot but it was shot very well. There are a few mistakes in this film but it is still an amazing action film. Disappointing that the sequel to this film failed to impress but on the bright side this was incredible. A really nice idea.
August 9, 2015