Great Expectations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Expectations Reviews

½ September 7, 2015
Considering this is a television reproduction of the Charles Dickens classic novel, it is surprisingly good. Even more surprising it was supposed to be a musical, but the filmmakers completely cut the music, and it does not show. The problem is that the Dickens story and the main character, Pip, is most frustrating, undoing much of the good efforts. It is a classic coming of age tale divided into three parts. First, we meet a youthful boy amidst a difficult life of a laboring family. An eccentric wealthy old woman pays Pip to play with a rich girl, Estella, for her entertainment. He immediately falls for her and her luxurious lifestyle, even though she treats him like garbage. Later as a young man, he seeks to rise above his current poverty to a life of riches where he can win Estella's affection. Amazingly, he encounters an offer of a large sum of money from an anonymous donor to become a refined gentleman, just as he wanted. After becoming a distinguished man of class, he learns where his money comes from and feels disillusioned with his phony lifestyle. He matures as a man but at no point puts this despicably proud woman out of his thoughts. The characters and the situation are interesting, but the values I identify with are not. Pip's unwavering love for Estella is largely for her superficial lifestyle, but he does not realize this or rise above her. The acting and direction are good but with a frustrating main character like this, it is hard to like it. It is a fine movie, but I blame the shortcomings on Charles Dickens and his characters.
May 29, 2014
Since I'm on the kick of reviewing the films of my favorite Dickens story, here's the first one I ever saw and I believe it was on Masterpiece Theatre (I know it was PBS) back in the day. Hard to fault the sincerity in which this was made, although the usually great Michael York was just a bit dull and James Mason didn't really possess the danger of a convict.
½ January 23, 2013
James Mason a great Magwitch, Miss Havisham brilliantly creepy. Not a lover of Sarah Miles as Estella though. Movie from my childhood.
½ July 11, 2012
Fairly dry and mostly dull telling of the classic Charles Dickens tale. Interesting enough, if you haven't read the book, but there are much better adaptations out there.

Or just read the book.
½ January 1, 2011
Good acting from York, but other than that, I didn't care for this movie. It's slow and boring and predictable. The book is probably better.
April 27, 2010
Haven't seen the film yet...
May 5, 2008
This is also the version that I grew up with and adored - although not artistically very strong. Beautiful score from Maurice Jarre. I just love Michael York, Margaret Leighton and Sarah Miles.
½ April 3, 2008
This is the version of Great Expectations that I grew up with ... and in my opinion much better than the 1998 version with Paldrow and Hawks.
½ March 3, 2008
Much better that the shocking remake with Gwyneth Paltrow.
December 27, 2007
My favourite version of the story.
November 20, 2007
Of course the book is better, but blah blah blah
July 24, 2007
A great piece of work by Charles Dickens.
½ June 16, 2007
Peh... James Mason though.
May 17, 2007
Umm...This isn't the version I saw, but it's the closest thing to it. The version I like has Anthony Calf as Pip and he's cute!
April 5, 2007
Eh. Not terrible, but definitely the worst Great Expectations version.
½ March 23, 2007
Love the story but I think the 1946 version is better.
½ March 22, 2007
love the convict! hated the book (maybe because it was required reading in 9th grade) but love the movie.
February 6, 2007
I loved this the first time I saw it