Blown Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blown Away Reviews

August 29, 2016
I haven't seen this film in over twenty years.. But not a bad film for it's time period. IRA was making headlines back then.
½ August 8, 2016
Pretty great 90s thriller. Jones and Bridges are awesome as usual. I find it hilarious, that they both put on thick authentic Irish accents, but test audiences complained that they couldn't understand what they were saying, so they had to go in and rerecord their lines twice (dialing it back each time) before people were happy and understood them, only for audiences to now complain that they have bad fake Irish accents.
July 30, 2016
Entertaining thriller with good actors.
½ July 29, 2016
Sickeningly unacceptable.
July 7, 2016
Ten stars if I could
½ January 20, 2016
While Tommy Lee Jones goes all out on that accent to the point where it is beyond distracting, it is still a fine thriller. I had fun and I am sure you will too.
½ July 13, 2015
It's hard to believe that a movie with Jeff Bridges, Tommy Lee Jones, and Forest Whitaker could be a flop, but it is. The plot is both formulaic and implausible. In one scene, a bomb is attached to a student's computer. The student is forced to keep typing, or the bomb will go off. The catch is that when the computer runs out of memory, the bomb will explode. Even in 1994 (when this movie was made) a person could type on a computer for an entire year without using up all of the memory.

I am not sure which is worse Tommy Lee Jones caricature like portrayal of an IRA bomber, or his horrible Irish accent.

Jeff Bridges character has an American accent, despite the fact we later find out that he was born and raised in Ireland. In the scene that Bridges reveals he was a former IRA member, he suddenly develops an Irish accent, but the accent leaves as quickly as it comes.

Forest Whitaker has shown himself to be a brilliant actor, winning the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Idi Amin in the King of Scotland, but in this film his acting is sloppy, laughable, and child like.

I was hoping this film was going to be a hidden gem, but it turned out to be nothing more than a lump of coal.
½ July 7, 2015
the last bomb makes the whole movie worth it.
½ April 19, 2015
Ho-hummer that bores much more than entertains.
April 8, 2015
This is one of the greatest thrillers of this decade.
½ April 7, 2015
For The Bridges and FONDA! Can you imagine her career if she did a Hemingway? Ahhhhhh maybe the artificial effects wouldn't make a difference?
½ April 6, 2015
Somehow worse than the Blown Away starring the two Coreys that was made at around the same time.
March 8, 2015
Dated, a little overplayed. But any excuse to see Tommy Lee Jones play a nutter is worth a look.
February 26, 2015
She loves me. She loves me...

A police captain decides to retire from the force and try to live a normal life when trouble from his past arrives in the area and starts blowing things up. The serial bomber is tied to the captain's past and recently broke out of an Irish prison hell bent on revenge. The captain will have to come out of retirement to bring this demon down.

"Your daughter just got home."

Stephen Hopkins, director of A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child, Judgment Night, Predator 2, Lost in Space (1998), The Reaping, and The Ghost in the Darkness, delivers Blown Away. The storyline for this picture is pretty interesting and a unique addition to the action genre. The concept was fairly original and the acting was above average. The cast includes Jeff Bridges, Tommy Lee Jones, Suzy Amis, Lloyd Bridges, Forest Whitaker, and John Finn.

"I've come here to create a new country for you called chaos, and a new government called anarchy."

I saw this for the first time in Chicago at the movie theatres in 1994 with my aunt and uncle. I decided to watch this again off HBOGO recently. I always enjoyed this film and thought the concept was fairly cool (as was seeing Tommy Lee Jones with that Irish accent). This isn't a great flick but is a nice popcorn movie for a random Friday night.

"Balance in all things."

Grade: C+
½ February 23, 2015
In spite of a majorly campy and over-the-top performance by Jones, this action movie was pretty good. Bridges was eminently believable as the Irish rogue masquerading as the American bomb expert. The story has flaws but was paced well and full of action. I enjoyed it.
½ November 26, 2014
This movie is so '94 and I still think it's pretty solid despite a lackluster ending. Tommy Lee Jones really goes for it and Lebowski plays his similar "hero" as you'll later see in Arlington Road. Nice mid '90's movie.
November 2, 2014
Felt like it could have been far better! Nothing exceptional here.
½ October 21, 2014
This was a disappointment. With Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones as the leads in a film about a mad bomber loose in Boston, you set your expectations high. But director Stephen Hopkins piles on the melodrama, which kills the tension. Shoddy accents (both Irish and Bostonian) and a total B.S. finale don't help, either.
½ July 27, 2014
They say that it was released a few months after Speed, so I say this is as good as that film. This has more in depth study of how the world of bomb terrorism works to the modern world. What else, just see the film darn it!