Bellissima - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bellissima Reviews

½ December 6, 2016
Bellissima is a masterpiece ahead of its time. It shows an Italy as we know it now and I believe as it was then although it was filmed way back in 1951. It is a piece of amazing Neo realism that is up there with the likes of Harold Pinter and an amazing comedy from the outset. A fast paced naturally scripted timeless classic that touches on a Zeitgeist so in-keeping with today's fascination with celebratety that it makes you wonder how little we've moved on. The plot is similar to Little Miss Sunshine, showing the drive of a mother to promote her daughter to stardom. But it's so much more. Just do yourself a favour and watch it. I was engrossed and entertained from the onset. It is truly an amazing cinematic accomplishment. Such amazing acting from Anna Magnani.
November 24, 2016
Anna Magnani is a true Italian delight, so charismatic and funny, and she makes it real difficult for us not to sympathize with her character for trying so hard to enroll her little daughter in a film part competition, in this amusing and touching story that has its heart in the right place.
February 9, 2016
An interesting part of this film was the scene when Maria is crying during the filming of the screen test. The camera is on Maria and her mother in the projector room when suddenly it shifts to the screen they are watching. The viewer is now presented with an extreme close-up of Maria. This is similar to the ending scene in The Bicycle Thief when the audience comes face to face with an intense, close-up shot of Bruno. This seems characteristic of neorealism filmmakers to isolate a child in a dramatic way.

Bellissima was primarily characterized by medium shots in which the figures and parts of the background were visible. However, in this dramatic shot featuring Maria, it is clear that Visconti wanted to not only visually confront the viewer but also emotionally confront the viewer. Moreover, this tactic visually cues the viewer to recognize that the climax is taking place.
½ September 26, 2013
For those parents who want their children become high-achievers, please attend the lecture of Luchino Visconti and pay close attention to Anna Magnani's presentation, then you should realize nothing is bigger than letting your children be what they will be. This hilarious yet acute criticism of the phony vanity fair works because of the flamboyant Anna Magnani. She is magnificent.
August 26, 2013
With one of the greatest performances ever from Anna Magnani, Bellissima is a neorealist masterpiece that the overshadowing of another films of the movement is terrible, this is a magnificient film with a terrific confrontation to cinema business and what a mother is capable to do for her daughter. An inspiring and breathless film with complex characters and funny dialogues.
½ September 12, 2012
,,,,? (R)~",'???,"???????",?????"? (R)~",'?????Dignity???? (R)?貫?-? 1/4?,"?????
July 18, 2012
grande film con una splendida e bravissima Anna Magnani...
May 3, 2012
A realistic portrait of the life behind the cinema, a movie about illusion, dreams and frustrations
September 19, 2010
5 stars to Anna Magnani!
August 5, 2009
Eternal topic - Mom seeks realization through her child, the illusory dream of stardom. Classic aesthetics. Top-brass acting. Anna Magnani at her best as noisy passionate Italian mother. Whoever can still make it to Flagey in Bxl this summer shouldn't miss out on this wonderful Visconti.
June 28, 2009
I've watched only five Visconti films,and I loved them!
Anna Magnani is terrific as a mother who wants her daughter to become an actress. "Bellissima" criticizes the cinema industry in a dramatic way that only a director like Visconti could have done.
½ November 19, 2008
Aangrijpend verhaal over moeder die het beste wil voor haar kind, met allerlei gevolgen. Leuk om de Cinecitta -studio's in hun glorie te zien. Prachtige vertolking door karaktermadam Anna Magnani.
November 4, 2008
A true classic by Mr. Luchino Visconti. I was so lucky to enjoy this movie on the big picture in the cinema. I was surprise by the degree of social realism i 1950's movie making. The director surely is a maestro steering this movie with a very skillful and steady hand. He got some excellent actors to work with. Very italian and very masterly composed.
½ September 24, 2008
"Can't you see? She's picking strawverries!"

Anna Magnani is a true delight!

*Review coming soon*
September 13, 2008
A brilliant film on the idea of film-making. My favourite scene was the one in the house where the husband confronts her and we see how amazingly badass the acting of Magnani is. I loved the way the entire situation plays into these idea of what you honour most and shows how flawed even the most innocent are, how guilty and damaged and how bad ideas are in everyone of us.
½ April 20, 2008
Bellissima fait encore quelques emprunts au neorealisme, mais on est bien loin de La Terre Tremble ou des Amants Diaboliques et de la decadende du proletariat qui y est evoquee ; tout simplement parce que le scenario de Bellissima est signe Zavattini et que Visconti semble se contenter de juste le transposer en images. Meme si la paternite du film revient plutot a Zavattini et qu'il ne s'agit guere d'un film personnel de Visconti ; Bellissima reste un beau film, quoique peut-etre decevant pour sa fin qui semble quelque peu invraisemblable.
April 6, 2008
Good story with great performances.
½ April 2, 2008
If you like b&w. Anna Magnani's great as Mum who wants her daughter to be filmstar. Visconti's as good as Felini